SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#469147 - 04/25/19 03:19 PM Why piano?
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Bachus 'new toy' and his primary (musical) reason for purchasing it, got me to wondering; why do we place so much emphasis on the quality of the 'piano' sound when buying (or evaluating) a new keyboard. Most of us are not (primarily) pianist and few of us do arrangements that feature solo piano or piano solos within an arrangement. The fact is, most of the mid and TOTL arrangers AND workstations have piano voices that are more than adequate for most of our mixes. In fact, some of the 'factory' piano voices may even be better suited to the other voices in the mix than some of the very expensive SUPER-DUPER software samples that require powerful computers with loads of memory. The same with the even more expensive dedicated 'stage pianos', although I can see the justification for a stage piano (but only if you're a pianist, NOT just for providing a superior piano voice for your regular arrangements).

I am not a pianist by any stretch of the imagination but I have found that the pianos in my Tyros II, Fantom G7, BK7m, or even my latest toy, the very inexpensive Numa Compact 2x, are more than up to the task if the performance is us to snuff. What's more important to me is the feel of the keybed and in that regard, the Fantom is lightyears ahead of the others. Some people like the new offering for the SEVEN (a free upgrade) but I'm not a huge fan, probably because I don't like that keybed for AP (although it's perfect for 'Rhodes'.

Your thoughts on why the quality of the piano voice is so important to you even though you're not a pianist.

chas

#469149 - 04/25/19 04:49 PM Re: Why piano? [Re: cgiles]
musicforyourday Offline

Loc: So California, USA
I am a primary Piano giuy that plays a Genos

so alway looking to Improve Piano sounds TBH

#469152 - 04/25/19 05:28 PM Re: Why piano? [Re: cgiles]
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
I’m a pianist, I find the Pa4x and Genos pianos with the ability to tweak them work just fine for playing piano on an arranger. If I’m really looking for a more authentic piano the CVP307 Clavinova pianos do it for me along with the 88 keys and graded keyboard action.

Edited by Stephenm52 (04/25/19 05:30 PM)

#469154 - 04/25/19 05:31 PM Re: Why piano? [Re: cgiles]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Not a piano guy, but many of my audience members know how a good piano sounds. There is always someone in the lobbies that is a resident that is a piano player and wailing away at the Yamaha or Steinway grand. And, more often than not, there is a group of folks standing around the piano singing (howling). wink

A few years ago, there was a guy with a cheap Casio that relied heavily on the piano voice - which was just awful. It didn't take long for the resident council to tell the AD not to bring him back. He was a very talented player, but the sounds coming out of the amp were not on par with today's TOTL and mid range arranger keyboards.

Now, DonM relies heavily on his guitar sounds/voices, but he too uses the piano for a lot of his on stage productions. I have heard him play using both guitars and pianos and he really does a fantastic job with both. I'm fairly confident that he would have problem with any keyboard that didn't have great piano sounds.

Many years ago, when I was experiencing phase cancellation using Yamaha's Grand Piano that was heavily, stereo-sampled, I spent the better part of three months creating a mono grand piano based on a midi grand piano. It took a lot of time to get it to sound great, but I finally managed to get what I considered an acceptable, end product. I posted the piano voice on line and it has been downloaded more than 1,000 times since I posted it. Many users tell me it is their go-to piano voice, which is quite flattering, at least to me.

All the best,

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#469157 - 04/25/19 06:39 PM Re: Why piano? [Re: cgiles]
montunoman Offline

Loc: Dallas, Texas
Hi Gary, how can I obtain your Yamaha mono piano patch?

www.youtube.com/channel/UCV94i--V-A8kZShmGTKyDOw

https://www.facebook.com/elgrupocache

#469158 - 04/25/19 08:47 PM Re: Why piano? [Re: cgiles]
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Originally Posted By cgiles
Bachus 'new toy' and his primary (musical) reason for purchasing it, got me to wondering; why do we place so much emphasis on the quality of the 'piano' sound when buying (or evaluating) a new keyboard. Most of us are not (primarily) pianist and few of us do arrangements that feature solo piano or piano solos within an arrangement. The fact is, most of the mid and TOTL arrangers AND workstations have piano voices that are more than adequate for most of our mixes. In fact, some of the 'factory' piano voices may even be better suited to the other voices in the mix than some of the very expensive SUPER-DUPER software samples that require powerful computers with loads of memory. The same with the even more expensive dedicated 'stage pianos', although I can see the justification for a stage piano (but only if you're a pianist, NOT just for providing a superior piano voice for your regular arrangements).

