SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#46695 - 08/04/07 04:51 PM Software for Technics KN550
paradox Offline

Loc: Toronto, ON Canada
hi everyone.

i've had the Technics KN550 for a while now and just realized that it should be used rather than collecting dust. I was wondering if anyone out there knows if this keyboard can be connected to a computer. If so, what cables do I need and what program is available for XP Windows?

thanks!

#46696 - 08/07/07 04:41 PM Re: Software for Technics KN550
Audrey Turner Offline

Loc: Cambridge, Cambs, England
Re: KN550

I will try to answer your question. Many moons ago I had a KN650 and I know that it wouldn't connect to my PC as it wasn't built for it. In those days we used MIDI to connect to other instruments, audio etc., and believe me it was considered very 'up market' to own a keyboard with a MIDI connection.

I believe there are cables out now that will enable Parallel and USB machines/instruments to be connected (e.g. an old printer with a modern PC) but as I said, I cannot recall the KN650 having the necessary socket on it to enable you to do this, whereas of course, the KN7 has a USB socket built into it.

In view of this, I wouldn't think it can be done with your KN550. I could be wrong and I daresay you will get some more replies to your posting from people who do know the correct answer to your question.

Good luck!

Audrey

#46697 - 08/09/07 02:32 PM Re: Software for Technics KN550
paradox Offline

Thank you for your reply. I was hopeing I could of used it to connect to my computer or MPC. I don't see any USB sockets at the back of the keyboard. Maybe I can find those cables at a music store or something.

#46698 - 08/09/07 03:09 PM Re: Software for Technics KN550
bruno123 Online   content

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
Pardox,
This is not my area, but----
If you have midi “outs” an “ins” on your keyboard there is a connecting wire that has midi on one end and a different configuration at the other which allows you to plug into your computer in the same connection as you would if using a joy-stick.

To the best of my knowledge this connection deals only with midi data.

Hope this helps, john C.

#46699 - 08/15/07 02:49 AM Re: Software for Technics KN550
paradox Offline

thanks! I'll be sure to try and find those as well!

#46700 - 02/20/08 07:31 AM Re: Software for Technics KN550
Anonymous
Unregistered

I have same problem, we have technics KN550 in our school music class, and I want to get it connected to a computer.. I just want to get the music recorded to computer, and I'd be glad if I wouldn't need any midi cables and stuff. There are two holes for line out cables in the keyboard (L and R), and while I don't know much about keyboards, I'm asking if it's possible to record music from KN550 with those cables and windows XP or Vista computer. I hope someone wise there can help me..

#46701 - 02/20/08 12:30 PM Re: Software for Technics KN550
manorcourt1991 Offline

Loc: Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Audio out from the KN650 can be recorded using a cable to connect from the Line Out connectors on the KN to the Line In connector on your PC. This cable has two 6mm mono plugs at the keyboard end and a single 3.5mm stereo plug at the PC end.
MIDI connection to the the PC can be achieved using a USB to MIDI adapter or on older computers with a Game port to MIDI adapter.

Len

#46702 - 02/20/08 03:39 PM Re: Software for Technics KN550
Bill Norrie Offline

Loc: North Yorkshire UK
A procedure for recording from a Keyboard with only Audio outputs, to a PC, is described within a document on my website : http://www.willumspages.co.uk/page10.html Tip number 14. The document also includes the procedure for burning a CD from the recorded files.

After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is Music.
Aldous Huxley
( especially when the music is played on a KN7000....)

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online