SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#4693 - 04/07/05 03:56 PM Roland...First time Giggin'
shboom Offline

Loc: Victoria, British Columbia
We're (our showband) is being flown to Saskatoon on Sunday for a big concert/show.
They're supplying all the equip. with the exception of some special electronics & effects, which we'll bring along.
For a piano they've secured a Roland (don't know the model, except it's a full 88), but I'll let you know how things turned out when I return. I'm curious as to how the sound is going to be. I don't know whether they (Rolands) have a tendency towards brightness or bottom end, or how quickly I can perform a program change, mid-song.
....Wish me luck...it's gonna be a long flight and a long night....and hopefully we'll make out alright.

Thursday's bring out the poet in me!

------------------
...shboom

#4694 - 04/11/05 04:16 PM Re: Roland...First time Giggin'
shboom Offline

Well...as it turned out, I was supplied with the Roland RD600. I guess it was an okay unit for what I needed, but I really missed my SP100. IMO..there was just no comparison. I wasn't too crazy about the over all feel of the RD600. We arrived about 2 hours prior to playing, so after checking in to the hotel, then travelling to the venue, I didn't get much time during sound check to find out what it was really capable of.
I used it for standard piano numbers and for those requiring electric piano, which I must say sounded alright, at least from what I could hear from the stage monitors, which btw were these new little JBLs, very lightweight powerhouses on stage.
My T3 travelled and performed flawlessly.
The gig went well, somewhere around 800 to 1000 people, at least that was my guesstimate from where I was on stage.
The sound was handled by BigDog sound. I believe they're out of Saskatoon, but I may be wrong on that. Cory, the head soundman was probably one of the best I've ever had the pleasure to work with.
If you needed it, you got it. He was on top of sound control the entire night, and his crew were excellent also.
There's a possibility of us going back to do New Year's, but that's yet to be negotiated.

------------------
...shboom

[This message has been edited by shboom (edited 04-11-2005).]

#4695 - 04/11/05 04:41 PM Re: Roland...First time Giggin'
The Insider Offline

Loc: Buckinghamshire,England
Dear Shboom

I can empathise with your live difficulties regarding the sounds you would like to make and the equipment you are used to using to get the "right sound".

I can remember being on tour with Gloria Gaynor in the mid 80s - we were scheduled to do a gig in Guernsey (a small UK tax-haven island just off the coast of France) that was billed as a premier nightspot. We had to take our frontline gear (synths, guitars and such) and the venue woould supply the backline. We turned up at the venue to be greeted by 1960s Ampeg guitar amps and bass speakers (hardly the correct amplification for Korg Poly 6s, DX7s and the like), and frankly it sounded dreadful (certainly from an on-stage point of view!)

However it was considered one of the beat gigs ever done on the island at the time - I suppose that the moral of this paricular experience is that although the gear might be less than serviceable, the result is usually OK from the perspective of those customers who have no inside knowledge as to what is achieveable, or what is the "correct" sound structure.

#4696 - 04/11/05 08:20 PM Re: Roland...First time Giggin'
shboom Offline

Gear supplied (to the best of my memory) included:
For Myself:
  • RD600 (I brought along my own T3)
  • Fender Twin
  • Fender Tele

Dan:Bass
  • Hartke Amp
  • Fender Jazz

Paul: Drums

• Yamaha

Bill:guitar
  • Fender VibroDeluxe
  • Gibson SG
  • ...he also brought along his own strat & effects

For our 2 female vocalists
  • Electro Voice wireless

All other vocal mics
  • Beta57

Front End & Monitors:
  • All JBL....as far as the eye could see.

If I can round up some pics from the gig, I'll post them.

------------------
...shboom

[This message has been edited by shboom (edited 04-11-2005).]

#4697 - 04/12/05 03:38 PM Re: Roland...First time Giggin'
Sheriff Offline

Loc: Frankfurt, Hessen, Germany
Quote:
Originally posted by shboom:
If I can round up some pics from the gig, I'll post them.

Congrats for the felicitous gig!!!
I'm curiously awaiting these pics too.

------------------
Greetings from Frankfurt (Germany),
Sheriff ;-)

Moderator:  Admin, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online