SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#470189 - 05/22/19 06:55 AM Yamaha Expansion Packs for the 670
montunoman Offline

Loc: Dallas, Texas
Hi,

I’m trying to figure out how many expansions packs can the 670 hold. My 950 seems to only have space for one expansion pack. That’s not good when you’re playing for events that require various styles like cumbia, norteña,banda, mariachi, y salsa ....

Any one know?

Also do you think the 670 is much of an upgrade from the 950?

I guess I could live without the onboard vocal processor of the 950.

I really would like to use all of the Latin expansions, many of the newer ones aren’t even comparable on the 950.

Seems like upgrading to a 975 would not be the best idea this late in the cycle. A Genos is far too expensive for me.... sorry, I’m just thinking out loud here smile

www.youtube.com/channel/UCV94i--V-A8kZShmGTKyDOw

https://www.facebook.com/elgrupocache

#470190 - 05/22/19 07:40 AM Re: Yamaha Expansion Packs for the 670 [Re: montunoman]
Dnj Offline

Hint:...Paul extract the styles out of the expansion packs
and use the ones you need like any other styles in your KB...

you have mail.. cool2

Edited by Dnj (05/22/19 07:49 AM)

#470193 - 05/22/19 07:57 AM Re: Yamaha Expansion Packs for the 670 [Re: montunoman]
montunoman Offline

Good idea Donny, I’ll give that a try. Thanks for the message too!

#470194 - 05/22/19 08:26 AM Re: Yamaha Expansion Packs for the 670 [Re: montunoman]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By montunoman
Good idea Donny, I’ll give that a try. Thanks for the message too!

Your very welcome Paul
good luck

#470200 - 05/22/19 10:56 AM Re: Yamaha Expansion Packs for the 670 [Re: Dnj]
mdorantes Offline

Loc: Queretaro, Mexico
Hello guys

I hate to deliver bad news, there is a really bad miss understanding regarding the Expansion packs....let me put an example.

If you do as Donny suggested, it will NOT work...here is why...lets say that you select the Mariachi Bolero Ranchero (Mariachi Norteño pack), and just loaded the style with no voices...here is what is going to happen, the bolero ranchero use several voices that is what gives the expansion pack the realism that have, the Vihuela is a "unique" sound NOT available on any keyboard or GM/XG/ map.....also, the way a trumpet player in a Mariachi plays, is VERY different than the more "orchestral" voice that the keyboard has...same thing will happen if you choose a Norteño style, that use the "Bajo Sexto" that is another "unique" sound that also is NOT available, not even considering the Gritos kits, that gives that authentic flavor.....and for example, the Salsa Pack, that contains special Drum kits that have percussion instruments NOT available on the standard Drum/percussion kits....

Yamaha spent lots of money sampling the REAL instruments like the Banda Trombone, Clarinets, tambora, charchetas, etc...none of this instruments in the way the Banda Mexicana plays them are available on ANY voice/sound map. All this to recreate a real feel of authenticity that only the real band can give you. Not only on the sounds, but articulations, check the Gritos de Mujer, in the lower end, look for "papasito" or Chiquitito", play it soft, then play it medium, then play it really hard...3 different inflections on the same word.....lots of attention to details.

You need to understand that what makes this packs "authentic" is the Voices and styles Combination, if you take one element out, is no longer functional, plus at least the ones I have been involved on the making, have many of the under use and under appreciate great potencial of the Multipads....Registrations, etc....
Now regarding the memory capacity of the PSR S670 I am afraid that is mostly only ONE pack, why, because since we began making them, the feedback from users has made increase the volume of data, therefore, more memory is required.

The remedy that DNJ mention is good as long is just styles have the standard Voice map etc...or that at least is not needed of special Drum/Percussion kits, etc.

Perhaps in other Packs you can do what is suggested, but, not in the ones I have work on....Banda, Mariachi/Norteño, Cumbia Latina y mas, (a little on the Salsa but mostly Ivan Zervigon), and then now the Fiesta Caliente...

Just my 2 cents...

Manuel

#470201 - 05/22/19 11:23 AM Re: Yamaha Expansion Packs for the 670 [Re: montunoman]
Dnj Offline

Manuel,...... Maybe not as originally mapped sound wise but there are plenty of sound alternatives to substitute....
The expansion styles with a bit of editing and tweaking sound good.
have a great day

Edited by Dnj (05/22/19 01:52 PM)

#470204 - 05/22/19 11:52 AM Re: Yamaha Expansion Packs for the 670 [Re: Dnj]
mdorantes Offline

Hi Donny

I am very sorry to desagree 100%. This packs are targeted to a Latino market, I am Latino....I grew up with this music...among others.

Let me give you an example....the Vihuela has 5 nylon strings, it tunes the same as the Acoustic Guitar, except that for no 6th string, BUT, the MOST important thing is the SCALE we made, the 3th and 5th string they have to be tuned ONE Octave Above....that gives you a VERY different sound of a guitar....there is NOTHING in any sound map that sounds like that. Check on the Voice VihuelaRaz.
Go to the time :19 and the comment on :42

Also we created an "special" way to recreate the Razgueos you hear on this...and also NO other instrument on any map will do that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ps4WTsOJ0Ls&list=RD8vCU-E1iipc&index=7

I have hear some so called conversions, and to be honest, very bad...there is no way to represent that pack that way.

Edited by mdorantes (05/22/19 11:54 AM)

#470208 - 05/22/19 12:27 PM Re: Yamaha Expansion Packs for the 670 [Re: montunoman]
montunoman Offline

Yes, I have gotten some conversions, and they lose so much of the authenticity for sure. I guess I can make some tweaks but there's nothing like the real thing!

I have to say Manuel, your work on these Mexican styles is simply amazing and there's nothing else like it! Thank you for giving Latin players such authentic sounds and styles. I guess I'm just frustrated that I have to purchase a new keyboard to gain full excess to them. As someone here said "Yamaha has to pay the bills too" wink

#470209 - 05/22/19 12:30 PM Re: Yamaha Expansion Packs for the 670 [Re: montunoman]
montunoman Offline

Back to my question, which psr model would I need to hold a couple of expansion packs?

#470211 - 05/22/19 03:05 PM Re: Yamaha Expansion Packs for the 670 [Re: montunoman]
mdorantes Offline

Jose

The models (previous models and current models)
PSR S 970/770 and now the PSR S975/775.

I mention the previous models perhaps because some people have trade their 770/970 for the 775/975 and perhaps can buy them for less.

This models will be able to store at least 4 or 5 packs (770) and even more on the 970 or 975, I have about 8 packs installed.

Here my list: 1 Banda Mexicana, 2 Mariachi-Norteño/TexMex, 3 Cumbia Latina y mas, 4 Mexico (Made by the Yamaha de México), 5 Salsa and now the 6 Fiesta Caliente....
besides I also included 7 "Colores de Iberia V2", the 8 "Latin Audio styles" (Genos/T5), and added the 9 "Russian Classical"...all those in a PSR S970.

Manuel
Thank you for your comments, we try to do our best efforts to deliver quality without compromise.
Let me know what model you get, and email me.....manuelphx1@gmail.com

Edited by mdorantes (05/22/19 06:32 PM)

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online