SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#467837 - 03/25/19 02:47 PM Re: Music, arrangers, and more? [Re: travlin'easy]
sparky589 Offline

Loc: NJ
Nice Tony. I have no patience for that..I can't even paint my living room.

#467838 - 03/25/19 03:09 PM Re: Music, arrangers, and more? [Re: sparky589]
captain Russ Online   content

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
I am into copy, graphics, music, recording film production, statistics...all things I do for a living, but would do for nothing.

Life is good!

R.

#467839 - 03/25/19 03:31 PM Re: Music, arrangers, and more? [Re: captain Russ]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Thanks, guys .. I really enjoy it, but our art teacher retired last year and I haven't done anything since. ... I really have to get back to it ...
Interestingly, I was looking through a cruise travel mag recently and saw a photo of that Quebec City location in the mag ... almost identical photo, just taken from a slightly different angle ...
Lydia has done some really nice work also, and our house is filled with our art - if nothing else, it saves on wall decorations ... smile

Don, I've often thought of getting one of those paint by number sets and changing the numbers of the colors just to see how it would come out wink ...

Nice words, Gary, thank you

sparky, try it .. it is very relaxing ... and as my art teacher once told me - "It's your art, it can't be wrong"

#467843 - 03/25/19 06:22 PM Re: Music, arrangers, and more? [Re: Bachus]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
I'm still trying to play golf. Also enjoy fishing. Have a 19 foot bass boat and a trillion dollars worth of gear. Hard to say which sport is more expensive. smile

#467844 - 03/25/19 06:48 PM Re: Music, arrangers, and more? [Re: Bachus]
Mikem Offline

Loc: Quebec, Canada
Tony, I'm very impressed with your art! Like Gary said, you are incredibly talented. Keep up the good work! smile

P.S. I've been to every one of those places, except your garden! Italy is so beautiful it inspires art! smile

Edited by Mikem (03/25/19 06:50 PM)

#467845 - 03/25/19 08:17 PM Re: Music, arrangers, and more? [Re: Bachus]
Riceroni9 Offline

Loc: TX, USA
Nice work, Tony:

Acrylic or Oil? Hard to tell on a computer screen. You have an eye for perspective and proportions. Do you ever wander over into the surrealistic side of art? Today's art collectors seem to be more into that medium... but do what pleases you most. Then there is portraiture... which can be the most rewarding... in so many ways if one possesses "the knack."

My college career began in art, migrated to commercial art, took a left turn into business... and suddenly, total misdirection and disinterest on a broad front. Next summer... Sailor Suit and four years in Naval Aviation. Went back to University after my career was nearly over and graduated with honors. Funny what a little experience and maturity can do to one's perspective on study. Majored in Management and History.

Automation systems design and product enhancement to enable automation were my specialties. Managed the Automation Division of a Fortune 500 Company and saw the world. Took up golf and played joyfully until no longer able to safely grip and swing a club. Now, it's song-writing, recording and playing chess. My appreciation for art has never waned but I can only do what my inner being demands. I enjoy writing short stories but that gets in the way of music. Used to fly mostly single engine aircraft but doubt I could pass a physical now. Once owned a Piper Tri-Pacer but most of my time was in Cessna 172's and 180's plus a Beech Bonanza.

Being a jack-of-all trades is not a good thing. Thanks for sharing, Tony. You are a "master of two rewarding "art-forms."

#467846 - 03/25/19 09:09 PM Re: Music, arrangers, and more? [Re: Riceroni9]
ekurburski Offline

Loc: Mountain Home, AR
Man am I a bore! Never got into art. Poor eyesight with color blindness doesn't help. Don't do golf. Had a good friend try real hard to get mr interested but I could never find the ball. I'm not into hunting or fishing. Shame as fishing is big in Mountain Home, Arkansas. I've gotten into college in the past. Like to read. Bought a used set of Great books of Western Civilization and working my way through the classics. Am animated about politics but loosing interest as it seems no one really cares what one old man radical thinks. Of course I enjoy my keyboards, recording, playing and keeping up with the forums.

