SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#469147 - 04/25/19 03:19 PM Why piano?
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Bachus 'new toy' and his primary (musical) reason for purchasing it, got me to wondering; why do we place so much emphasis on the quality of the 'piano' sound when buying (or evaluating) a new keyboard. Most of us are not (primarily) pianist and few of us do arrangements that feature solo piano or piano solos within an arrangement. The fact is, most of the mid and TOTL arrangers AND workstations have piano voices that are more than adequate for most of our mixes. In fact, some of the 'factory' piano voices may even be better suited to the other voices in the mix than some of the very expensive SUPER-DUPER software samples that require powerful computers with loads of memory. The same with the even more expensive dedicated 'stage pianos', although I can see the justification for a stage piano (but only if you're a pianist, NOT just for providing a superior piano voice for your regular arrangements).

I am not a pianist by any stretch of the imagination but I have found that the pianos in my Tyros II, Fantom G7, BK7m, or even my latest toy, the very inexpensive Numa Compact 2x, are more than up to the task if the performance is us to snuff. What's more important to me is the feel of the keybed and in that regard, the Fantom is lightyears ahead of the others. Some people like the new offering for the SEVEN (a free upgrade) but I'm not a huge fan, probably because I don't like that keybed for AP (although it's perfect for 'Rhodes'.

Your thoughts on why the quality of the piano voice is so important to you even though you're not a pianist.

chas

#469149 - 04/25/19 04:49 PM Re: Why piano? [Re: cgiles]
musicforyourday Offline

Loc: So California, USA
I am a primary Piano giuy that plays a Genos

so alway looking to Improve Piano sounds TBH

#469152 - 04/25/19 05:28 PM Re: Why piano? [Re: cgiles]
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
I’m a pianist, I find the Pa4x and Genos pianos with the ability to tweak them work just fine for playing piano on an arranger. If I’m really looking for a more authentic piano the CVP307 Clavinova pianos do it for me along with the 88 keys and graded keyboard action.

Edited by Stephenm52 (04/25/19 05:30 PM)

#469154 - 04/25/19 05:31 PM Re: Why piano? [Re: cgiles]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Not a piano guy, but many of my audience members know how a good piano sounds. There is always someone in the lobbies that is a resident that is a piano player and wailing away at the Yamaha or Steinway grand. And, more often than not, there is a group of folks standing around the piano singing (howling). wink

A few years ago, there was a guy with a cheap Casio that relied heavily on the piano voice - which was just awful. It didn't take long for the resident council to tell the AD not to bring him back. He was a very talented player, but the sounds coming out of the amp were not on par with today's TOTL and mid range arranger keyboards.

Now, DonM relies heavily on his guitar sounds/voices, but he too uses the piano for a lot of his on stage productions. I have heard him play using both guitars and pianos and he really does a fantastic job with both. I'm fairly confident that he would have problem with any keyboard that didn't have great piano sounds.

Many years ago, when I was experiencing phase cancellation using Yamaha's Grand Piano that was heavily, stereo-sampled, I spent the better part of three months creating a mono grand piano based on a midi grand piano. It took a lot of time to get it to sound great, but I finally managed to get what I considered an acceptable, end product. I posted the piano voice on line and it has been downloaded more than 1,000 times since I posted it. Many users tell me it is their go-to piano voice, which is quite flattering, at least to me.

All the best,

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#469157 - 04/25/19 06:39 PM Re: Why piano? [Re: cgiles]
montunoman Offline

Loc: Dallas, Texas
Hi Gary, how can I obtain your Yamaha mono piano patch?

www.youtube.com/channel/UCV94i--V-A8kZShmGTKyDOw

https://www.facebook.com/elgrupocache

#469158 - 04/25/19 08:47 PM Re: Why piano? [Re: cgiles]
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Originally Posted By cgiles
Bachus 'new toy' and his primary (musical) reason for purchasing it, got me to wondering; why do we place so much emphasis on the quality of the 'piano' sound when buying (or evaluating) a new keyboard. Most of us are not (primarily) pianist and few of us do arrangements that feature solo piano or piano solos within an arrangement. The fact is, most of the mid and TOTL arrangers AND workstations have piano voices that are more than adequate for most of our mixes. In fact, some of the 'factory' piano voices may even be better suited to the other voices in the mix than some of the very expensive SUPER-DUPER software samples that require powerful computers with loads of memory. The same with the even more expensive dedicated 'stage pianos', although I can see the justification for a stage piano (but only if you're a pianist, NOT just for providing a superior piano voice for your regular arrangements).

I am not a pianist by any stretch of the imagination but I have found that the pianos in my Tyros II, Fantom G7, BK7m, or even my latest toy, the very inexpensive Numa Compact 2x, are more than up to the task if the performance is us to snuff. What's more important to me is the feel of the keybed and in that regard, the Fantom is lightyears ahead of the others. Some people like the new offering for the SEVEN (a free upgrade) but I'm not a huge fan, probably because I don't like that keybed for AP (although it's perfect for 'Rhodes'.

Your thoughts on why the quality of the piano voice is so important to you even though you're not a pianist.

chas

I always judge a keyboard by the acoustic piano sound.. I want it to be dynamic and playable.. I believe if the manufacture takes care in the piano sound, you can bet they also take care in the development of other sounds.. Bad piano, I pass over the brand.

#469159 - 04/25/19 09:15 PM Re: Why piano? [Re: cgiles]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Piano doesn't matter much to me. They all are pretty good. Last one I didn't like was in Roland E50.

#469160 - 04/25/19 10:02 PM Re: Why piano? [Re: cgiles]
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Fran, I think a lot of keyboard players feel that way, but this may stem from a time when not many synths or workstations HAD good piano sounds. I think that has changed with the newer keyboards, and that most now have usable piano voices. This 'great piano' thing seems more important to older, more seasoned players. I wonder if it's that important to the younger players?

chas

#469166 - 04/26/19 04:21 AM Re: Why piano? [Re: cgiles]
Kabinopus Offline

Loc: Russia
I’ve been all over the piano for like forever, but in recent years I use electric piano a lot (voices like Rhodes piano).

A piano voice started to appear a little bit cold and too serious to me. Also, when you play bass notes on the piano it makes music a little bit too heavy, esp “walking bass”. Electric piano is more neutral. Now I rehearse with a singing girl and I like that electric piano does not steal the focus from her voice.

Also, I play epiano mostly without a pedal. So there’s no need in huge polyphony. It makes me to rediscover my Yamaha MM6, because it has some decent epiano voices as its 32 voices polyphony is not a problem. Also, MM6 has a tighter keybed than my PSR-S950.

But I agree that a default piano voice says a lot about a keyboard.

Edited by Kabinopus (04/26/19 04:21 AM)

#469167 - 04/26/19 04:28 AM Re: Why piano? [Re: cgiles]
bruno123 Online   content

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
So my friend who plays sax can not find a sax on a keyboard that he likes. I feel the same way about guitars, although they are coming pretty close.

I have tunes pianos from $500 to $125,000, and had a Dad who played concert piano – and my late wife studied at the Performing arts in New York City, (Fame), we had a Steinway grand in our living room. I like them all, but the grand piano is my favorite.

That means it is an induvial preference based on our exposure and what we are playing. There is no THE BEST, only an opinion of what is best.
IMO, John C.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online