SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#470605 - 05/31/19 05:22 AM iPhone or Android....and WHY?
Dnj Offline

I had android years ago.......
then switched to Iphone 4s when Siri came out,...
got frustrated with iTUnes vs drop & drag copy paste with android OS.
Now I've had Samsung Galaxy 6,7,8,9,....
but reading that NEW iPhone 11 is coming soon in September
and many apps are only made for Apple thinking of a change again.
iPhone 11
Love my New iPad also but at home use a PC desktop.
Hmmmmmmmm Decisions...

#470609 - 05/31/19 07:24 AM Re: iPhone or Android....and WHY? [Re: Dnj]
girljam Offline

Loc: FL
Good morning, and I am in the same predicament! Have an older Ipad, and an andriod tablet and phone, but looks like most of the apps are usuable only with IOs , i.e. Apple platform...
May have to bit the bullet and get a new Ipad

PSR S970, PSR S910, ShureSM57 mics, and way too much misc.

#470610 - 05/31/19 07:33 AM Re: iPhone or Android....and WHY? [Re: girljam]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By girljam
Good morning, and I am in the same predicament! Have an older Ipad, and an andriod tablet and phone, but looks like most of the apps are usuable only with IOs , i.e. Apple platform...
May have to bit the bullet and get a new Ipad

I agree I am glad I waited and researched before buying.....
super happy with my new iPad.

#470613 - 05/31/19 08:15 AM Re: iPhone or Android....and WHY? [Re: Dnj]
girljam Offline

Good to know!!! What model is it?

#470620 - 05/31/19 10:49 AM Re: iPhone or Android....and WHY? [Re: Dnj]
Bachus Offline

Originally Posted By Dnj
I had android years ago.......
then switched to Iphone 4s when Siri came out,...
got frustrated with iTUnes vs drop & drag copy paste with android OS.
Now I've had Samsung Galaxy 6,7,8,9,....
but reading that NEW iPhone 11 is coming soon in September
and many apps are only made for Apple thinking of a change again.
iPhone 11
Love my New iPad also but at home use a PC desktop.
Hmmmmmmmm Decisions...

Why i choose iphone..

- clean easy straightforward interface
- software support, almost a decade for current models, an i[hone 6 still runs the latest os, thats a 6 year old phone
- resale vallue.. i sold my 4 year old iphone last year for €300
- security, the appstore is 100% safe and virus free..
- build quallity (nothing beats apple there)
- i can share my apps for free on all my apple devices and with my fammily
- apps.. there is just more usefull highquallity apps on the appstore(espescially music related)
- it just allways works...and does what i want when i want..
- with the long life time(both hardware and software) you dont allways need the latest model

Edited by Bachus (05/31/19 10:50 AM)

http://keyszone.boards.net

#470622 - 05/31/19 10:57 AM Re: iPhone or Android....and WHY? [Re: Dnj]
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
I say use whatever you feel comfortable with. Me? Going back to 2007 I purchased my first iMac computer. When Android phones were released I purchased one. I can't say exactly when since it's been almost 10 years ago but Apple made the iPhone easier to integrate with Microsoft Outlook the mail program I supported at my job. The firm I worked for equipped employees with iPhones and they were easy to configure system-wide versus the Blackberry devices the attorneys had been using. One thing led to another, the iPad was released I purchased one, then came Mac Book Pro.

Today I use a 12.9 iPad Pro 2nd generation and find it a great tool not only for music but for my hobby of photography.
So the story is I became entrenched in the Apple Ecosystem for quite a number of years. I still do today and when I retired from full-time work in 2013 my Windows use pretty much stopped. I still own a Windows laptop because as a former IT guy it's in my blood and I boot it up from time to time.

With the Iphone 11 there's talk that the top of the line model will have 3 camera lenses for different focal lengths. Maybe not a big attraction for many but if youo play with photography it's a breakthrough. Most TOTL line phones today take great photos and has really put a dent in sales of the so called point and shoot cameras.