I am not a pianist by any stretch of the imagination but I have found that the pianos in my Tyros II, Fantom G7, BK7m, or even my latest toy, the very inexpensive Numa Compact 2x, are more than up to the task if the performance is us to snuff. What's more important to me is the feel of the keybed and in that regard, the Fantom is lightyears ahead of the others. Some people like the new offering for the SEVEN (a free upgrade) but I'm not a huge fan, probably because I don't like that keybed for AP (although it's perfect for 'Rhodes'.

Your thoughts on why the quality of the piano voice is so important to you even though you're not a pianist.

chas

I always judge a keyboard by the acoustic piano sound.. I want it to be dynamic and playable.. I believe if the manufacture takes care in the piano sound, you can bet they also take care in the development of other sounds.. Bad piano, I pass over the brand.

#469159 - 04/25/19 09:15 PM Re: Why piano? [Re: cgiles]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Piano doesn't matter much to me. They all are pretty good. Last one I didn't like was in Roland E50.

#469160 - 04/25/19 10:02 PM Re: Why piano? [Re: cgiles]
cgiles Offline

Fran, I think a lot of keyboard players feel that way, but this may stem from a time when not many synths or workstations HAD good piano sounds. I think that has changed with the newer keyboards, and that most now have usable piano voices. This 'great piano' thing seems more important to older, more seasoned players. I wonder if it's that important to the younger players?

chas

#469166 - 04/26/19 04:21 AM Re: Why piano? [Re: cgiles]
Kabinopus Offline

Loc: Russia
I’ve been all over the piano for like forever, but in recent years I use electric piano a lot (voices like Rhodes piano).

A piano voice started to appear a little bit cold and too serious to me. Also, when you play bass notes on the piano it makes music a little bit too heavy, esp “walking bass”. Electric piano is more neutral. Now I rehearse with a singing girl and I like that electric piano does not steal the focus from her voice.

Also, I play epiano mostly without a pedal. So there’s no need in huge polyphony. It makes me to rediscover my Yamaha MM6, because it has some decent epiano voices as its 32 voices polyphony is not a problem. Also, MM6 has a tighter keybed than my PSR-S950.

But I agree that a default piano voice says a lot about a keyboard.

Edited by Kabinopus (04/26/19 04:21 AM)

#469167 - 04/26/19 04:28 AM Re: Why piano? [Re: cgiles]
bruno123 Online   content

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
So my friend who plays sax can not find a sax on a keyboard that he likes. I feel the same way about guitars, although they are coming pretty close.

I have tunes pianos from $500 to $125,000, and had a Dad who played concert piano – and my late wife studied at the Performing arts in New York City, (Fame), we had a Steinway grand in our living room. I like them all, but the grand piano is my favorite.

That means it is an induvial preference based on our exposure and what we are playing. There is no THE BEST, only an opinion of what is best.
IMO, John C.

#469170 - 04/26/19 06:32 AM Re: Why piano? [Re: cgiles]
Riceroni9 Offline

Loc: TX, USA
Well said, John C.: (Bruno)

It is "all about personal taste" and the fact that a few of us must compromise because of the "affordability factor."

Whew... I just noticed Mason has finally re-surfaced with a post on this thread. As usual, short and direct but brimming with wit and wisdom. Glad he is okay. Without his presence, "The Zone's General Arranger Forum" is a pretty dull place.

I frequent another couple of "sites" for songwriters and musicians and performers... and it appears that both of them are dying a slow death. Is that because of the smart phone being used more than the personal computer? My best Buddy has made that transition and we seem to be losing touch 'cause he seldom reads his E-mail these days.

