SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#470117 - 05/20/19 07:23 PM PCMCIA Card Question
cassp Offline

Loc: Motown
I have a Roland G70 and it has. PCMCIA for memory. I have a Smart Card adapter and a few cards. The keyboard does not seem to recognize anything from that slot. Can’t read or format cards. Can an adapter go bad? Should I buy a new one? Should I get a new card? What should I do first?

Are there any G70 people still out there? Maybe Fran or Donny may remember or have something? Hoping for some decent advice, as always.

#470122 - 05/20/19 09:00 PM Re: PCMCIA Card Question [Re: cassp]
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Are you trying to format a Compact Flash? I never had any problems with CF's, but some problems with SD cards.. I don't think there is a problem if you are using a compact flash adapter, unless there is physical damage. Could the CF be corrupt from formatted on the PC? Did the CF adapter work before?

If you are not using compact flash....get the CF and adapter, they are stable and 4 gigs is more than you can use.

#470128 - 05/20/19 10:17 PM Re: PCMCIA Card Question [Re: cassp]
TedS Offline

Loc: North Texas, USA
Cass I have an E-50, and I believe there's a way to transfer styles, UPG, etc., to and from a PC via USB "printer" cable. If your PCMCIA interface is fried (and it might happen), you could probably back up your data and import new data in this fashion. My $.02.

#470148 - 05/21/19 01:01 PM Re: PCMCIA Card Question [Re: TedS]
Terrysutt Offline

Loc: United Kingdom
Hi Cass, yes you will need a COMPACT FLASH card 3.3v and adapter.
I use them on the E80 and the E80 manual states that"Memory cards must ALWAYS be formatted.I don`t know whether you have a manual
for the G70 but if it`s the same as the E80 you format starting with the DISK MEDIA button and follow the on screen instructions.

#470167 - 05/21/19 05:26 PM Re: PCMCIA Card Question [Re: cassp]
cassp Offline

Loc: Motown
Fran, I have a Smart Card adapter and a few cards. Could one or the other be bad? I do have a CF card but no adapter; I think I sent it along when I sold the last G70.

Ted, I do have one of those ports, but I don’t want to have to hook up to a PC. I’m wondering if I could use a male to male adapter and attach a usb stick to the end of the cable. No one’s been able to answer that question near me.

Terry, as I told Fran I have a SM adapter, not a CF. They should work the same bcuz I previously had a CF adapter. When I press the Discover Media button nothing happens, whether I insert a card or not into the adapter. Does that mean the adapter is dead?

EVERYONE - I’ve seen a pcmcia to USB adapter. Would that work for inserting a usb stick with my SMF and style files, or is that card for other purposes? If we can’t solve this I may have to dig up my old 3.5” disks and try to coax some files into working.

#470169 - 05/21/19 06:02 PM Re: PCMCIA Card Question [Re: cassp]
Dnj Offline

Cass I thought you were selling your g70 I still see it on the wanted to sell forum did you decide to keep it now? ... Or?

#470170 - 05/21/19 06:04 PM Re: PCMCIA Card Question [Re: cassp]
Fran Carango Offline

Originally Posted By cassp
Fran, I have a Smart Card adapter and a few cards. Could one or the other be bad? I do have a CF card but no adapter; I think I sent it along when I sold the last G70.

Ted, I do have one of those ports, but I don’t want to have to hook up to a PC. I’m wondering if I could use a male to male adapter and attach a usb stick to the end of the cable. No one’s been able to answer that question near me.

Terry, as I told Fran I have a SM adapter, not a CF. They should work the same bcuz I previously had a CF adapter. When I press the Discover Media button nothing happens, whether I insert a card or not into the adapter. Does that mean the adapter is dead?

EVERYONE - I’ve seen a pcmcia to USB adapter. Would that work for inserting a usb stick with my SMF and style files, or is that card for other purposes? If we can’t solve this I may have to dig up my old 3.5” disks and try to coax some files into working.

Cass, I too have smart media cards from the DisCover 5. They never worked with the G70.

As you say, they never can format or read.. Simply pick up a CF adapter and be on your way.

#470173 - 05/21/19 06:12 PM Re: PCMCIA Card Question [Re: cassp]
TedS Offline

Loc: North Texas, USA
Cass I'm sorry, but your idea with the "male-to-male" cable won't work. It's just not that kind of USB port; it can't be used for that purpose.

Fran, I think some pictures might help clarify this thread. Is THIS the adapter that you're suggesting he should buy?
https://www.amazon.com/Transcend-PCMCIA-Ata-Adapter-Card/dp/B0009M069Y

If his PCMCIA socket is fried, an adapter like this may not work any better than what he already has. The question is: Is it the socket that failed, or the media itself?

Cass before I would mess with 3 1/2" diskettes, I would ask a computer geek to install one of those "floppy to USB" conversion kits. If all else fails, that would give you a viable 21st-century option.

#470174 - 05/21/19 06:17 PM Re: PCMCIA Card Question [Re: TedS]
Fran Carango Offline

YES

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online