SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#47035 - 08/13/07 04:34 AM Re: Revisiting Basics
Bernie9 Offline

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
Bill's method was the one also recommended by Alec Pagoda several years ago.

Bernie

#47036 - 08/13/07 04:40 AM Re: Revisiting Basics
Fran D Offline

Loc: Aiken, SC, USA
Bernie,

You started a wonderful thread that has brought forth some great tips from the experts on this forum.

Thanks to all,

Fran in SC

#47037 - 08/13/07 05:32 AM Re: Revisiting Basics
bruno123 Online   content

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
When you think you have it all pretty well covered a Bill Norre comes up with a new idea. Bill, how does one save a blank Sequence?

Thank you for the new idea, John C.

#47038 - 08/13/07 02:29 PM Re: Revisiting Basics
Bill Norrie Offline

Loc: North Yorkshire UK
Hi John,
Fairly straight forward

1. Having created your set-up for a particular song/tune, which does not use the sequencer, press Program Menus > Control > Initial.
2. Scroll down the 'INITIAL' screen until you highlight 'Sequencer'.
3. Press OK > YES - This will clear the sequencer but leave all your other settings intact.
4. Now just save your song/tune as normal, but on Page 2 of the save screen, make sure that the Sequencer option is set to 'YES'.

That's it !!
If you do this as a normal routine, then the 'unexpected' sequencer appearance, will not bother you again.
If you are certain that there is no data in the sequencer when you create your song/tune, then you can skip steps 1 to 3.

After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is Music.
Aldous Huxley
( especially when the music is played on a KN7000....)

#47039 - 08/14/07 06:28 AM Re: Revisiting Basics
Audrey Turner Offline

Loc: Cambridge, Cambs, England
I have two questions for you Bill:-

1) Isn't this what the EXPAND MODE is for? e.g. On the left side page 2, I have Tempo, Split Point, Foot Controller, Fade In/Out
'OFF' and on the righthand side I've got Vocalist, Midi, Mic, Equaliser and Pad Bank all permanently set to 'OFF' My understanding is that using the EXPAND MODE will always ensure these settings will not alter unless I change them.

2)At the Club last night we discussed the initialisation of the KN and it became quite heated as some use the Program Menu method and some use the three button 'Factory' method.

Again my understanding is the Program Menu method clears any mistakes made in the PM settings whereas the Factory method clears the keyboard's whole system leaving it in it's virgin state.

Could you please confirm the difference between these two methods please?

Look forward to your reply.

Audrey

#47040 - 08/14/07 09:56 AM Re: Revisiting Basics

Audrey,
I would like to answer your questions but your directed them to Bill.
After his posts if I feel I would like to add something I’ll do at that time.

John C.

#47041 - 08/15/07 01:53 AM Re: Revisiting Basics
Audrey Turner Offline

Thanks John,

That is very kind of you. I look forward to your input.

Audrey

#47042 - 08/15/07 09:33 AM Re: Revisiting Basics
Bill Norrie Offline

Loc: North Yorkshire UK
I'm away from home at present, but used my sister's PC to have a peek at Synthzone

In response to you questions Audrey :
1. Expand Mode settings are not relevant to the problem I was addressing in my previous postings. The "Program Menus > Control > Initial" screen allows you to set a selection of individual parameters to their default values and the default value for the Sequencer is CLEAR, which is what we wished to achieve.

2. The "Factory Reset" method will do "exactly what it says on the tin" ie it will initialise everything, which is not what you want, if you just wish to ensure that the Sequencer is clear, prior to saving a song/tune set-up.

The "Program Menu......" method allows you to select which individual parts of the KN7000's memory you wish to clear, or set to their default values.

After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is Music.
Aldous Huxley
( especially when the music is played on a KN7000....)

#47043 - 08/15/07 04:33 PM Re: Revisiting Basics
Audrey Turner Offline

Thanks for that Bill. Until this topic came up I'd only ever used the Programme Menu method but because of the heated arguments, I really became concerned that perhaps I was doing more harm than good which is why I questioned whether the Factory method was the correct way. However my 'gut feeling' was that having to switch off and on again to rectify a small correction/alteration in the PMs was a bit drastic. I ploughed through the manual looking for the answer without success.

Thanks again, it's a great help.

Audrey

#47044 - 08/15/07 07:57 PM Re: Revisiting Basics

Since the makers of the Technics keyboard created the Three-finger Factory delete method, the Program Menu delete method and the Extended Panel Memory how do they feel these areas should be used? You know, like looking at the big picture, why did they do this.

IMPORTANT:
1-Rom -- Read Only Memory. You read it, use it and play it but you can’t change it. (Without bringing it to a RAM area)

2-Ram – Read Access Memory – Read it, add to it, change it or delete it.
So any method you use to add information or delete information can only be done in the RAM area of your keyboard. Think of the RAM area as a holding pot which will TEMPORALLY hold your information.

Please, these are my opinions, I’m open for correction.

1- Three-finger Factory method
I very rarely use it, I feel it is for extreme cases. My last hope when all else fails. It does include all ram areas, some that are not covered in the Program Menu method.

2- Program Menu method.
This method allows you to select the parts you wish to delete. You can decide what stays and what is deleted. Not so with the Three-finger Factory method., that deletes all RAM areas. I am not sure if it deletes the 20 Custom Styles. ????

PANEL MEMORY –EXTENDED
You wrote: posted 08-14-2007 06:28 AM
Isn't this what the EXPAND MODE is for? e.g. On the left side page 2, I have Tempo, Split Point, Foot Controller, Fade In/Out
'OFF' and on the righthand side I've got Vocalist, Midi, Mic, Equaliser and Pad Bank all permanently set to 'OFF' My understanding is that using the EXPAND MODE will always ensure these settings will not alter unless I change them.

UNLESS I CHANGE THEM – Hmmmm. NO!
We work with the thought that if I put the information in the Panel Memory then the information stays there unless I made additional changes. NO!

I have my keyboard all set up –just the way I want it, then I load a song that Audrey recorded, now part or all my information is lost.
But why, I made no changes? Yes but Audrey did when she created her song, and Audrey’s changes invaded my keyboard.
So where did she make the changes? Possibly in the Panel Memory or the Sound Memory or the in the Pads or any place that has a RAM area.

There is no safe place in the keyboard to keep your information, it can be lost every time you decide to load some ones work.

Work out your own personal system in saving every RAM part of your keyboard. When you do that you are covered in every area. There been many times when people saved information in the Panel Memory thinking it was safe, it would always be there unless they changed it only to find they lost many hours of work.

BEWARE. After setting up my Panel Memory (Extended) A,B,C AND 1 through 10 with song set ups I did a save procedure and did not select ALL instead of 3 for the panel memory. Each time I worked with the project I saved it as all. The last time, in my rush, I saved it as 3. The project included complete set ups for 90 plus songs. It was not a good day.

Last thought. Page 198 in the manual tells us about the amount of time the keyboard will hold the Ram information (Your information) before it is deleted.

Hope this brings some clarity, John C.

Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online