keyboard.Among roland and korg keys, what would
you suggest? Are there better keyboards if we go
beyond just roland and korg?
Thanks in advance.
Cheers
Syam

#468 - 12/04/02 10:36 AM Re: Buying a keyboard
tekminus Offline

I think there's very little room for filthy fantasies like this in our christian community.

Thank You.

-tek

#469 - 12/04/02 11:51 AM Re: Buying a keyboard
Cloakboy Offline

Loc: Racine, Wisconsin USA
Tek, you really do give love a bad name.

#470 - 12/04/02 03:14 PM Re: Buying a keyboard
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Tek, what is wrong with you? Behavior problem? Fran {Christian]

#471 - 12/04/02 03:20 PM Re: Buying a keyboard
Fran Carango Offline

Syam, the Korg Triton series, Yamaha Motif, Roland Fantom and XV88, Kurz PC2..are all decent controller keyboards..The Fantom and Triton are decent sequencing models..They all sound good..Fran

#472 - 12/04/02 04:09 PM Re: Buying a keyboard
MRT1212 Offline

Loc: Foster City
cloakboy is money!

#473 - 12/04/02 10:47 PM Re: Buying a keyboard
syam Offline

Loc: chennai,Tamilnadu,India
Thanks a lot,Fran for the help. What do you think about Korg I3(for rupees equivalent to 1000$),N264 and N364, Roland XP60 and XP80? I got an offer to buy them second hand.Are they obsolete?Thanks in advance.
Syam

#474 - 12/05/02 08:31 AM Re: Buying a keyboard
tekminus Offline

Go for the XP-80 or a Waldorf Wave.

-tek

#475 - 12/05/02 08:58 AM Re: Buying a keyboard
Fran Carango Offline

Syam, the only model you listed worth $1000 is the XP80..The Korg i3 is an arranger keyboard, different than the others.. The only keyboards I would consider from that group are the XP60[61 keys] and the XP80[76 keys]..Fran

#476 - 12/05/02 01:29 PM Re: Buying a keyboard
Equalizer Offline

Loc: Scotland
Syam,
what kind of music are you hoping to make when you get this thing?

#477 - 12/06/02 09:18 PM Re: Buying a keyboard
syam Offline

Thanks a lot for the replies.
Equalizer, I'll be making pop sort of songs. I'll need sounds; strings, drumpads, flute(?)..
I have been playing guitar for eleven years, but am totally new to keyboards. Please consider that. Is it better for me to go for some low priced key now and later when i'm good at playing go for better keyboard considering that the prices may go down or i can get a better board for the money i spend now? Or is it better to buy a good controller keyboard now so that i can add sound modules etc? I don't know much about keys.
Syam

#478 - 12/07/02 03:32 AM Re: Buying a keyboard
Equalizer Offline

Loc: Scotland
Syam,
this is all rather spooky cos I also played the guitar for around 11 years before I got into keyboards/synth.

In answer to your question, I would strongly advise you to go for the controller keyboard route.

Why? Well, first of all it would be a more economical route. Not only are sound modules/racks cheaper than their full size keyboard equivalents, but with the pace of today's technology I think it's safe to say sound modules will soon become obsolete (as seems to have already happened with hardsamplers)!!! There are already some AMAZING software packages out right now which are well worth checking out!

If you go down the full size hard keyboard route, then no matter how much you love it now there's a chance (let's say) that in a few years time you might want to move onto something a little bit bigger and better. With the midi controller keyboard route, your gear can constantly expand and grow with you and you'll never be stuck with something you don't like.

For the kind of music you're making, I would seriously advise buying the best midi control keyboard you can find. If at all possible I would try and to get one with some assignable knobs are/or sliders so that I had as much control as possible over the sounds I was creating.

I would also invest as much as I could into making my computer as powerful as possible.

You said that you will be making pop music and mentioned a few types of sounds you were interested in.

Well... this is just a personal opinion and loads of people will disagree, but from what I've heard I think Roland are currently winning the battle for best string sounds and best piano sounds. I'm not sure about flute sounds (never done a head to head comparison with other brands) and for drum sounds I'd recommend using drum samples from the internet.

#479 - 12/07/02 08:07 PM Re: Buying a keyboard
syam Offline

Thanks a lot Equalizer for your time; for writing a detailed reply.Could you suggest a keyboard you have in mind? Preferably a Korg or Roland since that is what is easily available here.I'm from India.
Thanks again
Love
Syam

#480 - 12/30/02 12:23 AM Re: Buying a keyboard
keyskitten Offline

Loc: Dickinson, Texas, USA
Go ahead and get the XP 60 or 80, it is still a good board, although Roland has invented a new sounds set that supersedes this one (the XP's have the "JV" roland sounds) Roland has new set called "XV", the keyboards are the XV88 and the FANTOM, The 88 has 88 graded hammer action keys, while the FANTOM has 76 synth-action keys.

Expect to pay $2500 for the XV88 or $1800 for the FANTOM (this is in U.S. Dollars.)

Getting a XP80 for $1000 would be a good deal, but I agree with the other poster, it would be cheaper if you bought a good midi controller and sound modules than to invest in a keyboard, for example, you can "make" an XV 88 and get is cheaper by buying the following:

The XV-5050 Roland module $799 US dollar, the "FATAR" 88 key controller $599 US dollars. For total of just under $1400, you see you save almost $1000 and you have the exact same kind of keyboard and the exact same sounds.

With your interests I would stay away from Korg and stick to Roland, they have better sounds for pop and classical -- and by the way the FLUES are fantastic as are the clarinets and oboes too, and its very hard to hear *that* from a clarinet player such as myself!

Good luck!

#481 - 01/02/03 06:45 PM Re: Buying a keyboard
Anonymous
Unregistered

what about a supercharged Magnus?
(the cheese was rotten, quickly, please, where is the bathroom?)

Pondering this question....
What would be a good name for a fix a flat can made for male or female blow up dolls?
sorry,
MORPH!

The Motif6 is a very functional although not the friendliest to use.

[This message has been edited by Morphamatik (edited 01-13-2003).]

#482 - 01/07/03 11:50 PM Re: Buying a keyboard
syam Offline

Thanks Keyskitten for the detailed post. Thanks for the info on controller keyboard, soundmodule set up.
Syam

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online