#467851 - 03/26/19 05:55 AM Re: Music, arrangers, and more? [Re: Bachus]
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
I think it is more common then most folks think.... that a person with music skills also has art skills.

Myself , I was into art (pencil drawings, and pastel colors). My mother was an excellent artist, and I learned from her work.. She started to draw in her early teens and I did the same.. She was way better than I smile
I also excelled in graphic arts (School). After high school I was offered a job drawing Bond bread labels (design). It did not pay much and was a bit boring... so I turned it down.

I also was offered a job with Bell Tele as a graphic art position.. It was interesting but paid a third of what I made in my summer job (sheet rocking).

I decided to continue education in music.

And forever balanced my music work and construction (contractor) for nearly 60 years.

If I can dig up some of my art from my early teens I will post it.

#467856 - 03/26/19 09:21 AM Re: Music, arrangers, and more? [Re: Mikem]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Originally Posted By Mikem
Tony, I'm very impressed with your art! Like Gary said, you are incredibly talented. Keep up the good work! smile
P.S. I've been to every one of those places, except your garden! Italy is so beautiful it inspires art! smile

Mike, thank you very much ... nice to hear that you have been to those places ... Yes, Italy IS beautiful, and those of us who have been there are very fortunate ... It was most amazing to me to be standing on a bridge built by one of the 'Caesars' at the beginning of modern time ... it helps me realize how young the USA is is when I see an historic building that goes "all the way back" to the mid 1600's, when some of the buildings in Rome were built in double digit years ! ...
As you live in Quebec, do you happen to know the address of the building I painted? I never documented it.

Originally Posted By Riceroni9
Nice work, Tony:
Acrylic or Oil? Hard to tell on a computer screen. You have an eye for perspective and proportions. Do you ever wander over into the surrealistic side of art? Today's art collectors seem to be more into that medium... but do what pleases you most. Then there is portraiture... which can be the most rewarding... in so many ways if one possesses "the knack."

Thank you, Dave ... Both Acrylic and oils ... acrylic is good for its fast drying factor, but oils allow for more texturing and, mixing of colors right on the canvas as the paint dries ... No, I've not tried surrealism ... I'm more of a 'take the photo, paint the picture' guy ... I think taking the photo helps because I have the real image in my mind as I'm painting ...
Portraiture is a whole other world - trying to capture the personality of the person on canvas ... We had one woman in our art class who wanted to do a portrait of her grandson ... the art teacher had her first work on drawing each component of the child's face individually - eyes, nose, ears, mouth, until the woman was comfortable enough to start putting it on canvas ... the finished product was beautiful ...
Water color is another medium I have not been too successful in ... My sister-in-law does beautiful water color paintings, mine always seem to have a 'grade school' look to them, and that could be an insult to grade schoolers grin

And being a "jack of all trades" can be very rewarding ...

Originally Posted By Fran Carango
I think it is more common then most folks think.... that a person with music skills also has art skills.

Myself , I was into art (pencil drawings, and pastel colors). My mother was an excellent artist, and I learned from her work.. She started to draw in her early teens and I did the same.. She was way better than I smile

If I can dig up some of my art from my early teens I will post it.

That's very true, Fran ... Besides the obvious 'professionals' that are excellent at both (Tony Bennett first comes to mind), I know a few musicians whose art work is also very good ...

I 'dabbled' in pencil drawings in my teens as well, but don't have any now ... would love to see some of yours ...

#467857 - 03/26/19 09:52 AM Re: Music, arrangers, and more? [Re: Bachus]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
My wife and daughter are both incredible artists, oils, acrylic, water color, colored pencil. The only time I painted was when I was bed ridden and recovering from back surgery. I'll try to photograph some of them, and hopefully, they will come out OK because they are framed and behind glass. I don't want to try and remove them from the frames for fear of damage.

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online