Edited by Stephenm52 (05/31/19 11:00 AM)

#470623 - 05/31/19 11:46 AM Re: iPhone or Android....and WHY? [Re: Dnj]
IMMusic_Curt Offline

Loc: New Symrna Beach, Fl.
Always an interesting topic. We bought the very first iPhone (yeah - dumb enough to stand in line for hours and hours (More than Once!)). At the time we were a Windows shop due to our job. Over time we have added newer iPhones, iPads, and AppleTV's to the household.

As we were doing that we were still running Windows and running Calkwalk/Sonar as our preferred DAW. Then Cakewalk went belly-up. That was enough to move us from Windows to Mac, and we switched from Cakewalk to Logic Pro. (Of course, since then Cakewalk was rescued by the folks at Bandlab and is now FREE!)

Is it (Apple) a perfect solution? No, but since we are pretty much Apple everything - It all works well together. The odd part? To this day, we run Windows as a virtual machine on our Mac. We have two apps installed on that VM - Cakewalk (so we can open the hundreds of projects we did with Cakewalk) and a monitoring tool we use to monitor our home network.

Pick what works best for you. We are very happy in the Apple world and see no reason to move everything back to Windows.

#470624 - 05/31/19 12:19 PM Re: iPhone or Android....and WHY? [Re: IMMusic_Curt]
Dnj Offline

I have the "JUMP" feature in my phone plan provider which will let me keep upgrading to any phone that comes along in the future....
so maybe I'll hold out till September it's not far off and then change to the iPhone 11. The Apple music apps are hard to beat ..

Edited by Dnj (05/31/19 12:42 PM)

#470625 - 05/31/19 12:26 PM Re: iPhone or Android....and WHY? [Re: Dnj]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
My LG G4 is getting old now, but it has a fantastic camera. You can change the battery if ever needed, or change to a bigger battery, which I have done.
It has SD card for extra storage. If it ever quits I'll get another LG more than likely.
I have found all the apps I've needed, but I don't use much in the way of music apps.

#470629 - 05/31/19 02:29 PM Re: iPhone or Android....and WHY? [Re: Dnj]
travlin'easy Online   happy

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
The one and only reason I purchased a smart phone, an Android ON5, was for safety while sailing. Sailboats are slow and comfortable riding, even during times when you would be getting your ass handed to you while aboard a similar size powerboat. The only problem is you cannot go faster than hull speed, which in my case, on a 33-foot, 15,000-pound displacement hull, is just about 10 MPH maximum speed - and that's under ideal conditions under sail. Under auxiliary power, about 7 MPH is tops. When you're in the middle of Chesapeake Bay and 10 miles from land and moving at 7MPH, it is hard to dodge a severe thunderstorm headed at you at 45 MPH. My onboard radar only has a 25-mile range, but with the phone I can see those storm fronts rolling at me from hundreds of miles away and find a sheltered creek or cove to take cover long before it hits.

When there are thunderstorms approaching, I need some advance warning, therefore the smart phone allows me to get that warning from a NOAA Weather Radar app. Additionally, there is a complete, marine, navigational GPS/Plotter app, which I have installed, which has charts of the entire US and most foreign nation waterways, including depth, current and tidal information - all at the touch of a finger.

For all the other stuff, texting, etc..., I just rely on the old fashioned and extremely efficient method - a good old telephone call works just fine. I can then have a two-way conversation with the person at the other end and they can do the same with me. Very fast and convenient, those phone calls. wink

The camera is pretty darned good, but doesn't compare with my conventional digital camera and my GoPro.

All the best,

Gary cool

Edited by travlin'easy (05/31/19 02:32 PM)

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#470633 - 05/31/19 03:02 PM Re: iPhone or Android....and WHY? [Re: Dnj]
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Apple. Bose. Bands.
Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica.
(brownie points if you get the second reference!)

