SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#469346 - 04/30/19 08:05 AM Re: How to make a living playing music... [Re: travlin'easy]
Dnj Offline

Question for all....

EXCLUDING NURSING HOME JOBS......
where would you be regarding gigging today?..

#469349 - 04/30/19 09:03 AM Re: How to make a living playing music... [Re: travlin'easy]
travlin'easy Online   happy

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
I guess I would still be performing in Baltimore's restaurants and nite clubs. However, because of the pay rate, I would need to have some other form of income, even if I were playing 7 nights a week.

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#469354 - 04/30/19 09:40 AM Re: How to make a living playing music... [Re: travlin'easy]
Riceroni9 Offline

Loc: TX, USA
I can't tell you guys how much I've enjoyed reading your posts, replies, humor and just plain good reading. Pity the plight of the non-performing songwriter. There must be a new crop of about 100 wanna-bees popping up each day and an equal number packing up their tents and preparing to steal silently off into the "Desert of Despair." (Chuckling to himself.)

Now it is almost impossible to get a new song "heard" by someone who can have an impact on your career (in my case... "Hobby!") and I stopped "pitching" songs a few years ago. I've kept my head down, though, grinding away, writing and recording new material... and re-writing or performing brain surgery on many of my older songs. I play to an "Audience of One" but loving music as I do, it ain't half-bad... and there is always the possibility that Josh Groban or George Strait may hear something from my catalog and decide to take a crack at it on their next album.

You guys (including Plumbers) have my respect and admiration. Nobody ever told me this after-career choice would be easy... but it keeps me out of trouble, away from wicked women, good whiskey and I get to spend hours in my little studio most days.

Life is good and Thank God for Arrangers.

----Dave

#469355 - 04/30/19 09:48 AM Re: How to make a living playing music... [Re: travlin'easy]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
My reference to plumbers was only to indicate that they make a lot more money than most musicians. And they deserve it.

#469357 - 04/30/19 10:47 AM Re: How to make a living playing music... [Re: travlin'easy]
captain Russ Online   content

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
I make a considerable amount from the communications work I do (mid 6 figures)....films, brochures, research, strategic planning, photography, trade show management, teaching at the University level and related activities. Gary is right on. My one hour rate for live music is only $150.00 per hour...$250 for restaurants.

BUT: Music is a critical part of every complex program I work on. Every film, ad, trade show, dinner, etc. involves music. I work for a large international vehicle manufacturer. I got the business because the president is a jazz fan and came to see me. I have been billing that client over $250,000.00 per year for over 30 years.

I don't make a living playing, but playing sure helps me make a living.

Russ

Edited by captain Russ (04/30/19 10:51 AM)

#469421 - 05/01/19 07:42 AM Re: How to make a living playing music... [Re: travlin'easy]
Bill Lewis Offline

Loc: Bluffton/Hilton Head SC USA
Gary
Well written and informative post as usual but I do disagree with a few points. The amounts stated for working th NH circut are really out there. I've looked into a few here. $100 an hour is outrageous to them although I did get it a few times. Most want free to $50 No thanks And after your time booking, moving,etc. what are you really getting?
Another is your mentiion of going back to the nightclubs and bars. I dreally don't think so. An older guy with an Arranger is just not gonna get hired. Don't ask me how I know. Add to that the fact that the business has taken a big dive with very few restaurants using entrtainment and the clubs want bands. Miss the good old days
But congradulation on your willingness to help the newer guys in the business, keep on going.

#469429 - 05/01/19 08:54 AM Re: How to make a living playing music... [Re: travlin'easy]
travlin'easy Online   happy

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Bill, nursing home performance prices vary considerably, depending on the area where the venue is located. As it turned, the mid-Atlantic region was the highest paying area in the US, while the lowest paying venues were the southeastern US states. Northeastern US states and mid-western US states payed about 25 percent less than my area, with some exceptions. The Northwest paid about the same as the northeast states.

When I first began performing the NH circuit, I was getting $50 an hour, which was about the same as I could hope for providing a 4-hour performance at a nite club including tips. When I announced on this forum that I was thinking about raising my rates, most everyone here said I would lose jobs. Ironically, I actually booked twice as many jobs when I went to $100 per hour. I guess the ADs thought I was really, really good because I cost twice as much as the competition. A few years later, I raised my rates to $125 an hour - again, the number of jobs increased, and some that I had to turn down because of scheduling conflicts offered $150 if I would consider doing a double.

Additionally, I became the go to guy when the senior facilities held their special events, strawberry festivals, rose festivals, etc... On top of these, each facility usually held a family day, during which time they also held their corporate party on site. I was usually booked for both at my top rate and they frequently lasted more than 2 hours.

Now, I agree that no one in a nite club or restaurant wants to see some grey or white haired old man sitting at an arranger keyboard playing music. Don't know if you remember, but when you met me here at the Synthzone Jam, my hair was medium brown. The reason behind this was an easy choice for me. I had senior venues and nite clubs that would not hire me when when I had white hair, which I had by age 30. I solicited the assistance of Garnier Nutruese #60 (acorn color), applied it for 8 minutes then showered. The result was a medium brown color that even the lady that cut my hair at Great Clips thought it was my natural color, which it was when I was in my mid 20s. A year later went back to the same locations and booked jobs at every one of them. Appearance makes a huge difference. Yes, age discrimination exists, especially in the entertainment field.

Along those lines of appearance, I always figured that I should look better and dress snappier than the competition. This too, worked to my benefit. I wore bright colored, satin shirts, a matching tie, cuff links, tie chain, kept my hair neatly trimmed, wore shiny shoes and black, dress slacks. I also wore a very, very fancy silk vest. The ladies loved they way I looked, I got hit on by ladies ranging from age 30 to 90, which was flattering, and the ADs all said they had nothing but good things to say about both my performances and the way I conducted business.

I agree that most of the restaurants and clubs no longer have live music, and instead, they often purchase an online music package that is played through a house system. IMO, this is a big mistake on their part and not conducive to luring customers to their place of business. In contrast, DonM is a classic example of what a great entertainer can do for a business. On nights when Don was no longer performing at Ernest's Restaurant, mainly because of health issues, business dropped off by a considerable margin. When he returned, the crowds returned and revenue increased.

I don't blame nite club and restaurant owners for no longer having live music - it's a business decision and you need to sell a huge number of additional drinks just to hit the break even point to pay the entertainer his $150 fee. The only way to convince them otherwise would be to do a half-price job and have a couple dozen followers show up that night. At the very least, you would be working that night, but not for the pay you had hoped for. A best case scenario would be that you end up with a long-term, higher-paying job.

Hope this helps,

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online