Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#471013 - 06/10/19 04:44 PM Re: Joey D and Hammond Fans [Re: Dnj]
Happy Birthday tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Originally Posted By Dnj

Fingers?.. Lol

Practice makes perfect!

Actually, only PERFECT practice makes perfect ...

#471014 - 06/10/19 04:54 PM Re: Joey D and Hammond Fans [Re: Stephenm52]
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
Donny, I have a $1 bill that says I can practice day and night, night and day for the rest of my life and I won’t become a Joey D, or any other great musician.

#471017 - 06/10/19 05:01 PM Re: Joey D and Hammond Fans [Re: Stephenm52]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By Stephenm52
Donny, I have a $1 bill that says I can practice day and night, night and day for the rest of my life and I won’t become a Joey D, or any other great musician.

#471018 - 06/10/19 05:06 PM Re: Joey D and Hammond Fans [Re: Dnj]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By Dnj

Steve don't worry about Joey D and everybody else practice.. learn from others...
gain as much experience as you can... become your own player.... no need to compare yourself to anybody else...

Edited by Dnj (06/10/19 05:07 PM)

#471019 - 06/10/19 05:43 PM Re: Joey D and Hammond Fans [Re: Stephenm52]
Happy Birthday tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA

Be the best that YOU can be !!!

hmmmm where did I hear that before ? wink

#471021 - 06/10/19 06:41 PM Re: Joey D and Hammond Fans [Re: Stephenm52]
Jerry T Offline

Loc: Phila. 'burbs, Pa. USA
Joey D was a child prodigy. Years ago, (feels like a lifetime ago), I did music comedy for a variety show (remember variety shows) - singers, dancers, comedians, big band, acrobats etc. A 14-15 year old Joey D. was featured on a B3 with his father (a fine horn player) and a drummer. For these shows, I did “floor comedy” between acts - curtain drawn as they set up for the next act. I remember well, when Joey performed, the guys in the big band and other music acts were on top of each other in the wings trying to get a glimpse of this kid. He was/is a phenom.

#471024 - 06/10/19 06:57 PM Re: Joey D and Hammond Fans [Re: tony mads usa]
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By tony mads usa

Be the best that YOU can be !!!

hmmmm where did I hear that before ? wink

smile smile smile

Originally Posted By Jerry T
Joey D was a child prodigy. Years ago, (feels like a lifetime ago), I did music comedy for a variety show (remember variety shows) - singers, dancers, comedians, big band, acrobats etc. A 14-15 year old Joey D. was featured on a B3 with his father (a fine horn player) and a drummer. For these shows, I did “floor comedy” between acts - curtain drawn as they set up for the next act. I remember well, when Joey performed, the guys in the big band and other music acts were on top of each other in the wings trying to get a glimpse of this kid. He was/is a phenom.

Great story Jerry, thanks for posting that one. I just took a look at Joey’s Wikipedia article and found this :

“DeFrancesco began playing the organ at the age of 4 and was playing songs by Jimmy Smith verbatim by the time he was 5. His father John began taking him to gigs from the age of 5, letting him sit in on sets.[10] “

Edited by Stephenm52 (06/10/19 07:01 PM)

#471033 - 06/11/19 06:42 AM Re: Joey D and Hammond Fans [Re: Stephenm52]
Dnj Offline

#471036 - 06/11/19 07:37 AM Re: Joey D and Hammond Fans [Re: Stephenm52]
Bill Lewis Offline

Loc: Bluffton/Hilton Head SC USA
I love Joey and it goes to show what exposing a child at an early age to music can do. Imagine one of your first "toys" being a Hammond B3 ! And having a dad who was a pretty good player right there to show you right off how to play it.
I didn't get my hands on a hammond until I was 18 and even though jazz was a foreign language in the suburbs of NJ I loved jimmy Smith. I though he did all the bass on the pedals so I concentrated on learning them. Asked all the piano teachers in my college how to do organ bass like him and they were clueless. Everything taught was Classical playing. Even took a semester of Classical organ to get better on the pedals. I got pretty good, THEN I find out its all LH !!!
No Internet or Youtube to learn from.
While Joey was getting exposure to the jazz scene as a kid we were all learning Good Loving on our Farfisa's LOL!
Expose kids to ALL types of music while they're young, the benefits are many besides becoming a musician. The Arts in schools is important !

#471043 - 06/11/19 09:58 AM Re: Joey D and Hammond Fans [Re: Stephenm52]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
I saw three doctors last week. One a keyboard/piano player, one a guitar player, and the other a drummer. A large number of doctors have music training.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online