SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#468968 - 04/21/19 03:30 PM Page Turner AirTurn Digit III custom project idea
jimlaing Offline

Loc: Raleigh, NC
Hi ... I had bought an AirTurn Digit III to use as a "page-turner" along with my iPad. The unit functions fine, but its physical design is such that it does not work all that well on a flat (smooth) surface. Esp. if using the right and left buttons. I came up with a way to make it work better ... attaching my 'assembly idea' photos here ...

This made it MUCH more stable on top of my Genos!
Hope the idea might help someone else too ...

-Jim

Attachments
AirTurn Digit III Project.pdf (122 downloads)

#468979 - 04/22/19 03:29 AM Re: Page Turner AirTurn Digit III custom project idea [Re: jimlaing]
Scott Langholff Online   content

Loc: Pensacola, Florida, USA
Hi Jim

I've used foot switches to control turning pages hands free which worked quite well.

I have also just touched my tablet to turn pages but the foot controls are way better.

I just don't understand why anyone would want a device like this if you're going to use your hands to turn pages when you could easily do that by touching your tablet/laptop.

Maybe a pic of your set up would help me understand why you would want to do it this way.

Thanks

Scott

Edited by Scott Langholff (04/22/19 03:30 AM)

#468984 - 04/22/19 06:03 AM Re: Page Turner AirTurn Digit III custom project idea [Re: jimlaing]
jimlaing Offline

Hi - yes, I have used foot controllers too. For me, my tablet is quite a "stretch" away from me, since I have a 2nd keyboard above my Genos ... I sometimes still turn by tapping it, but sometimes, I want to move my hand a lot less, a few inches from where I am playing, to turn a page. I already have so many foot pedals and a volume pedal, that I wanted to try using hand-based page-turning, such that I can have a device just a few inches above where I am playing.

Yes, if you have a small setup, and your tablet/laptop is very close "at hand", my little idea would not really be needed or useful. For me, where I have to make quite a hand/arm motion to reach my table, it ends up being handy to have this little control right near where I am playing. . .

Jim

#469101 - 04/23/19 04:26 PM Re: Page Turner AirTurn Digit III custom project idea [Re: jimlaing]
jimlaing Offline

Here is a photo of one my rigs, showing how the Digit III page-turner device is about 6" from my hand in playing position, while my iPad's "where to tap for next page" is about 20" away (and 14" back or 14" away from me). I could figure out a way to mount the iPad a bit lower perhaps ... but having the Digit III only a few inches from where my hand is on the keyboard, still seems like a convenience for me.

It might also be useful for people using laptops for music display, where they don't have touch-screens on them.

Jim

Attachments
Jim's rig with iPad.jpg

#469109 - 04/23/19 11:46 PM Re: Page Turner AirTurn Digit III custom project idea [Re: jimlaing]
Scott Langholff Online   content

Loc: Pensacola, Florida, USA
Thanks Jim. I see what you mean.

#469114 - 04/24/19 10:51 AM Re: Page Turner AirTurn Digit III custom project idea [Re: jimlaing]
Riceroni9 Offline

Loc: TX, USA
Hi Jim:

An interesting setup. It's a shame the Airturn Folks don't make a large single "target" for you to reach for as you play and need to turn a page. Makes me happy I don't need to perform to live audiences. As a song-writer who attempts to play and sing "behind closed curtains" (are you reminded of a certain Wizard? LOL!) because I can get away with all manner of "deceptive practices" such as cutting and splicing away delays needed when movements are needed beyond my speed range.

Keep us posted when convenient as you continue this project. Best of luck to you.

----Dave

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online