SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 5 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#47045 - 08/16/07 09:15 AM Re: Revisiting Basics
nsr007 Offline

Loc: USA
John C -

You said and I quote, "Last thought. Page 198 in the manual tells us about the amount of time the keyboard will hold the Ram information (Your information) before it is deleted."

That page shouldn't be in the KN7000 manual. This is a carry over from previous keyboards. Case in point: It states that the Sequencer will hold memory for about 80 minutes when the keyboard in shut down. NOT SO. If you have a song in Sequencer and you shut down, it is no longer there, even when you immediately turn on the keyboard. Also, I have never had a problem losing my Panel Memories by not turning on the keyboard for more than a week.

We all play our keyboards differently, including saving files. If one insists on having no song in Sequencer, before you save your ALL PANEL MEMORIES and SOUND MEMORY, click on PROGRAM MENUS, click SEQUENCER, click RECORD @ EDIT and on the right side, click SONG CLEAR and save ONLY your ALL PANEL MEMORIES and SOUND MEMORY. Do the same thing when you save CUSTOM STYLES as a single file.

Scott

#47046 - 08/16/07 01:12 PM Re: Revisiting Basics
bruno123 Online   content

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
Scott,
I have never had concern about losing information as stated on page 198 in the manual. I normally save all my information leaving nothing to chance.

I just did a test; I loaded a sequence, played it and then turned off the keyboard. When I turned the keyboard on the sequence was still there to play. I am wonder if all the KN7000 keyboards were made the same, if they were how could you and I have different results.

My suggestion would be to test all the information on page before trusting it.

I have had times when I go to play a song only to find that the sequencer is in control of the keyboard. A little embarrassing if you are playing for some one.
1-I save my information on the SD card. I normally go to the second page of the save procedure press all off and select everything but Custom Styles, Home page and Midi. If there is a sequence I select it, if not it stays unchecked.
2-When I load this information at a future date, and then begin to play. Not always, but there have been times when a sequence was present and it took control. Now since I did not load the sequence at that time it comes as an unwanted surprise. Because I like to run a tight ship I feel Bill’s thought on this subject maybe the way to go. I have not tested any method because it is not a major problem for me.

One more thought – If I load a sequence from Bernie and after listening I decide to load my information, which does not include the sequencer, when I go to play Bernie’s sequence is in control.

I may have to live with this one if Bill’s or Scott’s suggestions do not work for me.

John C.

#47047 - 08/16/07 01:14 PM Re: Revisiting Basics

I hope this is not a double post something strange happened.

Scott,
I have never had concern about losing information as stated on page 198 in the manual. I normally save all my information leaving nothing to chance.

I just did a test; I loaded a sequence, played it and then turned off the keyboard. When I turned the keyboard on the sequence was still there to play. I am wonder if all the KN7000 keyboards were made the same, if they were how could you and I have different results.

My suggestion would be to test all the information on page before trusting it.

I have had times when I go to play a song only to find that the sequencer is in control of the keyboard. A little embarrassing if you are playing for some one.
1-I save my information on the SD card. I normally go to the second page of the save procedure press all off and select everything but Custom Styles, Home page and Midi. If there is a sequence I select it, if not it stays unchecked.
2-When I load this information at a future date, and then begin to play. Not always, but there have been times when a sequence was present and it took control. Now since I did not load the sequence at that time it comes as an unwanted surprise. Because I like to run a tight ship I feel Bill’s thought on this subject maybe the way to go. I have not tested any method because it is not a major problem for me.

One more thought – If I load a sequence from Bernie and after listening I decide to load my information, which does not include the sequencer, when I go to play Bernie’s sequence is in control.

I may have to live with this one if Bill’s or Scott’s suggestions do not work for me.

John C.

#47048 - 08/16/07 05:30 PM Re: Revisiting Basics
Audrey Turner Offline

Loc: Cambridge, Cambs, England
Hello John,

Thank you for your very explicit and clear reply to my questions. Like you, I too have learned "the hard way" - to watch every step I make when saving my settings and although I find saving to the Custom Stylist is a little more secure, it is not 100% because if it becomes necessary to use the three button method, your settings WILL BE REPLACED WITH ORIGINAL FACTORY SETTINGS. So! the obvious answer is a backup using either the SD Card or a Floppy.

Fortunately, I have the use of the KN SD Explorer Tool which makes backing so much easier and also allows me to print an Index of what is on the SD Card(s) which are filed in a Ringbinder enabling me to quickly find any song or rhythm at any time, without the need to switch on the keyboard or the PC.

Will you be coming to Cambridge John? I hope so, I am really looking forward to meeting all the kind people who, over the years, have helped me so much to understand my Technics Keyboards and subsequently get greater enjoyment from them.

