SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#470216 - 05/22/19 07:26 PM OK Donny, her ya go!
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
I spent the past two days trying to sing and play this song, one that DNJ posed as a challenge to me a couple days ago.

This is a very difficult song for me to sing, mainly because of the tightness of the vocal lines, plus the harmony segments. This was a 2-day project for me, and the most difficult part was the vocal harmony, which I must fine tune to eliminate some of the minor distortion. Also, I was a bit heavy with the left hand, overlayed male chorus, which I need to lower the volume a bit, maybe about 50 percent.

I'll let you folks pick it apart and make some recommendations on what I need to do with it, then I'll wait for another rainy day and go to work on it.

Click here to play my rendition of Hallelujah

All the best,

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#470231 - 05/23/19 05:55 AM Re: OK Donny, her ya go! [Re: travlin'easy]
Dnj Offline

Gary Bravo Bravo !!!

You my friend have bestowed upon me a great honor.
This song as I predicted was meant for you.
Thank you so much for taking the time to work on it
and present it to us it really made my day!!
This performance is certainly one of your All Time Best
for sure in so many ways as I knew it would be. The vocal and styling even with your ailment was strong and heartfelt,
and the style used on your Yamaha S950 was just right also.
Well done good buddy... Well Done!!! clap

#470237 - 05/23/19 06:42 AM Re: OK Donny, her ya go! [Re: travlin'easy]
Riceroni9 Offline

Loc: TX, USA
Thanks for all that hard work, Gary:

Vocal Harmony and Effects have been "eating my lunch" since the day I bought that 970 from Mason. Every now and then, I think I'm gaining on mastering the beast(s)... but I have such a long way to go... and fear there isn't enough time to "get-R-done" before "croaksville" sets-in! LOL!

This is really nice. Bravo to you, too... Donny... for "goading" Gary into accepting the challenge. Just another thing that keeps me returning to this "site" when I know I have other chores and tasks needing attention. Experimentation without fear of reprisal... or having to wear the "cone of shame" out into public view is part of the ambiance of this particular group.

Thanks to both of you... and the rest of you super nice folks who provide moral support, levity and humor into our middle of the road lives.

Well done! ----Dave

#470241 - 05/23/19 07:09 AM Re: OK Donny, her ya go! [Re: Riceroni9]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By Riceroni9
Thanks for all that hard work, Gary:

Vocal Harmony and Effects have been "eating my lunch" since the day I bought that 970 from Mason. Every now and then, I think I'm gaining on mastering the beast(s)... but I have such a long way to go... and fear there isn't enough time to "get-R-done" before "croaksville" sets-in! LOL!

This is really nice. Bravo to you, too... Donny... for "goading" Gary into accepting the challenge. Just another thing that keeps me returning to this "site" when I know I have other chores and tasks needing attention. Experimentation without fear of reprisal... or having to wear the "cone of shame" out into public view is part of the ambiance of this particular group.

Thanks to both of you... and the rest of you super nice folks who provide moral support, levity and humor into our middle of the road lives.

Well done! ----Dave

Dave your very welcome but I wouldn't call it "goading" at all but think of it as if someone came up to you on stage and made a "request" for a song, personally I would be happy to play it for them if I knew it for sure,.......on top of that I am from the school of learning from others by Watching & Listening and if you don't share your music & singing after all whats the sense of just talk talk talk if you can't hear hear hear it?
It's music and should be heard no matter what
although many like to keep it all bunched up to themselves.
But that is what a music discussion forum is for sharing.
I know I have learned from the best through the years
and still am to this day.
But I have to "hear" what your talking about
Sorry for the rant.

take care

Boy these Honey Cherios and Fresh Strawberries are yummy!!

Edited by Dnj (05/23/19 07:38 AM)

#470243 - 05/23/19 07:40 AM Re: OK Donny, her ya go! [Re: travlin'easy]
travlin'easy Offline

Good morning Donny and Dave, and thank you both for the compliments. I have someone coming to my home today that I am tutoring on the S-970, and with any kind of luck, we will be able to set up his vocal harmony section to where it will be acceptable. He just began working the senior circuit as a solo entertainer, but also has a 4-piece band, making this even more challenging.

Thanks again,

Gary cool

#470244 - 05/23/19 07:47 AM Re: OK Donny, her ya go! [Re: travlin'easy]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Gary, I'm sure you're up to the challenge, but why is it more challenging because he is also in a band? Wouldn't he just turn off the accompaniment when playing with the band?

#470248 - 05/23/19 08:23 AM Re: OK Donny, her ya go! [Re: travlin'easy]
travlin'easy Offline

Tony, his band does not have a bass player, just a drummer, a fiddle player, an acoustic guitar player and him playing the keyboard and providing the vocals.

Gary cool

#470251 - 05/23/19 08:45 AM Re: OK Donny, her ya go! [Re: travlin'easy]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Ok ... I've done this before and I set up all the 'standard' styles with all accomp off but the bass ... we placed a monitor right next to the drummer who was excellent - he was touring with Donald Fagan when the tour was cut short because of Walter Becker's death -
He could hear the bass very well and never lost a beat

#470256 - 05/23/19 09:17 AM Re: OK Donny, her ya go! [Re: travlin'easy]
montunoman Offline

Loc: Dallas, Texas
Good job Gary. The song sounds like a great match for your vocal style. Sometimes Donny has some good ideas smile

www.youtube.com/channel/UCV94i--V-A8kZShmGTKyDOw

https://www.facebook.com/elgrupocache

#470257 - 05/23/19 09:19 AM Re: OK Donny, her ya go! [Re: travlin'easy]
travlin'easy Offline

Yep, that's pretty much the way he and his band have been doing it as well. Additionally, he needs the accomp on to trigger the keyboard's vocal harmony, which he does with his left hand. He tried to chord trigger with his right hand, but finds this a bit difficult. The only person I know of that triggers the vocal harmony with his right hand is Uncle Dave, who has mastered this process incredibly.

All the best,

Gary cool

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online