#470638 - 05/31/19 05:18 PM Re: iPhone or Android....and WHY? [Re: DonM]
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Originally Posted By DonM
My LG G4 is getting old now, but it has a fantastic camera. You can change the battery if ever needed, or change to a bigger battery, which I have done.
It has SD card for extra storage. If it ever quits I'll get another LG more than likely.
I have found all the apps I've needed, but I don't use much in the way of music apps.

My LG 8.3 tablet and LG smart phone have both been winners..

BTW: I am not sure that apple apps dominate the market as we are lead to believe.. I know the vast majority of my music software works with Android and Windows.. I bet we would be surprised to know the truth..

#470641 - 06/01/19 12:04 AM Re: iPhone or Android....and WHY? [Re: Fran Carango]
Bachus Offline

Originally Posted By Fran Carango

BTW: I am not sure that apple apps dominate the market as we are lead to believe.. I know the vast majority of my music software works with Android and Windows.. I bet we would be surprised to know the truth..

Here is a list of musical orientated programs i use on my ipad...
tell me which ones also work on Android

- musescore
- songbook +
- forscore
- audiobus
- aum
- beatmaker 3
- garageband
- cubasis
- camelot pro
- keystage
- korg gadget
- korg iwavestation
- Korg iM1
- Korg module
- yamaha soundmondo
- yamaha music synthesizer
- yamaha chord tracker
- yamaha fm essentials
- Xmure
- Moog model D
- Annimoog
- Waldorf Wave
- Syntronik
- Sampletank
- Neo soul keys
- Synth one
- Digital D1
- Geoshred
- Aurillus 3
- Bismarck (soundfont player with strong synth engine)
- iprophet
- isem
- synthmaster
- factory
- Apparillo
- sunrizer

Please tell me how many of these high quallity programs and virtual instruments have an android version? To proof your claim that Android is on par with Ios for music making.. you have been making bold claims about android, so take up this challenge and browse how many of my favorite apps are on android? I bet you will just find a handfull that work on both,

Maybe there are some programs that do the same on android, but often they even miss the part that made me specifically choose for that exact program from many options on the ipad, like songbook + from a long list of sheetmusic readers because of its integration with the Genos.. many of these programs also work just fine on my iphone..

Now mind me, i am not talking windows, which is a competitor of ios on tablets, but surprisingly the same programs on windows cost 4 or 5 times as much as on ios.

Edited by Bachus (06/01/19 12:05 AM)

#470643 - 06/01/19 01:36 AM Re: iPhone or Android....and WHY? [Re: Dnj]
Fran Carango Offline

Bachus, my question was not only about tablets but Apple vs PC also..

I have been told for years how Mac is better then windows for music.. I have not found this to be true in my experience.

I have not made any "bold" statements about Android, I only question what folks say.

#470644 - 06/01/19 06:23 AM Re: iPhone or Android....and WHY? [Re: Fran Carango]
Bachus Offline

Bachus, my question was not only about tablets but Apple vs PC also..

I have been told for years how Mac is better then windows for music.. I have not found this to be true in my experience.

I have not made any "bold" statements about Android, I only question what folks say.

Well if you question what folks say about ios leading position against android for music making, please tell me how many of the apps i carefully selected to use on my ipad also are available on android... you questioned, i offered you a question to proof your point... but then i guess we both know the answer, don’t we?

I also can tell you why people still favor apple above windows for music making
- logic X and mainstage are only available on Mac..
- performance gain of about 20% for daws on comparable hardware
- mac looks great and is build like a tank..
- real time processing is part of the mac kernel
- same goes for many others essentials for music making, which results in stabbility
- less critical hardware issues, because its all apple hardware
- cool factor/image.. some people want to impress others with expensive things
- mac osx when used to it, is by many found a more pleasant user experience..
- support of apple for customers.
- longlevity, many 2012 and 2013 macbooks still function great for music making,

Edited by Bachus (06/01/19 06:24 AM)

#470645 - 06/01/19 06:26 AM Re: iPhone or Android....and WHY? [Re: Bachus]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By Bachus

Here is a list of musical orientated programs i use on my ipad...
tell me which ones also work on Android