Thanks again - Audrey

#47049 - 08/16/07 06:01 PM Re: Revisiting Basics
nsr007 Offline

Loc: USA
John C,

If your keyboard, which I am assuming is a KN7000 and you still have a song in SEQUENCER after you have turned the keyboard off, you definitely have a different KN7000 than I do. I put this question to the forum a good two years ago and Alec agreed with me that page 198 backup and memory did not apply to the KN7000. I just did this test again by putting in a sequenced song, made sure it was in by playing it, turned the keyboard off, waited 3 minutes, turned the keyboard on again and nothing in the SEQUENCER. You may want to do a retest, leave the keyboard off for at least 10 to 15 minutes and see if you have a sequenced song. If you do, this will more or less prove that Technics made changes in this model. It certainly is wise not to trust the manual in this case and always save your work to disk before turning the keyboard off.

Here is an interesting point - Years ago, I had a KN1000 and I could be working in COMPOSER and also have a song in SEQUENCER, turn the keyboard off and not turn it on for at least three weeks and everything would still be there. Why this isn't capable in the KN7000 is anyone's guess.

Scott

#47050 - 08/16/07 06:56 PM Re: Revisiting Basics
KeithB Offline

Loc: Melbourne AUSTRALIA
Just a thought, with these varying outputs with saving sequencer information on the KN7000, do each of the respondents have the same operating system?
I've often wondered when updating an operating system, what else is being corrected/changed?
Keith

#47051 - 08/16/07 07:52 PM Re: Revisiting Basics

Keith,
I feel you have a good point. I believe Scott is saying exactly with happens sequences in his keyboard. Tonight I loaded a sequence, turned the keyboard off and then had dinner. After forty I turned on the keyboard and there it was. So you point Keith must be valid.

John C.

#47052 - 08/18/07 02:20 AM Re: Revisiting Basics

I have just reread my last post – tomorrow I am going to enroll in a local Grammar school, can’t have this kind of going on. Aaaaaaaah!

John C.

#47053 - 08/18/07 05:05 AM Re: Revisiting Basics
Audrey Turner Offline

Loc: Cambridge, Cambs, England
Thank you for this John.

So, using my usual method of saving, the secret is to make sure the 'ALL' is on when saved, is that what you are saying? If so, that would mean the Sequencer and others not usually saved, would be saved as well bringing us back to the 'rogue' sequenced settings being loaded when not wanted.

To sum up, I think I will try everything you and Bill suggest and see which is the best method for me, because as you say, we all have our way of doing things. This just goes to show (like the PC), there are usually several ways of operating to achieve the same end.

I find this all very interesting - thanks to you both.

Audrey

#47054 - 08/18/07 11:50 AM Re: Revisiting Basics

Audrey,
“All” refers to the panel memory only.
1-You have Three, which is A B C of the panel memory.

2-Then you have “All” which is A B C and 1 through 10 in the panel memory.
Audrey, Think of all the memories areas, (RAM) as different baskets to put your information in. Each basket accommodates different information.

1-Current Panel—the general information that is in your keyboard before saving. I am using the word general because I have never taken the time to see exactly what it saves. I always save it to be safe.

2-Panel Memory – Three or All

3-Sequence – your sequence.

4-Composer – the three styles in your composer.

5-Sound memory – Any altered sounds that you have created or loaded into your keyboard.

6-Performance Pads –the Pads

7-Effect memory. Again, this does save effects. Exactly which ones I don’t know. I always save it to be safe.

8-User Midi Settings – If there are any settings used to control an external device or an external device used to control the keyboard it is saved here.

9-Favorites – I love this one. The little circle on the lower left end of the keyboard. Lot’s of goodies here. Good subject for later.

10-Home Page – That is what you see in the screen. The screen can be customized. I am amazed to see people use a Home page with half the information that is needed. Also a good topic for later.

11-All Custom styles – As it says, your custom 20 styles.

Some of this is very basic, but let’s not leave a stone unturned.
The saving or loading procedure gives you the option of choosing what items you wish to save or load.
In the saving procedure, on the second page, you will see Performance. This method will save 1 through to 7 Effect memory.
CAUTION – This will save only A B C of the panel memory. It does not save Panel Memories 1 through 10.

Initialize – Factory method empties all the baskets.

Initialize – Program Menus gives you the ability to choose which areas you are Initializing. (Deleting)

When you press and hold SET in the middle of the Panel Memory then press one of the panel memories to save information, you are only putting your information in a basket which can be over written or lost after one week. (According to page 198 in the manual) This type of saving should be saved on a disk or SD card.

My method of saving is to go to page two of the saving procedure and press ALL OFF, right bottom of window. Then I select the items that I wish to save – remembering that I may wish to save ALL instead of Three. (Panels)
Sometimes I press Performance on the second page and then add ALL or three. The performance method of saving does not include:
1-User Midi Settings
2-Favorites
3-Home Page
4-All Custom Styles

(I must like doping this)
Hope this clarifies, John C.

Page 5 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online