SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#46672 - 10/17/04 08:18 PM Old subject Playing live or Sequences and WHY
bruno123 Offline

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
I do not use sequences -- and that's not a put down! I feel there is a trade-off on both methods. But I do love my freedom when I'm sitting out front. I can move in any direction in seconds. I can do what I am feeling for that moment.It also allows me to use many of the KN's features on the fly.

How about the why's and the how's in using sequences. What do I gain? What will I lose.
And, if I use them, why not store the sequence on my Mini Disk player instead of in the keyboard?

I am sincere in my question, I am really looking for your views, John C.

#46673 - 10/18/04 02:14 AM Re: Old subject Playing live or Sequences and WHY
The Leans Offline

Loc: Birmingham, England
Hi John,

Your question appears to be on the basis, that players who have 'the freedom' to musically express themselves when playing 'live', can be 'restricted in this freedom, by the use of the sequencer. Not so, in my view.

In general terms, the question doesn't arise if playing out on a gig with other people, or playing from the dots. But, if you play by ear, whether sitting at home, or playing out as a solo performer, the use of the sequencer can be tremendously exhilarating. In which case, for the ear player, any pre-recorded and arranged song, which he/she has previously 'actually played' into the sequencer, can at anytime, be accompanied by your own 'live' playing of a melody line. Result:- The whole performance was 'live', because you originally played 'live' when inserting your arrangement into the sequencer. !!!

Finally, we must surely bear in mind, that many fine players will use the sequencer, for no other purpose, than to produce a final 'arranged and played' performance, resulting in something which is far superior to anything they could produce during a 'live' performance. ?

Just my view you understand. The sequencer is not just a device to 'cheat' on our actual playing abilities. Wondrous players can, and do, produce wondrous sequenced arrangements. ! Over to you. Enjoy.

Colin.

#46674 - 10/18/04 02:57 AM Re: Old subject Playing live or Sequences and WHY
Bernie9 Offline

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
Hi John
I have mused the same question many times myself. As Colin has so aptly put it,and you already know,there are advantages in using the sequencer. Having said that,I have found that some people think you are running a karaoke if it is overused. If you include too many tracks,e.g.,it is quite obvious you are not playing it all. Then the question becomes, are you playing anything?
On the otherhand,APC is partially the same thing.I use a laptop for midi's,which displays the score and/or lyrics,and it works very well for me as I read and can't remember all lyrics. Is that the best way? Probably not. The ideal way IMO,is to know all material cold and try to do what you do.

Some say that the customers today expect a fuller rendition afforded by sequences. If you play as much as you can by yourself,and delete all else,and you put energy into your playing,then I think you can use sequences to some degree with your regular playing. I think the venue also dictates to some degree. If I am doing a singalong at a club,e.g.,I would want the flexibility of the keyboard.
I am cutting down on sequences only for my own pride. The combination of sequences and your own talent,however,produces a better sounding product in some cases,however.

I am still not sure what the balance point is.

Bernie

#46675 - 10/18/04 06:49 AM Re: Old subject Playing live or Sequences and WHY
Lindoz Offline

Loc: Torshalla, Sweden
Well John, let me put it in this way... It´s hard to play the KN on a gigg and then sing and play the guitar at the same time

But serious I will say that I do a lot of recordings. To day you need the perfect rythm of the instruments and of course, the drums will come on the right places in the bars, and so on. The music of today is very compurized. Listen to the "big" artists, and you find sequenced recordings everywhere.

Lindoz

#46676 - 10/18/04 06:22 PM Re: Old subject Playing live or Sequences and WHY
Scott Langholff Offline

Loc: Pensacola, Florida, USA
I would agree that playing along with a sequencer in many cases may have it's pluses.

I know for me, I'd rather play on the fly, as while I do things similar, I never do it the same. What if the dance floor requires another time through? I would think that that would be the biggest drawback unless there is something I don't know about all the options on a sequencer.

Also, as far as exactly duplicating the original record, then to me, I might as well give up my individuality, and be a DJ. At least for me, and IMHO, I want to sound different than the recording and different everytime I play a song.

While it may be useful if when I play a trumpet solo, (the real one you blow on), if it was a great arrangement, then I could see the possiblilty there for me anyway. But, typically, if I decide to blow trumpet, I just kick the transposer down to Bb, play left hand chords and right hand trumpet. The audience seems to go for this antic. But, still the same things I mentioned above apply to me.

What I do like to do with midi recordings is to have a bunch of tunes that I can play to please an audience, if I don't know them myself. In that case, the audience seems to be just as happy as if I played it myself. This is not really my first choice as a musician, but when it comes to pleasing your audience, then I am willing to do this, watching the score on my Tyros screen and doodling along.