- musescore
- songbook +
- forscore
- audiobus
- aum
- beatmaker 3
- garageband
- cubasis
- camelot pro
- keystage
- korg gadget
- korg iwavestation
- Korg iM1
- Korg module
- yamaha soundmondo
- yamaha music synthesizer
- yamaha chord tracker
- yamaha fm essentials
- Xmure
- Moog model D
- Annimoog
- Waldorf Wave
- Syntronik
- Sampletank
- Neo soul keys
- Synth one
- Digital D1
- Geoshred
- Aurillus 3
- Bismarck (soundfont player with strong synth engine)
- iprophet
- isem
- synthmaster
- factory
- Apparillo
- sunrizer

Please tell me how many of these high quallity programs and virtual instruments have an android version? To proof your claim that Android is on par with Ios for music making.. you have been making bold claims about android, so take up this challenge and browse how many of my favorite apps are on android? I bet you will just find a handfull that work on both,

Maybe there are some programs that do the same on android, but often they even miss the part that made me specifically choose for that exact program from many options on the ipad, like songbook + from a long list of sheetmusic readers because of its integration with the Genos.. many of these programs also work just fine on my iphone..

Now mind me, i am not talking windows, which is a competitor of ios on tablets, but surprisingly the same programs on windows cost 4 or 5 times as much as on ios.

Bachus thanx for the great list of app programs for apple I will surly check these out for my iPad...WOW!!

#470647 - 06/01/19 07:03 AM Re: iPhone or Android....and WHY? [Re: Bachus]
rphillipchuk Online   content

Loc: Ontario Canada

- longlevity, many 2012 and 2013 macbooks still function great for music making,

100% agree.... I am running a MacBook Air 2012 with the newest Operating System, 128 SSD with only 4 Meg Ram and have not any issues with any software.......Sure, its not as fast as current models but it works for me.

When the time comes, it will be another mac for sure !!

Edited by rphillipchuk (06/01/19 07:04 AM)

Styles
Yamaha Styles Only
Midi Safe

#470648 - 06/01/19 08:52 AM Re: iPhone or Android....and WHY? [Re: Dnj]
girljam Offline

Love that list as well! I wont be getting rid of my LG tablet anytime soon for home use, but I am thinking of moving to an Ipad to use with my 970, which is on its way here!!!

Thanks for all the great info!

#470649 - 06/01/19 08:59 AM Re: iPhone or Android....and WHY? [Re: Dnj]
DonM Offline

As I CLEARLY stated Bachus, I don't use music apps on my phone. And I didn't make any claims except battery, storage and camera.

#470650 - 06/01/19 09:13 AM Re: iPhone or Android....and WHY? [Re: Dnj]
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
We all use what systems work best of us. I say “live and let live.”

Someone made reference to Apple products being built like a tank. Back in 2009 I bought a refurbished Mac Book Pro laptop from Apple. Here it is 2019 and it still runs strong. I will admit I upgraded to an SSD drive, had to replace the power chord and added RAM to it but I have never owned a Windows laptop that has that kind of longevity. My only negative about the new Apple laptops is they have eliminated ports and have installed an inferior keyboard that there have been many complaints about.

#470651 - 06/01/19 09:53 AM Re: iPhone or Android....and WHY? [Re: Dnj]
Fran Carango Offline

Here is a confirmation of long lasting pc laptops..

I purchased my CTX laptop running windows 98, in 1998.. Still runs as new (removable hard drive.. No USB but has pcmcia slot.

I purchased my Compaq pentium4 laptop in 2003, running windows98, Still runs.

I purchased my Toshiba core2 laptop in 2008 running Vista, runs as new ( my favorite).

I purchased my HP laptop running windows10 in 2017 (touch screen). Still runs great.

I am keeping each for the different OS.

Just can't complain about long lasting.

#470652 - 06/01/19 10:02 AM Re: iPhone or Android....and WHY? [Re: Stephenm52]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
So, Steve, what you are saying in a very unbiased way, is, like All products, Apple and Android (Windows) all have their pros and cons ...

