SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#4688 - 02/08/06 07:11 AM soft synths
Anonymous
Unregistered

could anybody answer some of my bacis questions on sof syths as im new to them.
what does a soft sampler do?
how do you control in real time the patches/samples you are creating using MIDI keyboards controllers, and alternative MIDI controllers?

cheers

#4689 - 02/09/06 09:27 AM Re: soft synths
3351 Offline

Loc: Toronto, Canada.
Soft synths and samplers are made of softer plastic and other materials that are soft to the touch. There are also blow up rubber synths and of coarse samplers. The reason is weight. when you travel a lot carrying a hard synthesizer around can hurt you and others. A soft synth is therefore more adequate for this task. It can't hurt you or others if dropped or thrown. This also has to do with some musicians being rather violent and aggressive (just their nature). Obviously the aggressive types aren't allowed to use hard synths and samplers at all.

So here you go. ;-)

Okay. here's the real skinny.

Software synthesizers are just like hardware synthesizers but they only exist inside your computer. The only space they take up is hard disk space. They respond and sound just like hardware synths (in general that is) and are usually controlled by either a dedicated MIDi controller or any keyboard that has MIDI.
Editing of all the parameters is much easier since a software instrument (be it a sampler or a synth. Or both at the same time) is basically a program with it's own interface. All the parameters are available and can be stored and loaded as well. The advantage of software instruments is that they can load more samples. You can run as many of them as your computer's CPU can handle and most important of all they cost far less and simply deliver more for the money.
Some of us mad fanatics still use hardware instruments though. Mostly because each and every synth model has it's own unique character to the sound and so on.

Hope this helps. I've probably posted a ton of different threads and replyes so feel free to search the archives.

Later,

-ED-

#4690 - 02/09/06 09:03 PM Re: soft synths
Nigel Offline
Admin

Loc: Ventura CA USA
ED always knows what he is talking about so you can search for his past postings and find a wealth of information on soft synths as well as other gear.

By the way ED what are you doing yourself musically nowdays? You always help new members with their questions but we don't always know what your own current projects are. I'm just curious that's all. What is your own choice of gear setup currently ( hardware & software )? And is life in general going well for you and your family?

Cheers,
Nigel

[This message has been edited by Nigel (edited 02-11-2006).]

#4691 - 02/10/06 07:13 AM Re: soft synths
3351 Offline

Loc: Toronto, Canada.
Thanks Nigel,
family are good. That's the most important thing. My son is now 7 months old and he is a big healthy guy. Wife is good. Daughter is busy with her school. All are well. I just had a minor eye surgery so I'm still on painkillers. ;-)

I'm still building my new studio and that's fun. My current setup is:

1. mac G5 dual 2.7Ghz.
4. MOTU 828 MK II.
3. Motif ES, MWXT, NOva, Micro Q and the rest of it. I'm selling my DX/TX stuff though. Also selling my 01W but some wise ones over at Yahoo 01W user group are talking me out of it.

Guitars are still hanging around. All 15 of them. I'm not getting more.

My work has changed a bit since lately i've been assisting my friend on his new project. We're basically recording orchestras and bands. Doesn't quite help to pay the bills yet but that's how it is with any investments.

[This message has been edited by 3351 (edited 02-10-2006).]

Moderator:  Admin, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online