SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#467681 - 03/20/19 05:40 AM Can I add a "Resonator Guitar" to my 970?
Riceroni9 Offline

Loc: TX, USA
A friend recorded several chords in both WAV and MP3 format and sent them to me. How (or is it even possible) to select one or two and use them as instruments on a Yamaha PSR-S970? I think I read MIDI is somehow involved and I never use MIDI. Anybody have ideas or solutions? I need country songs to sound more "country!"

That would probably lead to style creation... if it can be done easily by a Klutz like me... but that is another topic.

#467682 - 03/20/19 07:44 AM Re: Can I add a "Resonator Guitar" to my 970? [Re: Riceroni9]
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Dave I am pretty sure the 970 isn't going to help you..

You could play against the wave file in real time with the 970.

Maybe you could stripe the wave file with midi time code and sync with the 970..

A company like Ketron has the ability to use sample loops via the device (SD1000).. it accepts program change and midi data to control the loops.

A company like Roland has audio keys (BK9) that will play the files in sync with a style.

My advice look for another alternative... Maybe DonM will record some styles for you smile

If the 970 can record audio as pads... this may be your best solution..

#467683 - 03/20/19 07:47 AM Re: Can I add a "Resonator Guitar" to my 970? [Re: Riceroni9]
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
As far as I understand sampling, you need to sample just a single note. You can later play back that sound with multiple polyphony, use it in your arranger tracks, etc.
Personally, I've never needed any sounds that weren't available organically, but in other parts of the world, sampling is paramount to getting the "right" sound for your style of play. I hope you find "your" sound.

#467684 - 03/20/19 08:01 AM Re: Can I add a "Resonator Guitar" to my 970? [Re: Uncle Dave]
Dnj Offline

Dave I have a question for you, in no way have I attempted to write although many times I have original songs in my head,:......
that said with all the hundreds of songs you wrote are they all recorded somehow? or, just written on paper etc?..
reason I ask is if not recorded how does someone remember them all
& how they sound? Are they all copyrighted & how do you know if anyone else has written something similar?

confused1

Edited by Dnj (03/20/19 08:15 AM)

#467688 - 03/20/19 09:13 AM Re: Can I add a "Resonator Guitar" to my 970? [Re: Riceroni9]
Riceroni9 Offline

Hi Donny: (Thanks to all of you for responding... but I'll answer Donny's question first.)

I write the chords for the melody down... or make a note of a "Title" that may suddenly appear in my feeble brain... or actually sit down and write out the lyrical idea. If I don't write any one of these things down, it will disappear into the fog.

Once it has been "fleshed out" as much as I can do by "roughing it out" on the keyboard, I do my best to find a style that seems to fit it best. Then I modify that style to get it as close to the tempo, genre, mood, etc. and that "set-up time" can take almost as long as it does to eventually record the whole schmeer.

I type the song (lyrics, chords, intro, breaks and outro) into a word processor, save it and print out a work copy which also includes a Keyboard Set-up Page denoting exactly which instrument I used into which of the eight tracks it is assigned on the Keyboard, etc. I take the printed copy to the keyboard and make a first take without recording. I check for phrasing, the best key for recording (I wake up with a different voice every morning) and other elements, like deciding the best intro, break and outro to use... or to ignore completely.

After several practice runs, I turn on the digital recorder and make a first cut. I seldom hit a home run on the first attempt. I could use the recording ability of the Arranger but I usually have to adjust the volume on each "track" of the KB so I do my best to save time and, after adjusting things, re-record the whole song over again. Think of the practice I get that way... LOL! Ninety percent of the song-takes I scrap are due to my lack of singing ability... so, I punish myself until I either get it right... or call it a day.

The song is recorded only onto one track because the arranger's eight tracks are already adjusted to the song's needs. In essence, I am recording "live." (Vocal and melody in one shot.)

