SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#470258 - 05/23/19 09:22 AM Re: OK Donny, her ya go! [Re: travlin'easy]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Thanks Paul, and yes, even in semi-retirement, Donny does manage to come up with some great ideas. wink

All the best,

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#470260 - 05/23/19 09:30 AM Re: OK Donny, her ya go! [Re: travlin'easy]
jingleman Offline

Loc: The Villages, FL, USA
Gary...great job! Your voice sounds strong and the harmony (is that the 950 on board VH?) sounds great.
Thanks for sharing,
JM

#470269 - 05/23/19 09:52 AM Re: OK Donny, her ya go! [Re: travlin'easy]
travlin'easy Offline

Thanks JM, and yes, that is the S-950 vocal harmonizer. I tried using my TC Helicon Harmony-M, but because of my bullfrog voice I could not get the higher vocal harmony sounds I wanted.

I sincerely believe I can tune the S-950 to sound equally as good as the TC Helicon vocal processor, but this is going to take some time, which I no longer have much of - it's sailing season and the only days I get in the studio are when it's raining and the weather is too nasty to sail.

All the best,

Gary cool

#470281 - 05/23/19 01:14 PM Re: OK Donny, her ya go! [Re: travlin'easy]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Gary, admittedly, I don't know the workings of the S-970, but I would think he needs to have his left hand play the chords for the bass line ... Can't the accomp parts be muted and still use his left hand for the chord changes?

#470302 - 05/23/19 03:34 PM Re: OK Donny, her ya go! [Re: travlin'easy]
travlin'easy Offline

Yes, and for the most part, that's exactly what he does. However, in order to trigger the vocal harmony processor, there must be a midi signal from the device, which is set for his left hand chords. The processor needs the chord information in order to provide the corrections for the harmony. This is also the case with an external vocal harmonizer - it requires the midi information from the keyboard's chords being played in order to function properly.

Most of today was spent teaching him to create registrations and how they function, which is one of the most difficult aspects of all arranger keyboards. The last hour was spent setting up the vocal harmony processor and teaching him how to tune it, then save the information to a special, setup registration. For the old salts on the forum, this is fairly easy, but for someone that is just getting into playing an arranger keyboard, the learning curve is pretty steep and I consider myself a fairly good teacher. I have written tutorials on creating registrations, and another guy on the PSR-Tutorial site put together an instructional video, but it is still difficult for many to comprehend.

All the best,

Gary cool

#470303 - 05/23/19 03:42 PM Re: OK Donny, her ya go! [Re: travlin'easy]
tony mads usa Offline

Originally Posted By travlin'easy
Yes, and for the most part, that's exactly what he does. However, in order to trigger the vocal harmony processor, there must be a midi signal from the device, which is set for his left hand chords. The processor needs the chord information in order to provide the corrections for the harmony. This is also the case with an external vocal harmonizer - it requires the midi information from the keyboard's chords being played in order to function properly.
All the best,
Gary cool

Of course ...

#470354 - 05/24/19 08:30 AM Re: OK Donny, her ya go! [Re: tony mads usa]
sparky589 Offline

Loc: NJ
Wow Gary- everything Donny said and more. Thank you for that..

I'd appreciate if you (or anybody)could email me charted lyrics..

#470363 - 05/24/19 10:52 AM Re: OK Donny, her ya go! [Re: sparky589]
tony mads usa Offline

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online