SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 7 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Topic Options
#466967 - 03/04/19 08:57 PM Re: Senior residence AD problem...advice? [Re: travlin'easy]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Originally Posted By Uncle Dave

Again ... perception. No one can "fire" me, but me. The rooms I work, and the people writing checks are my clients, not my boss.

Originally Posted By travlin'easy
I agree, Dave. They are MY clients - not my employer. I am Self Employed, so the only person that can fire me is me. I've been self employed since 1975 and enjoyed every minute of it.

Semantics ... Call it what you want, perceive it how you want, but the person writing the check IS your boss ...
If you are working a steady 'gig' or 'job' at a club or NH or whatever and the owner/manager/activity director says "don't come in next week, I've hired someone else", or "I've decided not to use live music", who fired you? did you fire yourself?!?
Sure, you may quit or decide not to continue to play a certain venue, but is that "firing yourself" ?

We may be 'self employed', but we are employed only at the wish of another ...

#466970 - 03/05/19 12:37 AM Re: Senior residence AD problem...advice? [Re: tony mads usa]
bruno123 Online   content

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
Tony, I have you high on my list, after reading your post and calling what is, is, I’m putting you four notches higher.

I sat with a group of men talking about how they took time to select the right wife. It made them feel good, they were in charge. Then Mr. Reality said, Guys, you may feel god about being in a position to select and choose the right girl, but until SHE said yes, you didn’t have anything. We make things look like what we want them to look like to feel good about ourselves.

Just saying, John C.
PS, and as far as you go Dave, you have always been high on my list. I have read you every post. Nice!

#466971 - 03/05/19 01:58 AM Re: Senior residence AD problem...advice? [Re: bruno123]
tassiespirit Offline

Loc: Devonport, Tasmania, Australia
Originally Posted By bruno123

I sat with a group of men talking about how they took time to select the right wife. It made them feel good, they were in charge. Then Mr. Reality said, Guys, you may feel god about being in a position to select and choose the right girl, but until SHE said yes, you didn’t have anything. We make things look like what we want them to look like to feel good about ourselves.

Just saying, John C.

Another way to look at that is, a guy chases a girl til SHE catches Him!

Allan

#466974 - 03/05/19 05:31 AM Re: Senior residence AD problem...advice? [Re: tony mads usa]
Bill Lewis Offline

Loc: Bluffton/Hilton Head SC USA

Semantics ... Call it what you want, perceive it how you want, but the person writing the check IS your boss ...
If you are working a steady 'gig' or 'job' at a club or NH or whatever and the owner/manager/activity director says "don't come in next week, I've hired someone else", or "I've decided not to use live music", who fired you? did you fire yourself?!?
Sure, you may quit or decide not to continue to play a certain venue, but is that "firing yourself" ?

We may be 'self employed', but we are employed only at the wish of another ...

[/quote]

Tony LOL !!! I wrote almost the same thning last night and then deleted it afraid that some would misinterpret it. We musicians may think we are the boss but are effected by so others in so many ways. set up over there, turn down, play this, etc. etc.
Good friends of mine just scored a regulare two night gig in a new restaurant on Hilton Head. The owner put in her own sound system. They had to show up ond day at 11AM and she had some guy set the digital mixer for the system the way the owner wanted it. Then its locked !!! They come in, select the setup listed under their name and hit enter, thats it !!! No adjustments for crowd size or noise level etc. no control over their final sound into the room. They are pros and know what they are doing with their sound but are they their own bosses at this place.
Thanks a lot of parience and drive to be a musician.

#466977 - 03/05/19 08:20 AM Re: Senior residence AD problem...advice? [Re: Mark79100]
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
We are independent contractors... Smart musicians enter into a written contract, but verbal contracts are recognized by the law too.

You are obligated by your agreement... both parties..

#466978 - 03/05/19 08:39 AM Re: Senior residence AD problem...advice? [Re: tony mads usa]
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Originally Posted By tony mads usa
... the person writing the check IS your boss ...

SO not true. The relationship between two contracted parties is a delicate balance of respect, and service. Life, itself needs balance, and business is no different.
I provide a service, and clients pay for it. If they choose not to pay, then the balance is upset. The respect is lost, and something must be addressed. In all my years of of employment, I can count on one hand the times that I was on the loosing end of a bargain. There is no way to guarantee any job, no matter how sanctioned , or seemingly secure. Tenure, seniority, partnerships ... all can be dissolved. Huge businesses go bankrupt. CEOs get canned. As a sole proprietor, my job is more secure than any other ... because I have the best HR rep in the biz, and he's always got my back.
smile

#466979 - 03/05/19 09:19 AM Re: Senior residence AD problem...advice? [Re: Mark79100]
GlennT Offline

Loc: Medina, OH, USA
The senior home market has been a good thing, but it's a dying breed, as witnessed here by many excellent posts. No sense whipping a dead horse. What does make sense, to me at least, is... find and go to plan B. I'm starting a new thread titled "Booking Private Senior Events"

#466989 - 03/05/19 01:20 PM Re: Senior residence AD problem...advice? [Re: Uncle Dave]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Originally Posted By Uncle Dave
... the person writing the check IS your boss ...

SO not true. The relationship between two contracted parties is a delicate balance of respect, and service. Life, itself needs balance, and business is no different.
I provide a service, and clients pay for it. If they choose not to pay, then the balance is upset. The respect is lost, and something must be addressed. In all my years of of employment, I can count on one hand the times that I was on the loosing end of a bargain. There is no way to guarantee any job, no matter how sanctioned , or seemingly secure. Tenure, seniority, partnerships ... all can be dissolved. Huge businesses go bankrupt. CEOs get canned. As a sole proprietor, my job is more secure than any other ... because I have the best HR rep in the biz, and he's always got my back.
smile

Dave, Everything you said above is absolutely true, and i always respect your opinions
However, it does not dismiss my point that when someone tells me - for WHATEVER reason - that I am not working at that venue anymore, I have been FIRED. I did not fire myself, someone else fired me, and at that point, that person is the "boss" because I do not control that situation ... And it may not have anything to do with a lack of respect between the parties or anything else ...
Saying that no one can fire me but myself just isn't true IMHO (and perhaps the opinion of a few others on this board) ...
When I can hire MYSELF, and PAY myself, then I will truly be 'self-employed' and I will be the "boss" ... until then, we will have to agree to DISagree ...

#467071 - 03/06/19 09:07 AM Re: Senior residence AD problem...advice? [Re: tony mads usa]
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
...we will have to agree to DISagree ...

... and we shall leave it at that, my friend. No one ever said we all have to agree all the time.
smile

Page 7 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online