SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#467476 - 03/14/19 01:33 AM Re: Don't lose that gig [Re: tony mads usa]
Nigel Offline
Admin

Loc: Ventura CA USA
As for playing too loud there are many electric guitarists who push the volume level up but it is not just to play loud music. Tube guitar amplifiers take on a different sound quality when they are driven hard. Playing loud produces a very different sound quality. It is not about the volume level. Nowadays there is more development of smaller tube amplifiers to try and get that sound at lower volume levels.

#467477 - 03/14/19 02:52 AM Re: Don't lose that gig [Re: Nigel]
bruno123 Online   content

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
Whenever my band played R&R we put the volume up. Without the volume, and some distortion it was not rock.

A salesman from Gibson guitars brought a prototype of the first distortion pedal. When I asked him what is it supposed to do, he said it gives the effect of a broken speaker. Since I had ben trying to get a stronger clearer sound, I thought he was crazy.

John C.
Nigel, I thought that a distorted guitar sounded very much like a violin through a small amp. ?????

#467479 - 03/14/19 05:36 AM Re: Don't lose that gig [Re: bruno123]
Dnj Offline

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0013A0C0Y/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I have a box of these at the ready (Orange) for anything too loud including music, snoring, concerts, stadiums, race track,
target range, etc, etc, ... they really work great. problem solved.. headphone

Attachments
61RgcTcyLeL._SL1269_.jpg

Edited by Dnj (03/14/19 05:37 AM)

#467502 - 03/15/19 01:39 AM Re: Don't lose that gig [Re: bruno123]
Nigel Offline
Admin

Loc: Ventura CA USA
Originally Posted By bruno123
Whenever my band played R&R we put the volume up. Without the volume, and some distortion it was not rock.

A salesman from Gibson guitars brought a prototype of the first distortion pedal. When I asked him what is it supposed to do, he said it gives the effect of a broken speaker. Since I had ben trying to get a stronger clearer sound, I thought he was crazy.

John C.
Nigel, I thought that a distorted guitar sounded very much like a violin through a small amp. ?????

He was crazy. A distorted guitar is nothing like a broken speaker. He didn't have a clue. Tube distortion is totally different. Nothing to do with broken speakers. He obviously wasn't a guitarist. And it is nothing like a violin through a small amp. Only a non guitar player would say that.

#467505 - 03/15/19 05:25 AM Re: Don't lose that gig [Re: Nigel]
bruno123 Online   content

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
Or possibly a guitarist who has spent his life playing D’Angelico and D’Aquesto guitars. A different type of music.

The remark, “sound like a broken speaker” was on the very beginning of a distortion guitar sound, few had ever heard the sound of a distortion guitar. At that time a Fender was looked upon as a toy guitar.

Nigel, these remarks were made many, many years ago. I own three distortion pedals and a compression and a delay pedal – times have changed.
John C.

#467522 - 03/15/19 02:32 PM Re: Don't lose that gig [Re: Dnj]
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY

HEY! Maybe we can play "SORRY?"

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online