SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#46682 - 10/19/04 04:46 AM Re: Old subject Playing live or Sequences and WHY
bruno123 Online   content

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
Chuck, my guitar teacher who was one of the best in New York would sit and write a guitar arrangement for me. Since I was a pro the arrangement was involved. I asked him way he did not make copies of the arrangement, it would take less time. His answer, which I understood was -- If I made the arrangement, put it in my file and copied it when I need it, the arrangement would never be anymore than it was when I first wrote it. In this way it improves as I do.

When I play I look for new ways to express what I am feeling and using some of the new ideas in chord changes and melodic lines. Playing Glenn Miller's Getting Sentiment Over You should be played as he did it IMHO -- But how many different arrangements of Body and Soul, of Misty or Mack the Knife have been played.
Chuck, I value your opinion, and I do respect it,thank you.

God made so many varities of us Technics guys and that makes life so interesting.

Have a special day, John C.

#46683 - 10/19/04 09:24 AM Re: Old subject Playing live or Sequences and WHY
John North Offline

Loc: Alfreton, Derbyshire, England
A very interesting topic and one which will go on and on, I'm sure.
I have great respect for anyone who sequences their music, not to mention admiration for their patience. In fact I respect anyone who produces music by whatever means. I've backed singers who sing in the key of Z - but at least they have a go. Firstly if it gives you pleasure producing music by that method all well and good. Secondly if the 'listener' enjoys the music for what it is, not how it was produced so much the better. Even Mike Oldfield played some tracks of his famous 'Tubular Bells' at half speed!!! and that's a CD I've nearly worn out.
Having said all that, I'm a 'warts and all' live player and have never used a sequenced song at any of my gigs.
John

#46684 - 10/19/04 10:48 AM Re: Old subject Playing live or Sequences and WHY
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
I will use sequenced songs or midi files when necessary, but like some others here I enjoy the ability and freedom of playing with the kb styles ... It provides me with the opportunity to change from latin to swing and back again, for example, in the same tune ... I know there are some boards that allow you to 'mark' the bridge or other places in the tune so that if you want to you can go back to that spot.... that's a great feature ...
I use the 'canned' stuff for tunes I might not play that well or that often, or if a certain riff or 'hook' needs to be there ...
Again, it depends on the requirements of the venue and the client, and I guess how I 'feel' at that particular moment ...
But whatever the method, providing good music to an appreciative audience is all that matters ...
t.

#46685 - 10/19/04 12:14 PM Re: Old subject Playing live or Sequences and WHY
The Leans Offline

Loc: Birmingham, England
Hi John,

I strongly suspect there are two different scenarios going on here.

Many of the comments have been made on the scenario of 'Have keyboard-will travel-will play'. In which case, the subject of the use of sequencers, is probably being aimed at this particular scenario.

It appears to be overlooked, that many players use the sequencer to make 'COMPLETE RECORDINGS, for permanent storage, and possible onward transmission to CD. It follows therefore, that the theories and views that might be applicable to one scenario, may not be applicable to the other. !

The use of the sequencer for either of these scenarios, has surely nothing to do with the playing or imaginative skills of the player. Three Blind Mice can be interpreted and played in a myriad of styles, live or otherwise. But a full sequenced recording in it's own right, is a permanent record. Which might very well, just be one of these interpretations.

Just like written music, such an interpretation would be a permanent record, and not confused with a few moments of live 'creative playing at a gig.

Long live the sequencer, and all who sail in her. What a debt we owe to Technics.

Colin.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online