SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#468926 - 04/19/19 05:08 PM Capt Russ Product Production & Music Video
Dnj Offline

It's a very Cool Innovative product...... cool2
The Video Production and Music Background
Russ & his company has created really sounds professional.
The Rhodes and later on the Hammond Organ, etc, fits perfectly as an easy listening scenario to
backup the narrator talking about the product.
Take a look,.... see what you think.
Russ was kind enough to share some of his work with us
and would really appreciate your thoughts also.

Thank You

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FL7Z4_fjsRs&feature=youtu.be

Edited by Dnj (04/21/19 05:51 AM)

#468928 - 04/19/19 07:29 PM Re: Capt Russ Product Production & Music Video [Re: Dnj]
jingleman Offline

Loc: The Villages, FL, USA
Nice production Russ. Music fits well with the product being described and allows the announcer to fit nicely in the mix.

JM

#468950 - 04/21/19 02:15 AM Re: Capt Russ Product Production & Music Video [Re: Dnj]
Bernie9 Online   content

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
I think it also sets the mood for a pleasurable experience that negates the frustration that is sure to be present, to some degree, in the actual installation. I am sure that is the intent. Good choice.

Bernie

#468951 - 04/21/19 02:50 AM Re: Capt Russ Product Production & Music Video [Re: Dnj]
Nigel Offline
Admin

Loc: Ventura CA USA
Great job

#468952 - 04/21/19 03:15 AM Re: Capt Russ Product Production & Music Video [Re: Dnj]
The Saint Offline

Loc: Sydney Australia
Nice job Russ,

I "coulda" done that YYEEAAH !!

Smooth and non-intrusive but you know it is there.

Ray dance

#468958 - 04/21/19 08:13 AM Re: Capt Russ Product Production & Music Video [Re: Dnj]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
clap clap clap

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#468961 - 04/21/19 08:59 AM Re: Capt Russ Product Production & Music Video [Re: Dnj]
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
Great job! Makes sense why you’re always busy with production work.

#468973 - 04/21/19 06:21 PM Re: Capt Russ Product Production & Music Video [Re: Dnj]
montunoman Offline

Loc: Dallas, Texas
Yes, good work and I wish you continued success.

www.youtube.com/channel/UCV94i--V-A8kZShmGTKyDOw

https://www.facebook.com/elgrupocache

#468998 - 04/22/19 09:13 AM Re: Capt Russ Product Production & Music Video [Re: montunoman]
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Thanks, guys. This is one of the few projects the client has no problem with me sharing. I don't post much music because, as a stand alone, it's usually pretty boring. The track can't get in the way, but, as was the case here, there were several sizable holes to fill when there was no voice-over.

This is a rock bottom (read low-cost) production. Total time: 2 days, including a 7 hour each way drive to Atlanta.

I story boarded the video and wrote the script to the story board on the way to Atlanta. Then, after shooting raw footage and finding out that the tight area made the first film concept impossible to pull off, we quickly altered the story board; shot the footage, returned to Lexington and recorded the voice-over to get exact timing. That's much more demanding than simply using fades. The head was exactly 16 seconds. The body was exactly 3 min 14 seconds. There was an abrupt lead instrument change at the wrap-up, which had to be exact.

After a rough edit, I spent 45 minutes on my old Ketron MS 60 writing the intro, bridge, chorus and end segment. In the studio, I set a click track to 94 and recorded piano backing on the old Ketron (electric piano setting). I then went back and recorded the simple lead line on the six separate sections. Vibes and piano were from the Ketrom (actually, it is a 1994 Solton). The other 5 voices came from presets on a Roland
Lucina AX09 synth. My son, who is the bass player in our jazz trio, as well as my IT guy, social media manager for many clients, video editor and sound engineer, then put down the bass. We were at a home studio owned by the drummer from my son's fusion group, and he wanted to participate, so he added the drum track. On a bottom end, fast job like this, I usually do drums and bass, but, including the voice-over talent and studio time, total out of pocked was $325.00, not including the trip to Atlanta...$650.00. The project billed out at nearly $10,000.00 ($3500 for the track) and the client, a large, old Italian manufacturer, LOVES IT!

We have developed a one day production, usually used for immediate electronic publicity releases, which involves up to 15 minutes of finished product and a score for $1,000.00. That is all table-top photography, one voice and no animation.

We do at least 4 of these low end projects a month (the $10,000 one), and I do copy continuity and music production on 2 or three much larger national productions (think vehicle manufacturers, world-wide shipping companies, etc.) which take an average of thirty straight hour sessions under almost impossible deadlines. Talk about pressure. In one case, failure to have an approved product recall video posted results in a $50,000.00 a day fine. Add to that constant changes driven by arguments between plant managers, accountants, lawyers and the advertising agency and you begin to get an idea of the level of intensity. These are $50,000 up 15 minute finished productions.
Our film production unit bills out over $2,500,000.00 annually.

I wouldn't have it any other way. With all but the national stuff, I control everything from strategic overall planning to project management to writing, playing, arranging, research, packaging, all collateral (brochures, catalogs, social media, etc.).

If I had to choose between music, film, copy, art and research/academic work, I couldn't. I like all elements equally well. That's why, with no time to really get good on anything, I have to be happy with the half-assed skills I have. Plus, if I played jazz the way I want to, I'd starve, and "I ain't into that".

Thanks for letting me rant and rave. This may make what I do a little clearer. And thanks to Donny for posting the piece. HEY, it's a 7 year old computer. I'm saving up for a new one (LOL)!

Be well, all,

R.

#468999 - 04/22/19 09:47 AM Re: Capt Russ Product Production & Music Video [Re: captain Russ]
jingleman Offline

Loc: The Villages, FL, USA
Russ: you certainly are a blessed musician/producer to have tapped into such a lucrative market...especially in this day and age. When I was more active in that line of work...budgets were shrinking and small groups were peckin’ away at the available work.

Congratulations and continued success!
JM

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online