SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#470409 - 05/25/19 05:04 AM Re: You think you always need the Newest gear ? [Re: Dnj]
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Outstanding!!! I loved it. Everything about that tune (production, instrument quality, musicality) was first rate. I especially loved the piano solo. And yes, the Spectra was impressive but the musicianship displayed on that recording certainly helped it's cause. So yep, you proved your point about vintage instruments in the hands of good players.

To be fair however, what showed so well here was the representation of basic acoustic instruments (piano, bass, etc.). What the modern boards give you is a broader range of acoustic instruments as well as an even broader range of synthesized sounds (all fitted into a much more compact package). So although the sounds could past muster, the form factor would make these vintage instruments unsuitable for most gigging situations (yeah, I know. Guys still schlep B3's around....but hey, it's a B3 smile ).

Glad you posted that though, lest we forget how good those 'oldies but goodies' could sound.

chas

#470410 - 05/25/19 05:23 AM Re: You think you always need the Newest gear ? [Re: IMMusic_Curt]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By IMMusic_Curt
We recently did a post along the lines of this topic. It was for our Wersi friends. In our case, we dusted off a tune recorded on a Wersi Spectra and a Wersi digital piano. The idea was the same as this post. Although at the time it was state of the art it's now 20+ year gear and (we think) still holds up pretty well today. If you don't know the Spectra was one of the most popular Wersi organs ever released. No video just the soundtrack but thought you folks might enjoy.

Recorded / Sequenced in my basement using Cakewalk then recorded to DAT and finally to CD. http://wersiclubusa.com/cd_series/a-tune-from-the-good-ole-cd-spectra-series/

Curt very nice work and proves my thoughts of the
original post title exactly.
Thank you for sharing your work. headphone

#470414 - 05/25/19 07:09 AM Re: You think you always need the Newest gear ? [Re: Dnj]
Dnj Offline

#470848 - 06/06/19 11:39 AM . [Re: Dnj]
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY

#470907 - 06/08/19 08:03 AM Re: . [Re: Dnj]
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
My edited "dot" was not intended to be a reply or comment on this post. It was simply, a misplaced post that has been put in it's proper place, and nothing more.

#470908 - 06/08/19 08:28 AM Re: You think you always need the Newest gear ? [Re: IMMusic_Curt]
jingleman Offline

Loc: The Villages, FL, USA
Originally Posted By IMMusic_Curt
Although at the time it was state of the art it's now 20+ year old gear and (we think) still holds up pretty well today.

Curt, your right about the Wersi holding up very well sonically with today’s technology.
JM

#471711 - 06/25/19 05:06 PM Re: You think you always need the Newest gear ? [Re: IMMusic_Curt]
Dnj Offline

It's amazing nothing really new and innovated arranger kb wise has been released thus far since the Genos, Pa4x, etc, etc, etc, what is really going on? Has the dying off of Home organ players dictated the status we are in now... ?
Are players going vst computer base with controllers instead? More creative tracks less styles.... What is happening out there?

#471745 - 06/26/19 08:09 AM Re: You think you always need the Newest gear ? [Re: Dnj]
Bernie9 Offline

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
Looking at it from a company profitability point of view, I think overall arranger market share, r&d expense, and the time needed to recoup their expenses are factors. I am sure there are future innovations in the pipelines, but until one company comes out with one, the others sit tight and fix the bugs.

#471746 - 06/26/19 08:12 AM Re: You think you always need the Newest gear ? [Re: Bernie9]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By Bernie9
Looking at it from a company profitability point of view, I think overall arranger market share, r&d expense, and the time needed to recoup their expenses are factors. I am sure there are future innovations in the pipelines, but until one company comes out with one, the others sit tight and fix the bugs.

Personally I think the dying off of the
home organ/arranger kb players
and changes in technology music for the next generation
are a huge factor on what is to come in the future ..
it's only the natural progression. Hope I am wrong.

#471749 - 06/26/19 08:48 AM Re: You think you always need the Newest gear ? [Re: Dnj]
Bernie9 Offline

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
That is part of the market share I mentioned. There is no doubt that it is dwindling, overall, although quite strong in some regions. I hope there will be some innovation to cause a resurgence. Time will tell, but some of us may never see it.

Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online