SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#467541 - 03/16/19 01:08 PM Song Specific Styles
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
One of the big benefits of using a Yamaha Arranger Keyboard is the huge support forum PSR-Tutorial, of which I have been a moderator for nearly two decades.

Not only does the forum provide answers to difficult Yamaha specific related questions and solution to tough problems, members also have access to thousands upon thousands of song specific styles, many of which range from good to excellent in quality. While most song specific styles are modified versions of onboard styles, there are a huge number of them that were created from scratch by forum members who really dig into the technical aspects of creating a high quality, song-specific, style file.

Thanks to my good friend and fellow PSR Tutorial forum moderator, Roger, for creating and posting an excellent, song specific style file for this old Bob Seger song, Against The Wind.

During an interview on WWFX, "100 FM The Pike", Bob Seger said that "Against the Wind" came about from his days as a high-school cross country runner. The line "Let the cowboys ride!" towards the song's end is a reference to the closing lyrics of the song "Santa Fe/Beautiful Obsession" by Van Morrison.

Seger later said that the line "Wish I didn't know now what I didn't know then" bothered him for a while, but that everyone he knew loved it, so he left it in. He also said that it has since appeared in several other hits by other artists, so that proved it was an acceptable lyric.

Music critic Maury Dean described the theme as being about aging and dealing with "all the burdens we'll ever have to face. I can relate this part of the song, as I will hit 79 years old this coming October, if I make it that far. (fingers crossed) smile I'm somewhat optimistic in this respect, mainly because I had the boat put in the water yesterday and hope to put the sails on by Tuesday. I would put them on Monday, but the damned forecast is calling for light snow Monday morning. Sure tired of winter! mad

Here's my rendition of Against The Wind using the style that Roger created.

Gary 8)

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#467542 - 03/16/19 01:22 PM Re: Song Specific Styles [Re: travlin'easy]
Dnj Offline

Is there a link to the song specific style files?

and good job on Against the Wing too.. clap

Edited by Dnj (03/16/19 03:30 PM)

#467544 - 03/16/19 01:42 PM Re: Song Specific Styles [Re: travlin'easy]
travlin'easy Offline

There is no separate area on the forum where they are stored, however, if you have need a a style for a specific song, just log onto the forum, click the styles tab and request the a style for that song. Usually, with an hour or two, someone will provide you with a song specific style, which usually includes the correct intro and ending.

I'll email you a bunch that I have on my USB drive if you have not already downloaded it.

Gary cool

#467545 - 03/16/19 01:49 PM Re: Song Specific Styles [Re: travlin'easy]
Dnj Offline

Thank you Gary

#467546 - 03/16/19 02:15 PM Re: Song Specific Styles [Re: travlin'easy]
bruno123 Online   content

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
Gary, because of what I learned from you and the Yamaha forum, I am song-naming my styles. I had been naming then according to style types. When I set up my S975 it was pretty easy – no search through all the styles.

The user styles in my Korg are being filled the same way.

I enjoyed listening to Against the Wind, ya still right on key, nice.

Peace to my friend, John C.

#467550 - 03/16/19 04:21 PM Re: Song Specific Styles [Re: travlin'easy]
travlin'easy Offline

Thanks John, glad I was able to help.

All the best,

Gary cool

#467552 - 03/16/19 04:51 PM Re: Song Specific Styles [Re: travlin'easy]
travlin'easy Offline

The attached zip folder contains many of the song specific styles I have on my USB drive. These are Yamaha styles, and they will play in any Yamaha arranger keyboard since the creation of the PSR-3000.

Have fun with them,

Gary cool

Attachments
Song Specific Styles Yamaha.zip (78 downloads)

#467554 - 03/16/19 05:25 PM Re: Song Specific Styles [Re: travlin'easy]
Dnj Offline

Thank you for that Mr Wizard!

#467555 - 03/16/19 07:54 PM Re: Song Specific Styles [Re: travlin'easy]
Riceroni9 Offline

Loc: TX, USA
Just goes to show you, Gary:

Nice work... and proof of the pudding. That song was a killer during it's time... and you are right, that phrase was "borrowed"" on many a song afterward. You still "have it" my friend... and your participation at the PSR Forum is so very important. Yamaha should put you "on retainer"... and I mean that in the sincerest way.

#467556 - 03/16/19 08:19 PM Re: Song Specific Styles [Re: travlin'easy]
travlin'easy Offline

Donny, I think you will have a lot of fun with these styles, and I would love to hear you posting more songs on this forum.

Dave, I'm doing my best with what little time I have left on planet Earth. I have always strived to help as many people as I could, even when I was quite young. I kinda doubt that Yamaha will put me on a retainer, though, but it would be a big boost to my sailing kitty. wink

All the best,

Gary cool

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online