Sorry for the temporary change in direction, Chas. Guess I'm just an old man reminiscing and bitching about change! LOL!

---Dave

#469178 - 04/26/19 07:19 AM Re: Why piano? [Re: cgiles]
travlin'easy Offline

Paul, I'll upload the file to this site when I get home later this afternoon.

Gary

#469189 - 04/26/19 08:17 AM Re: Why piano? [Re: cgiles]
Kabinopus Offline

Yes, John C., speaking about guitars, keyboards imitate them rather well, and in a certain context they may sound even better than original ones, but after a while a guitar proves that it has a whole range of different voices of its own, and as any acoustic instrument it never repeats the same sound twice.

BTW I’m sending this post using my smartphone while I’m riding on a bus.

Edited by Kabinopus (04/26/19 08:20 AM)

#469195 - 04/26/19 09:18 AM Re: Why piano? [Re: cgiles]
Bachus Offline

chas

In my case, i am mostly playing piano voices... about 70% of my time behind the keyboards. Half the time its layered with another sound.. but allways prominent ..

Often with a backing of only drums or drums, base, guitar..

Its only logical to me that for the sound you use most, you have the best options available..

And while i really like the piano sounds of the modx8 (CFX and Bösendorfer), like them more then the Kronos piano’s. I prefer the Steinway and the Fazzioli grandpiano sounds (not just the samples, but the real thing to)

But again, as stated in the other topic, are they a need or a want? Could i live witouth them? Offcourse i could.

And yes, i also have a fair collection of software piano’s.. but i am in a phase where i want to keep the macbook as far away as possible from my setup... so this choice seemed only logical to me.. its better to have a few extra sounds you keep on using, instead of a few 100 (yammex/integra) ... for solo piano, the difference between the brands of grands is deffinately there

http://keyszone.boards.net

#469200 - 04/26/19 10:10 AM Re: Why piano? [Re: cgiles]
cgiles Offline

Bachus, this post was not aimed at you....or Steve, or Russ, or Sam CA, or any of the KNOWN pianists in the group; we KNOW why you guys want a great piano/(s); for the same reason these durn guitar players (sorry Russ, Nigel, Eric, John C.) HAVE TO HAVE 8 gazillion guitars; it's their PRIMARY instrument and they want as many options as possible. Although we welcome your replies, this was mainly aimed at those keyboardist for whom piano is NOT their primary instrument. I believe Fran's answer came closest to the truth; we hold the piano up as the 'gold standard' and assume that the quality of the PIANO voice will probably reflect the quality of the other voices in the instrument. In any case, very interesting responses and another opportunity to peek into the mind of that mysterious creature, the keyboard player (and his sub-species, the arranger player smile ).

chas

#469201 - 04/26/19 10:28 AM Re: Why piano? [Re: cgiles]
Dnj Offline

Bachus, this post was not aimed at you....or Steve, or Russ, or Sam CA, or any of the KNOWN pianists in the group; we KNOW why you guys want a great piano/(s); for the same reason these durn guitar players (sorry Russ, Nigel, Eric, John C.) HAVE TO HAVE 8 gazillion guitars; it's their PRIMARY instrument and they want as many options as possible. Although we welcome your replies, this was mainly aimed at those keyboardist for whom piano is NOT their primary instrument. I believe Fran's answer came closest to the truth; we hold the piano up as the 'gold standard' and assume that the quality of the PIANO voice will probably reflect the quality of the other voices in the instrument. In any case, very interesting responses and another opportunity to peek into the mind of that mysterious creature, the keyboard player (and his sub-species, the arranger player smile ).

chas

Either your a piano player or a arranger kb player...
No matter how good the piano is in an arranger kb, module or whatever if you play it in a MIX of other instruments like a style, sequence etc...you will most definitely lose the true nuances of the piano. IMO Piano should be play as such, a solo acoustic instrument so the player can express all their talents when doing so which is beautiful when done properly...and the Piano is then showcased as it should be.
But MIX the piano sound with the band, style, etc,....
it's just another sound within the MIX and no one can really hear it's attributes vs a solo piano.

