SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#467915 - 03/27/19 07:15 PM Re: Guitar players ... check it out [Re: Uncle Dave]
jingleman Offline

Loc: The Villages, FL, USA
Dave...you’re right. That Taylor looks amazing. Are you using the voice live 3 for guitar and vocal effects at the same time?

Great setup!
jingleman

#467918 - 03/28/19 12:14 AM Re: Guitar players ... check it out [Re: Uncle Dave]
Nigel Offline
Admin

Loc: Ventura CA USA
Beautiful Taylor Dave

#467922 - 03/28/19 05:19 AM Re: Guitar players ... check it out [Re: Uncle Dave]
bruno123 Online   content

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
Dave, how good is the Taylor T5Z. I know they have different models of the TZ line. I value your opinion, which one would you recommend?

John C.

Being humble is the beginning of WISDOM. Nice Dave.
“Everyone, and everything I listen to is my teacher”

#467931 - 03/28/19 07:59 AM Re: Guitar players ... check it out [Re: Uncle Dave]
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Let's talk Taylor. First, the model I have is the T5z ... it's a smaller body than the original T5, and a more curved neck, but the electronics are the same. If you play more acoustic guitar, you may prefer the flatter neck of the T5, but the T5z has a few advantages for the electric player who occasionally wants an acoustic sound ... like me. The "z" has a shorter scale, so bending strings is a tad easier, and it's a bit more comfortable to hold in long sessions, or sets, and it fits in a standard electric gig-bag, so it takes up less real estate in your car, and on stage.

I really love the active electronics. I have several electric/acoustic options in my arsenal, but this one is the most comfortable fit for my current shows for several reasons, which I'll list here.
1) Smaller body
2) Thin, and lightweight
3) No visible neck pickup to impede my clumsy picking. (always hated where that neck pickup sits on Strats - I hit it all the time with my pick)
4) Ability to go from Acoustic, to Jazzbox, to Surf, and even Shredder (not me) with ease.
5) Single coil-like sound with no hum

My best acoustic is a Taylor 714CE ... and even though it's slightly smaller than a dreadnaught ... it feels HUGE after holding the T5z.
My most versatile axe is the Godin Montreal Triple Play - piezzo, humbuckers, and wireless midi out - studio dream machine.
My workhorse, backup is a Frankenstrat that I built with Fender noiseless pups, and an L.R.Baggs acoustic bridge saddle pickup.
... All three of these are feeling a bit lonely sine the Taylor came into my life. They all have their own particular strengths, and sounds, but the T5z is my "go-to" these days. When I have my PA4x on stage, I can comfortably pick up the guitar, and not readjust my standing position at the KB, as it's not that deep. I can leave the guitar on, and hit some KB chords, or tweak the harmonizer while holding the guitar. I love that.

It's also very well balanced - it just hangs nicely on the strap. It ships with Elixir 11's with a plain .018 G string (yuk), but since I have a death grip that squeezes plain G strings out of tune, I use the D-Addario EX115W set - this gives me similar tension with a wound G (.021)

This video helped sell me on the T5z ... check it out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yZ2V5p9X09w

#467932 - 03/28/19 08:00 AM Re: Guitar players ... check it out [Re: jingleman]
Uncle Dave Offline

Originally Posted By jingleman
Dave...you’re right. That Taylor looks amazing. Are you using the voice live 3 for guitar and vocal effects at the same time?

Great setup!
jingleman

I use that VL3 for voice FX, gtr FX, looping, and mixing my tracks as a main PA. It's an amazing unit.

#467933 - 03/28/19 08:03 AM Re: Guitar players ... check it out [Re: bruno123]
Uncle Dave Offline

Originally Posted By bruno123
Dave, how good is the Taylor T5Z. I know they have different models of the TZ line. I value your opinion, which one would you recommend?

John C.

Being humble is the beginning of WISDOM. Nice Dave.
“Everyone, and everything I listen to is my teacher”

Hi John, Here's a sample I made a few months ago when I just got the "Z"

https://www.facebook.com/boydsongs/video...=user_video_tab

#467940 - 03/28/19 09:39 AM Re: Guitar players ... check it out [Re: Uncle Dave]
Dnj Offline

I would love to hear what Capt Russ says about the t5z...?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online