Once the song sounds good to me, I convert the WAV file (after saving it to my PC) to an MP3 after doing some serious editing on my computer. Most of these are volume edits and I sometimes have to increase the volume on the intro, break and outro to make it sound as "commercial" (like the big studios) as I can.

As you probably know, Titles cannot be copyrighted. I have a pretty extensive knowledge of songs that have been written and recorded, then "covered" by other artists. Most songwriters are influenced by the work of others but I would never intentionally take something someone else has written... and/or recorded. Thankfully, I don't have to worry about RAP or Hip-Hop 'cause I don't write in those "genres."

If I am impressed enough by someone's song, I can apply to do a "cover" of it if I intend to put it on an album. It is a compulsory process but I will have to pay them one way or another. I don't do many "covers" 'cause it waters down the potential of making money during the long haul.

I keep a database of all my songs and assign each one a number... and, if there is a co-writer involved, I put all of that into the database as well. It is a time consuming and for me, a pretty thankless task, but that's just part of my obsessive mental make-up. I got started very late in life with music and recording and generally learn something new every week. Technology forces change these days.

The big recording stars who write and sing have "people" to do all this stuff for them. I am the CEO, artist, writer, dishwasher and jack-of-all trades. My success is the stuff of Non-Legends. LOL! Of the 1000+ songs written and recorded, I would guess that fewer than 20% are worthy of some big artist's attention. For me, it has become a hobby. Fewer than half of my songs are registered with ASCAP.

Sorry for the long-winded run-on... but you asked and I would rather provide you with more information than not enough. Believe it or not, I have probably left out a few minor details... but song-writing is a serious business.

The difference between me and you real performers... all I have to do is get one good cut on a song. You guys have to do it every time you perform. You are my heroes!

Thanks for all your responses, U.D. and Fran.

----West Mayberry Dave

#467696 - 03/20/19 09:57 AM Re: Can I add a "Resonator Guitar" to my 970? [Re: Riceroni9]
salsaman Offline

Loc: Port Angeles, WA., USA
Yes you can.... You will maybe have to remove the keyboard keybed assembly from the PSR S970 to get the resonator guitar to fit inside the case of the 970. Noting is impossible it just takes a little longer.

Please excuse my sense of humor.

By the way.... The difference between "humor" and "odor" is; "humor" is a shift of whit.

#467697 - 03/20/19 10:00 AM Re: Can I add a "Resonator Guitar" to my 970? [Re: Riceroni9]
Dnj Offline

Dave thanx for the informative reply. how many songs have been published so far?
I guess you answered most of my inquires in detail.
Good luck with your music.

Edited by Dnj (03/20/19 10:01 AM)

#467698 - 03/20/19 10:01 AM Re: Can I add a "Resonator Guitar" to my 970? [Re: Riceroni9]
Eric, B Offline

Loc: Ventura, Ca, USA
Here are a couple of examples of the Genos Resonator Guitar

Eric

#467700 - 03/20/19 10:25 AM Re: Can I add a "Resonator Guitar" to my 970? [Re: Riceroni9]
Riceroni9 Offline

Now that I know the difference between Humor and Odor... I'll do my best to pick my tired old frame off the floor and quit laughing. Thanks, SalsaMan... I needed that.

Donny: Published (without checking the actual ASCAP website... 456 Songs) Written and recorded as of yesterday, 1013 not including instrumentals or a few "covers."

Eric: Thanks for posting those Genos Resonator examples. There is hope after all. Genos styles will play on my 970. I'll do some searching.

All the best, ----Dave

#467730 - 03/20/19 09:17 PM Re: Can I add a "Resonator Guitar" to my 970? [Re: Uncle Dave]
Nigel Offline
Admin

Loc: Ventura CA USA
Originally Posted By Uncle Dave
As far as I understand sampling, you need to sample just a single note.

Nope 1 sample will never cut it. Even 1 sample for each octave is a stretch. Keyboards like the Korg Kronos pianos use 1 sample for every note to approach realism.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online