JMO

#469202 - 04/26/19 11:29 AM Re: Why piano? [Re: Dnj]
Kabinopus Offline

Originally Posted By Dnj
[IMO Piano should be play as such, a solo acoustic instrument so the player can express all their talents when doing so which is beautiful when done properly...and the Piano is then showcased as it should be.

Well, I’m not sure that mixing piano with other instruments is something controversial. As I understand, even Chopin did that:

Edited by Kabinopus (04/26/19 11:36 AM)

#469203 - 04/26/19 11:37 AM Re: Why piano? [Re: Kabinopus]
Dnj Offline

It doesn't matter about Chopin or anyone else, if it's not played SOLO the listeners ear will not appreciate the little nuances which get masked by anything else in the mix. Yes it sounds ok to a point but to the affectianato it's obscured from it's pureness.

headphone

Edited by Dnj (04/26/19 11:41 AM)

#469205 - 04/26/19 12:00 PM Re: Why piano? [Re: cgiles]
Kabinopus Offline

As a matter of fact, I have an idea that piano is a kind of instrument that can be easily overused. Like other instruments, piano has its own beautiful voice. But unlike other instruments, it is much more advanced in terms of its range and ease of playing. As a result, it provokes to compose and perform types of music which, let’s say, are hard to get.

I was able to really appreciate the piano only when I came across records of Richard Clayderman. We can say that it’s “poppy”, but I believe that if music touches you emotionally, then the job is done.

Also, as one producer I know says, if you want your mix to sound cool when it’s done, then take a really good care of an each sound in the first place. If initial materials are weak, nothing will make it to sound strong on the output.

#469208 - 04/26/19 01:42 PM Re: Why piano? [Re: cgiles]
travlin'easy Offline

"affectianato" I didn't run across any of them in the places I performed. Ferrante & Teicher, Libberache, Cole Porter, etc... were not residents or customers in the places where I played. wink

Gary cool

#469209 - 04/26/19 01:46 PM Re: Why piano? [Re: cgiles]
travlin'easy Offline

Paul and other Yamaha arranger keyboard players. Attached is the piano voice file I created nearly a decade ago. It will work on ALL Yamaha arranger keyboards manufactured after the PSR-2000. There are also some other neat voices I created in the file as well, sax, guitar, etc...

You can download the files from HERE

Have fun,

Gary cool

#469210 - 04/26/19 01:48 PM Re: Why piano? [Re: travlin'easy]
Dnj Offline

Gary was these sounds created to deter the Yamaha PHASING problems
people were having using MONO vs Stereo....?

#469212 - 04/26/19 01:57 PM Re: Why piano? [Re: cgiles]
travlin'easy Offline

Yes, there were several voices that produced fairly strong phase cancellation, all were heavily stereo sampled. The voices I posted are all MONO voices, thus solving the problems of phase cancellation, while still providing some neat effects and depth quality.

Gary

#469234 - 04/27/19 03:56 PM Re: Why piano? [Re: cgiles]
ekurburski Offline

Loc: Mountain Home, AR
Piano is just one more of the voices on the arranger. I tend to be more impressed with guitar sounds and good horn sounds. Also of great importance to me is ability to switch between sounds on the fly.

#469235 - 04/27/19 04:09 PM Re: Why piano? [Re: ekurburski]
Eric, B Offline

Loc: Ventura, Ca, USA
Originally Posted By ekurburski
Piano is just one more of the voices on the arranger. I tend to be more impressed with guitar sounds and good horn sounds. Also of great importance to me is ability to switch between sounds on the fly.

+1

#469324 - 04/29/19 10:43 AM Re: Why piano? [Re: Eric, B]
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Got my first one, a Wurlitzer, after I heard Ray Charley play " What'd I Say?"

After that, it was all downhill. Playing keyboard (an M-3 quickly followed) and guitar made jobs a lot easier to get.

LOVE THEM ALL!

R.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online