SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#467220 - 03/08/19 08:38 AM Re: Is the best RnR album of all time? [Re: DonM]
montunoman Offline

Loc: Dallas, Texas
I've seen references to JLL, "Live at the Star Club" as among the best R&R album of all time, but never checked it out. I have some "down time" now since the students got out a day early for Spring Break, so I'm going listen to the album in it's entirety. Thanks for posting this!

www.youtube.com/channel/UCV94i--V-A8kZShmGTKyDOw

https://www.facebook.com/elgrupocache

#467221 - 03/08/19 08:39 AM Re: Is the best RnR album of all time? [Re: DonM]
montunoman Offline

Loc: Dallas, Texas
I've seen references to JLL, "Live at the Star Club" as among the best R&R album of all time, but never checked it out. I have some "down time" now since the students got out a day early for Spring Break, so I'm going listen to the album in it's entirety. Thanks for posting this!

www.youtube.com/channel/UCV94i--V-A8kZShmGTKyDOw

https://www.facebook.com/elgrupocache

#467256 - 03/08/19 04:08 PM Re: Is the best RnR album of all time? [Re: montunoman]
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
I can tell you first hand that playing bass with Lewis was a real challenge. It was "catch up", not set the pace.

I played with him in the early 60's (2 trips thru Lexington), and thought he wouldn't live another 5 years.

Russ (wrong again) Lay

#467264 - 03/08/19 10:18 PM Re: Is the best RnR album of all time? [Re: bruno123]
Mark79100 Offline

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By bruno123
What made Jerry Lee Lewis great, his ability to play piano? No, there are many piano players who would make his skills sound like a beginner.

John...I would have to differ with you there (but I get the point you are making). But Jerry Lee WAS the piano. You couldn't tell where he ended and the piano began. It was like an appendage to him. He found his niche with that instrument and carried the ball all the way to the goal line (and the gold mine).

He was new, nobody ever did what he did with so much freedom. He was playing what was inside of him, and he used the piano to do it.

Yes....that's what I was trying to say myself...."absolutely no inhibitions to get in the way"

he had freedom, he did not care what anybody thought, he was going to do his thing. Oh, how I love it.

#467265 - 03/08/19 10:59 PM Re: Is the best RnR album of all time? [Re: captain Russ]
Mark79100 Offline

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By captain Russ

I played with him in the early 60's (2 trips thru Lexington), and thought he wouldn't live another 5 years.

Russ...my respect for you just went up another five notches. You actually PLAYED with him when he was at his peak? I'd be happy just to WATCH him play live on stage at 80! That man and his talents just plain fascinate me!

Mark

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online