SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#469789 - 05/10/19 06:07 AM OT new music (and old music)
rattley Offline

Loc: Punta Gorda Florida USA
Sometimes I think that listening to music is my favorite activity. I'm still old school.........I like a sound system with 15 inch woofers and a large amp. Sometimes I wear full size headphones. No ear buds or a sound bar for me !!!!

I always remember the adventure of hearing a new song on the radio and having to find it to keep. In the old days that meant driving to the record store or, in a pinch, recording it off the air. It's instant gratification now!!!

I still like listening to the hard rock from my past. AC/DC, Judas Priest, Led Zep, UFO, Bad Company. The Outlaws.........the list is endless............I can just as easily listen to Johnny Cash or Merle Haggard or even big band and classical music. I've never pigeonholed myself into only listening to one type of music.

I'm pushing 60 now and it seems like I don't "discover" as much new music I like anymore. A few months ago I praised a newer group called Greta Van Fleet. They definitely have overtones of Led Zeppelin.......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S2pa-Eb4wLE

Last week I started hearing a song I liked on the local rock station. I thought it was an older song. It sounded 80s or 90s to me. Low and behold it turned out to be a new song by the Black Keys. I've replayed that song 25 times last night and it's still in my head!!...........

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JILfwu5AWIQ

I think that until they put the nails in the box (and hopefully thereafter) I will be jamming to my favorite music!! -charley

#469790 - 05/10/19 06:47 AM Re: OT new music (and old music) [Re: rattley]
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Change Charley's 'Rock' to 'Jazz, Blues & R&B' and I feel exactly the same way. In the other post on Synth sounds, I also feel the same way as Bernie. Maybe it's just a case of 'old folks resistance to change' or maybe just liking what we're most familiar with. One nice thing about mainstream Jazz; it doesn't change very much over time.

chas

#469791 - 05/10/19 06:54 AM Re: OT new music (and old music) [Re: rattley]
Riceroni9 Offline

Loc: TX, USA
It's refreshing to know another human exists and enjoys music to fill his soul with imaginative sounds and words. Even more rewarding to know that you do not limit your musical taste to one specific genre.

Despite the "Music Industry" making a massive investment in "streaming"... I want to "own" a "hard copy" of my favorite songs... whether I use a CD or an MP3 Player capable of being filled with whatever song or composition my ravenous brain can buy or even create so I can enjoy my own play-list... not limited to one artist or genre. I refuse to let music robots suggest songs I might enjoy. I want to make my own cotton-picking decisions.

Jam on, Charley! Jam on! ...and thanks for reminding me why I dislike Apple, Microsoft, Google, Sirius and so many other marketing driven Music Streaming entities.

#469797 - 05/10/19 08:26 AM Re: OT new music (and old music) [Re: rattley]
btweengigs Offline

Loc: Florida, USA
Interesting point Charley.
My interests in music seem to fall into three categories.
1. What I am expected to play at senior gigs
2. What I like to play and learning songs that intrigue me for my own enjoyment
3. What I like to listen to….which is pretty much everything across the SiruisXM channels.
Eddie

#469804 - 05/10/19 09:41 AM Re: OT new music (and old music) [Re: btweengigs]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
I've stated previously on this forum that my mother was a major musical influence in my life, as along with being quite a talented singer, she always had music playing on the radio. I would come home from school and could be hearing anything from country to big band vocalists to classical ...In my teens a good friend of mine (to this day) introduced me to jazz ... My taste in music has been wide spread ever since ...
Like Dave, I also like to 'hold' something like a CD, but with that medium fading, I DO subscribe to Sirius for one of my vehicles ... Do I always get to hear EXACTLY what song or artist I want - maybe not - but with SO many genres to choose from, my road trips can be a lot more pleasant ...
At home, I might be listening to the radio, something from my collection, or listening to Pandora ... during dinner, my wife and I like to have Pandora's 'Dinner Jazz' station playing in the background ... I've really come to enjoy Bee Gee Adair's playing - nothing complex, just nice, including her interpretations of Elvis' ballads - https://www.greenhillmusic.com/love-elvis.item

During breakfast, our URI station plays a wide variety of music - jazz, R&B, blues, etc. each morning during the hours of 7am to 10am, then switches to classical; a station out of Newport RI plays various types of jazz or 'world music' during the day; and our local country station also gets air time in our house ...
I've got a good 18 years on Charley, so the hard rock he favors just never quite made it with me wink

But, while there is now certainly a jazz influence in our house, as when I was a kid, one can never be sure what might be 'on air' at any time ...

#469806 - 05/10/19 10:39 AM Re: OT new music (and old music) [Re: rattley]
124 Offline

That's great, Tony. An open mind coupled with open ears - great combination.

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online