Topic Options
#467261 - 03/08/19 07:16 PM Re: Booking Senior Events [Re: GlennT]
btweengigs Offline

Loc: Florida, USA
Steve... I am picturing you as "The Fonz" in the Villages. smile

#467262 - 03/08/19 07:43 PM Re: Booking Senior Events [Re: btweengigs]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Steve, I love you, bro ... but I don't have to see pics of people in shorts when I'm sitting in 25 degrees !!!
wink

#467263 - 03/08/19 10:07 PM Re: Booking Senior Events [Re: Bill Lewis]
Mark79100 Offline

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By Bill Lewis
Mark
I miss working with kids as a teacher. I had a lot of fun with them, especially the Middle schoolers. Maybe because mentally I'm 12 years old sometimes ! Its does keep you young.

Bill...I never thought about that...."being mentally 12 years old sometimes." That pretty much says it for me too. A great way to be if you're an entertainer. What kids (or adults even) can have fun with the stuffy, old codger type. When I'm performing, now that I think of it, I'm like a kid on a merry-go-round. Youth and energy are always an attractive package. Unfortunately, I haven't got youth anymore but the energy level is still up to par. Then again, the day isn't over yet!

Mark

#467268 - 03/09/19 03:55 AM Re: Booking Senior Events [Re: btweengigs]
Stephenm52 Offline

Originally Posted By btweengigs
Steve... I am picturing you as "The Fonz" in the Villages. smile

smile smile

Originally Posted By tony mads usa
Steve, I love you, bro ... but I don't have to see pics of people in shorts when I'm sitting in 25 degrees !!!
wink

Tony, sorry my brother, don’t mean to “buster.” Sometimes I need to pinch myself to make sure I’m not dreaming.

#467436 - 03/12/19 11:37 PM Re: Booking Senior Events [Re: Bill Lewis]
Mark79100 Offline

Originally Posted By Bill Lewis
His show is mostly kid oriented and people literally are throwing their kids on the stage to participate.

During my 20 years as a DJ, the one thing I learned that made me popular was this. At many intimate, family-type parties, don't worry about entertaining the adults so much as entertaining the kids. Parents love to watch and film their children playing games (especially winning the game), dressed in costumes and hats, making faces, interacting with the other kids, etc. We all know parents are obsessed with two things.....themselves and their children! Please the kids and you please the parents.....sometimes without line dances even.
(But.....WARNING: do NOT do this at weddings and "giant" affairs!)

I worked with kids for a few years. Some of the ideas I used:

Jr. Miss America contest (play "A Pretty Girl is Like A Melody)
Mr. Muscle Man Contest (they do muscle poses...play Macho Man)
Balloon race (hold the balloon between two people...using the body only...no hands....play William Tell Overture)
Dance competition (teach them basic moves in standard dances...tango, cha-cha, waltz....dancing with their parents)
Freeze Dance combined with Huggy Bear and Coke/Pepsi
Talent show with kids providing the talent
Father/Daughter dance (play Daddy's Little Girl...even as corny as it is today)
Mother/Son dance (I let them dance to Disco and make up the moves)

You can stretch many ideas out to fill out a 3-4 hour gig with enough patter in between.

But the point again....whenever possible, for "family" events (birthday parties, etc) you don't need to focus on the music....only the kids.

#467457 - 03/13/19 01:43 PM Re: Booking Senior Events [Re: GlennT]
Bill Lewis Offline

Loc: Bluffton/Hilton Head SC USA
As i said all DJ's have their "bits" and the ones invloving kids work great a family events. Some good ideas there but think I'll still pass on that 4th job this year.

Page 6 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online