#470653 - 06/01/19 10:33 AM Re: iPhone or Android....and WHY? [Re: Dnj]
Dnj Offline

I just see more on Mac users than anything else regarding music on stage or in studio..
Everywhere I Go there must be a reason for that.
I think I made the right choice for my needs with the iPad.

#470654 - 06/01/19 11:48 AM Re: iPhone or Android....and WHY? [Re: Dnj]
tony mads usa Offline

Donny, I think eventually we ALL make the right choices for our OWN needs ... because if the current choice isn't right, we change it, no?

#470655 - 06/01/19 12:31 PM Re: iPhone or Android....and WHY? [Re: DonM]
Bachus Offline

As I CLEARLY stated Bachus, I don't use music apps on my phone. And I didn't make any claims except battery, storage and camera.

Sorry if i offended you somewhere, noharm meant, being non natively in English sometimes makes me being misunderstood for my intentions..

#470656 - 06/01/19 12:34 PM Re: iPhone or Android....and WHY? [Re: girljam]
Bachus Offline

Originally Posted By girljam
Love that list as well! I wont be getting rid of my LG tablet anytime soon for home use, but I am thinking of moving to an Ipad to use with my 970, which is on its way here!!!

Thanks for all the great info!

In general i buy 1 app a month, they cost about €20 on average..
Its like having a new instrument every month.. sattisfying my GAS for the much more expensive hardware..

#470657 - 06/01/19 12:36 PM Re: iPhone or Android....and WHY? [Re: tony mads usa]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By tony mads usa
Donny, I think eventually we ALL make the right choices for our OWN needs ... because if the current choice isn't right, we change it, no?

Tony I am always open minded to new things...
I look, I buy, I try, I learn, I keep or I dump simple as that.
I'm not a fan of Close mindedness.....works for me.

#470658 - 06/01/19 12:58 PM Re: iPhone or Android....and WHY? [Re: Dnj]
tony mads usa Offline

Originally Posted By Dnj

I'm not a fan of Close mindedness.....works for me.

Not making a lot of changes doesn't necessarily make one close-minded ... Some people just find something they like and stay with it ... Perhaps they don't feel a need for constant change ... On the other hand, it is the 'searchers' who help lead us to different places ... Neither is wrong or right, they just 'are' ...

#470660 - 06/01/19 01:29 PM Re: iPhone or Android....and WHY? [Re: Dnj]
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Donny, here's my analysis of you.....that no one asked for smile. You are VERY 'close minded', it's just that what you're close-minded about can change in a hot minute smile. That's why no one gets upset (only amused) about your latest 'THIS IS THE GREATEST AND I'LL LOVE IT TILL I DIE' gadget (arranger, mixer, speaker, laptop/tablet, Mic, Mic anchor smile , etc., etc. But don't worry, credibility isn't everything smile.

Your BFF smile smile ,

chas

#470661 - 06/01/19 01:42 PM Re: iPhone or Android....and WHY? [Re: cgiles]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By cgiles
Donny, here's my analysis of you.....that no one asked for smile. You are VERY 'close minded', it's just that what you're close-minded about can change in a hot minute smile. That's why no one gets upset (only amused) about your latest 'THIS IS THE GREATEST AND I'LL LOVE IT TILL I DIE' gadget (arranger, mixer, speaker, laptop/tablet, Mic, Mic anchor smile , etc., etc. But don't worry, credibility isn't everything smile.

Your BFF smile smile ,

chas

Chas couldn't care less of what people think.. Or silly analysis, etc,
I know what I know and it works for me...
Have a great day..... It's dinner time.....
Lobster tonight at my favorite place yummy...
Have a great weekend.

Edited by Dnj (06/01/19 01:43 PM)

#470662 - 06/01/19 02:04 PM Re: iPhone or Android....and WHY? [Re: Dnj]
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Just pulling your chain, big guy. When it comes to trying new things, I'm in the same boat as you...well maybe not QUITE as much smile .

chas

#470663 - 06/01/19 02:26 PM Re: iPhone or Android....and WHY? [Re: Bachus]
DonM Offline

Sorry if i offended you somewhere, noharm meant, being non natively in English sometimes makes me being misunderstood for my intentions..

