SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#470698 - 06/03/19 08:16 AM Re: Playing Legrand Tunes in 10 minutes... [Re: cgiles]
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Originally Posted By cgiles
Thanks Fran. The changes are correct although we play it in a different key (G). Bob likes the Nancy Wilson version, Sinatra does a nice job but personally, I like the version by Little Jimmy Scott best. Just personal choice, that's all.

chas

I like Fiona Apple's recording (maybe it is her look)… and the often overlooked Brook Benton's recording.

#470699 - 06/03/19 08:20 AM Re: Playing Legrand Tunes in 10 minutes... [Re: Fran Carango]
Dnj Offline

Sad part is ask the kids today or the first 25 people that walk down the street what song that is
or if they have a heard it and they have no idea what you're talking about...

Edited by Dnj (06/03/19 01:48 PM)

#470704 - 06/03/19 09:44 AM Re: Playing Legrand Tunes in 10 minutes... [Re: cgiles]
captain Russ Online   content

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Got it...played it with my long-time partner, Tommy Johnston, the baddest B-3 player I ever worked with.

Chas occasionally makes me think of Tommy when I hear him.

Russ

#470705 - 06/03/19 10:15 AM Re: Playing Legrand Tunes in 10 minutes... [Re: captain Russ]
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
'Why try to change me now". That song sounds like it was composed by a guy who got caught cheating by his current wife with whom he was cheating on his ex-wife with. Another possible title could have been "Well, what did you expect?". Uh, I may have just destroyed the beauty and innocence of this song. Oh well.

chas

#470710 - 06/03/19 01:20 PM Re: Playing Legrand Tunes in 10 minutes... [Re: Dnj]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Originally Posted By Dnj
Sad part is ask the kids today or the first 25 people that walk down the street what song that is or if they have a heard it and they have no idea what you're talking about...

Yes, Donny, but someone could play a bunch of songs from the 1920's for me and I might not know them either ...
it happens with every generation ... It's called LIFE ...

#470718 - 06/03/19 02:37 PM Re: Playing Legrand Tunes in 10 minutes... [Re: captain Russ]
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
I can recognize the quality of music..
The best music was written in the 30's and 40's (my parents generation).

Music and lyrics have steadily falling.. Naturally the 50's and 60's are fond to me because of growing up years. And from mid 60's thru mid 80's a mix of some great and good material (stuff I had to play because it was popular at the time..). 90's to date the vast majority I don't care for and I don't have to like or play,, thankfully..

I an glad , playing "oldies" is acceptable. smile

#470719 - 06/03/19 02:47 PM Re: Playing Legrand Tunes in 10 minutes... [Re: Fran Carango]
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Originally Posted By Fran Carango

The best music was written in the 30's and 40's

I agree 100%. You can always pick out a few blockbuster hits or quality tunes from the decades following but....overall and for sheer volume of quality tunes, I think Fran got it right. There's a reason why most of the 'Standards' were written during that era and WHY THEY'RE CALLED STANDARDS.

Of course Fran and I could be wrong, but that's rare smile smile.

chas

#470720 - 06/03/19 02:53 PM Re: Playing Legrand Tunes in 10 minutes... [Re: Fran Carango]
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By Fran Carango
I can recognize the quality of music..
The best music was written in the 30's and 40's (my parents generation).

Music and lyrics have steadily falling.. Naturally the 50's and 60's are fond to me because of growing up years. And from mid 60's thru mid 80's a mix of some great and good material (stuff I had to play because it was popular at the time..). 90's to date the vast majority I don't care for and I don't have to like or play,, thankfully..

I an glad , playing "oldies" is acceptable. smile

Good points and I share that view too.

#470726 - 06/03/19 08:26 PM Re: Playing Legrand Tunes in 10 minutes... [Re: captain Russ]
Riceroni9 Offline

Loc: TX, USA
I really enjoy "old standards"... but I would argue that good music has been created after the 30's and 40's... and will continue to be written and performed long after we are all "in that other place." If you imply that a great deal of pure manure is also being created... and has been for a number of years, you would be 100% correct.

Music tastes have changed among the young, clueless and uninitiated... and at least 75% of today's audiences are hooked on "beats" and mindless or downright insulting lyrics. Thankfully, there are those who "soldier on" to keep traditions alive and introduce the young and impressionable to what good music is really all about.

Freedom of choice is a wonderful thing. One of my goals about my less than auspicious song-writing career (or hobby if monetary reward is factored-in) was to write the equivalent of a couple of old standards as I labored to meet my goal of 1000 songs written and recorded. I've come close a couple of times... I believe... but my ears tell me I'm not there yet. Failure isn't all bad when it becomes a learning tool... and there is always hope.

Now that the pressure is off... I spend most of my time pouring over my catalog to see what songs might be recorded better or relegated to the scrap heap if they can't be salvaged.

Music... and the making and/or performing thereof... should be fun. Thankfully, it still is.

Keep up the good work, guys. Your collective talent is extraordinary. ----Dave

#470728 - 06/03/19 09:21 PM Re: Playing Legrand Tunes in 10 minutes... [Re: captain Russ]
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Hi
Don’t think it was mentioned, but I think Summer of 42 was one of his ?
Love that tune.
Brings back great memories, used to practice playing it for hours.
( Don’t think I ever quite got it right , haha. My piano playing left a lot to be desired)

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online