SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#468278 - 04/06/19 01:01 PM Re: Organ Drawbars Mystery Revealed..... [Re: lahawk]
Bill Lewis Offline

Loc: Bluffton/Hilton Head SC USA
Originally Posted By lahawk
Wow good video find Donny, Hammond still holds as the king. As a kid I remember helping my dad lug a B-3 to various playing jobs. Not fun, but still good memories.

Moved mine too many times to count. And on 1 nighters too. But always covered and on Roll or Karis so it was in great shape when I let it go to a church. Oh how i wish we had some of the great keyboards out now back then. And PA equipment.

Let me start a discussion. I think the only reason to use a real Hammond is looks on stage. I would use one of the new clone wheels, maybe in a portable dummy B cabinet. Thoughts ???

#468280 - 04/06/19 01:50 PM Re: Organ Drawbars Mystery Revealed..... [Re: Dnj]
Bernie9 Offline

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
As much as I love the B3, I, also have mixed memories due to it's bulk and weight, saying nothing of a 122R leslie. I think it insane to do it again when there are so many clones that come pretty close. Yes, I know there is nothing like the real thing(to you). Now, it comes down to a compromise. I am as picky as the next guy, but what I listen to first is the Leslie effect. My old Roland BK-9 and present Hammond SK1 do it very well. If I attach my Ventilator, it is even better, but not by much. My Nord was good in that department also. To me, it is the interaction of the drum and horns ramping up at different speeds.

Aside from the leslie effect, there are the waterfall keys and overall action of the keybed. I would have to settle for somewhat less in that area, as the real B3 takes it, but at what cost, keeping in mind that the overwhelming percent of the audience wouldn't know the difference.

#468281 - 04/06/19 02:06 PM Re: Organ Drawbars Mystery Revealed..... [Re: Dnj]
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
"AIN'T NOTHING LIKE THE REAL THING, BA-BY". If schlephing (sp) it around and maintenance is not in the picture, for me it's a no-brainer. I've had four different 'clonewheels', all with dual manuals and drawbars, and none even come close as far as the experience of playing a well maintained B3/C3 w/122. Sound-wise, some come very close. If I were gigging today and had to do my own moving and transporting, it would definitely be a clonewheel, most likely a Legend or Legend Live (or maybe an XK5 if I could afford it). I currently play a KeyB MkIII and can't see enough of a difference between it and the new Legend to justify an upgrade. Although I have a Leslie 3300, I play it through powered 15" EV monitors. The built in Sim would fool most people and I get more power and better sound dispersion with the monitors. Just my opinion though. YMMV.

chas

#468282 - 04/06/19 02:08 PM Re: Organ Drawbars Mystery Revealed..... [Re: Dnj]
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
I didn't see Bernie's post before I posted. Looks like we feel pretty much the same way.

chas

#468286 - 04/06/19 03:19 PM Re: Organ Drawbars Mystery Revealed..... [Re: cgiles]
Dnj Offline

In one word playing the real thing is GUTS plain and simple that's what a real Hammond gives you, ..... Ok so back to OP drawbars, ... and how to learn how to use them correctly, ...
Certainly an art in itself to get the right sound and when & how to use them which many don't...

Edited by Dnj (04/06/19 03:21 PM)

#468325 - 04/07/19 08:15 AM Re: Organ Drawbars Mystery Revealed..... [Re: Dnj]
Bill Lewis Offline

Loc: Bluffton/Hilton Head SC USA
You can learn a lot watching Gospel players. They use everything on the organ to the max. Chorus, Leslie Fast/Sow, Drawbars and Dynamics. A lot play "reverse" with LH on Upper and RH on lower.
I love that stuff and would wish I could play as expressive as they do.

#468388 - 04/08/19 07:32 AM Re: Organ Drawbars Mystery Revealed..... [Re: Dnj]
Dnj Offline

#468407 - 04/08/19 12:14 PM Re: Organ Drawbars Mystery Revealed..... [Re: Dnj]
Terrysutt Offline

Loc: United Kingdom
Still no verse (remember my first post to this forum/).

#468408 - 04/08/19 12:20 PM Re: Organ Drawbars Mystery Revealed..... [Re: Dnj]
lahawk Offline

Loc: Lehigh Valley, Pa.
A 10 year old video, but quite the Hammond studio setup.

Hawk Music
Sadly No More frown

♫ 🎹🎹 ♫ SX-900

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online