I understand. No problem my friend. smile

#470664 - 06/01/19 02:33 PM Re: iPhone or Android....and WHY? [Re: Dnj]
jingleman Online   content

Loc: The Villages, FL, USA
There really is no lose today, with whatever direction you go. I love my IPad for what it does for me. I’m not into the music apps like Bachus and others. But, for any real production power...you need either a MacBook or a decent Windows machine.

When you start layering tracks and effects...you need horsepower. Your only going to get that from a more powerful laptop or desktop.

Apple is no doubt the leader in creating cool and useful products. But, once you take a bite out of the “Apple”...your pretty much an apple person. They talk beautifully together. But even getting my iPad info to my HP laptop can be a hassle.

My only concern for the iPad...is where do they go in the future. Do they finally do away with iOS and go OSX. That to me...would be a game changer.

But what’s strange...is the pricing of a high end iPad is almost the same price as a decent MacBook. So why not get the MacBook and be able to run all the heavy weight programs available for OSX. Like Logic Pro, Cubase (Which I use on my HP laptop).

But with that said...there’s nothing faster and easier to use than an iPad. You got great battery life and a quality screen. My google tablets suck by comparison.

I do have an LG phone. It works good. As long as I can Bluetooth Spotify in my car...I’m in hog heaven.

JM

Edited by jingleman (06/01/19 02:35 PM)

#470677 - 06/02/19 09:26 AM Re: iPhone or Android....and WHY? [Re: jingleman]
Bachus Offline

Originally Posted By jingleman
There really is no lose today, with whatever direction you go. I love my IPad for what it does for me. I’m not into the music apps like Bachus and others. But, for any real production power...you need either a MacBook or a decent Windows machine.

When you start layering tracks and effects...you need horsepower. Your only going to get that from a more powerful laptop or desktop.

Apple is no doubt the leader in creating cool and useful products. But, once you take a bite out of the “Apple”...your pretty much an apple person. They talk beautifully together. But even getting my iPad info to my HP laptop can be a hassle.

My only concern for the iPad...is where do they go in the future. Do they finally do away with iOS and go OSX. That to me...would be a game changer.

But what’s strange...is the pricing of a high end iPad is almost the same price as a decent MacBook. So why not get the MacBook and be able to run all the heavy weight programs available for OSX. Like Logic Pro, Cubase (Which I use on my HP laptop).

But with that said...there’s nothing faster and easier to use than an iPad. You got great battery life and a quality screen. My google tablets suck by comparison.

I do have an LG phone. It works good. As long as I can Bluetooth Spotify in my car...I’m in hog heaven.

JM

The answer to sharing iphone/ipad data with your windows stuff is the cloud..
I these days save all my data in the cloud..
Which makes it easilly available on all my devices, windows, mac or ios..

You also say the only serious way to produce music is mac or pc...
But once you realise the latest ipad pro processor is as fast or faster then the current mac books pro... people start to rethink that statement.. now there is one hurdle, that apple needs to take... currently ios allows only the use of a single thread(core) for music making.. but i am hopefull ios 13 solves thatproblem..

If you learn the ipad like an ipad instead of tring to use it as a traditional pc (requires a different approach) then it quickly becomes clear why the ipad is so good at what it does..its not bound by the restrictions of 3 decades or more that each pc inherrits.. combined with the lightning fast hardware (as said that the ipad pro is faster then most intel based laptops) you will see the future is bright for the ipad..

#470678 - 06/02/19 10:25 AM Re: iPhone or Android....and WHY? [Re: Dnj]
Dnj Offline

Bachus thank you for all the information,
I am realizing that doing things on ios makes so much more sense which in turn makes it easier to get around and get things done in so many ways.

Edited by Dnj (06/02/19 10:45 AM)

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online