SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#4712 - 06/29/06 04:40 PM Re: beginner
Justin Gazda Offline

Loc: Marietta GA, USA
I agree. It would be excellent to see the "Korg open archetecture VA for windows XP", or whatnot. It's kind of the problem I found in the Korg Oasys when I played around with it. The salesperson called it a "limited open archetecture synth." I thought that was funny.
When will dedicated desktop computer synths(such as reason) get on the open archetecture boat. Even the synth modules in it are crippled and I find myself running into brick walls when I want to patch something cool together. Of course, korg never built a modular, so it might be a hard sell.
But I'm VERY afraid of non-desktop computer VA synths, such as the nords and waldorfs, because once they break, they cannot be fixed. I mean, you crack the thing open and all there are are a handful of custom LSI's and lots of surface mounted chips that are wavesoldered on by machines. So if it breaks, throw it away, I guess?

#4713 - 10/29/07 01:04 PM Re: beginner
link9 Offline

Loc: modesto,ca,us
Hello everyone.

I didn't want to start another thread since so many people have similar questions. For the past year or so I started listening to electronic music for the first time and it has become my favorite. I listen to bands like Daft Punk, klaxons, Ladytron, Simain Mobile Disco, and Justice, just to name a few. I have never played the keyboards though and I am very interested in learning. I am 17 years old, is it to late to learn how to play the keyboards? If it's not, what kind of keyboard would you guy's reccomend for a true beginner?

Thanks.

#4714 - 10/30/07 11:31 AM Re: beginner
3351 Offline

Loc: Toronto, Canada.
Hi,
No such thing as "too late". 17 or 57 its all about motivation and desire to learn and experiment.

All depends on what you want to do. If you want to become a professional keyboard player and play with bands that's one thing. If you want to become a producer and actually make music that's another. If you want to be a bit of both then I guess you'll just have to take piano lessons and learn as much as you can about synths and studio work as well.

I think some piano lessons are in order since you must at least know the notes you're playing. At the ssame time don't mistake just playing for using synths and electronic musical equipment.

You have several choices as a beginner.

1. Pick up a home keyboard like the Yamaha PSR and have fun with it whilst learning all it can teach you about using home keyboards.

2. Pick up a beginner level synthesizer workstation like the Juno G and learn all it can do. It will definitely teach you some basics about synth programming, sequencing and mixing. Actually you might even make some electronic music with it.

3. Pick up a KB controller, some music software and upgrade your home PC so you can learn to make music and use sequencer/ host programs and software synths etc. It's the kind of setup that you can expand and add to as your needs grow.

cheers,

#4715 - 10/30/07 12:13 PM Re: beginner
link9 Offline

Thanks!

Your second suggestion sounds like the best since I also want learn about sequencing and programming.

I only have about $500 though. Is their anything similar with that price tag?

#4716 - 10/30/07 06:02 PM Re: beginner
3351 Offline

Aside from Roland Juno-G I can't think of any other entry level all-in-one sort of workstations. You might have to ssave up or wait until they get cheaper. Unless there are some beginner-oriented workstations I don't know of.

Check out your local music stores. I'm sure you'll find some entry level workstation you'll like. Cool thing about gear is it just keeps getting cheaper and cheaper as soon as the new model/version of the same thing comes out.

cheers,

#4717 - 10/30/07 06:02 PM Re: beginner
3351 Offline

Aside from Roland Juno-G I can't think of any other entry level all-in-one sort of workstations. You might have to ssave up or wait until they get cheaper. Unless there are some beginner-oriented workstations I don't know of.

Check out your local music stores. I'm sure you'll find some entry level workstation you'll like. Cool thing about gear is it just keeps getting cheaper and cheaper as soon as the new model/version of the same thing comes out.

cheers,

#4718 - 10/31/07 11:17 PM Re: beginner
link9 Offline

What about the sh-201. It also says it's a beginner level synth. They aren't to expensive on ebay.

#4719 - 11/02/07 07:00 AM Re: beginner
3351 Offline

As I told you before it all depends on what you want. The Juno G is multitimbral (meaning it can play several different sounds at once), it has a built in sequencer and audio recorder (that's what you need to get some music done). The SH201 has none of the above. Meaning that in order to get full use of it you'll need a sequencer program like Cubase, Sonar, Live etc. It can't really take care of sequencing let alone audio recording on its own. It's just a synth.

That's why I suggested looking for something like the Juno G. You can make music with it without having to use a computer or hardware sequencers and DAWs. It's like a studio in a box. SH-201 is not.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Admin, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online