Just my slant on it. It's one of those personal things I suppose.

Best
Scott

#46677 - 10/18/04 06:27 PM Re: Old subject Playing live or Sequences and WHY
Scott Langholff Offline

Loc: Pensacola, Florida, USA
Hey John

FYI, I sold my KN2600 and turned around and am using the money to have two Barbetta 32C's shipped to me.

I think from what I have heard about them, at 450 watts apiece, this should take care of the real big rooms, and only 36 lbs to deal with!!

Best
Scott

#46678 - 10/18/04 06:54 PM Re: Old subject Playing live or Sequences and WHY
bruno123 Offline

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
Originally posted by The Leans:

Your question appears to be on the basis, that players who have 'the freedom' to musically express themselves when playing 'live', can be 'restricted in this freedom, by the use of the sequencer. Not so, in my view.

Wow, let me explain what I mean by freedom. If I am playing a song and for any reason there is an intruption, possibly a customer question, or to address something that's happening on the dance floor or to add to what's is happening in the room, I have the freedom to do so. I am not restricted to any part of the song, in fact I can play something else that is needed at that moment. I can do this before anyone takes one step to leave the dance floor. Press one panel memory and I'm off and running.

When playing along with a sequence, I am limited to the feel of that sequence, I must follow it, I do not have the freedom to play that same song with a different feel.

Now having said all that --- I am not -- am not against working with sequences. I use sequence for a few songs like God Bless the USA. I use recorded music for songs I could do no justice to -- Electric slide, Shout, ect. I could never play God Bless the USA without sequencing with multi tracks. Mine sequence sounds great IMHO

Now the purpose of my post is to learn not attack. All of this stuff is good, I just want some positives on sequencing --- I already know the positives of playing live. I am looking for opinions about sequencing or playing live.-- Please.
I do get enough opinions about me at home---

I feel better, John C.

#46679 - 10/18/04 07:08 PM Re: Old subject Playing live or Sequences and WHY
AnthonyCian Offline

Loc: Arizona, USA
I play for the church and use both, full piano arrangement or special sounds using the APC. If the choir isn't present and I'm playing for congregation then I feel more comfortable playing the piano arrangement, more freedom.

Playing with the choir, they like the APC, and we rehearse it, this really adds appeal when performing on Sunday. I even recorded it, and when I wasn't present, my wife popped in the disk loaded it in the (PR305) and pressed start. A lot of folks thought she was actually playing, she doesn’t know a thing about playing keyboards.

One other thing to remember when using sequence and APC, time signature changes from 4/4 to 4/5, or 9/8 within the song (reading music). Also playing in 4/4 then coming across one measure with 2/4, then back to 4/4, that can be tricky... and one has to be quick to draw on that one...

Anthony

[This message has been edited by AnthonyCian (edited 10-18-2004).]

#46680 - 10/18/04 10:49 PM Re: Old subject Playing live or Sequences and WHY
larry gosmeyer Offline

Loc: La Verne, CA USA
To Sequence or not to Sequence – That is the question.

In my life the value of music occupies a position of major importance – but, that importance is all wrapped up in the area of listening – with the act of performing being just a means to the end. I love listening to music, and having an active part in the creation of that music, adds immeasurably to the satisfaction gained.

For me, to not use the sequencer is like insisting on using the old fashion pencil and paper to write down my thoughts, rather than using technology’s latest computer products. The KN7000 with it’s fabulous sequencing power offer’s the opportunity of creating musical arrangements that can rival the biggest and best orchestras, limited only by one’s own in-born talent, plus the time and hard work necessary to produce the desired result.

Of course, a sequenced song can still be enhanced and viewed as a great performance by the players’ ability to play along with the sequenced parts. For me, my current condition of limited memory is such that I don’t have the time to spend in constant practice in keeping up with a large repertoire of songs. I like to sit back and listen to the arrangements. Once I finish the arrangement, I have forgotten most of the details of the performance and thus can listen to the song being played, which almost seems like a brand new arrangement each time I play it.

Of course, I also like to share my work with others, especially those who like the kind of music that I like to create.

I just hope that my KN7000 holds up as long as I can sit down and play it in my quest to create a likeable rendition of a nice song.

#46681 - 10/18/04 10:54 PM Re: Old subject Playing live or Sequences and WHY
Chuck Piper Offline

Loc: United Kingdom
I am always reading that using the sequencer means one's music always sounds the same. Of course it does! What is wrong with that? When I play a recording, for example by the David Rose orchestra, it is identical every time I play it, but I still enjoy it. And I've been playing it for 40 years! And I'll continue to play it. It is as beautiful and fresh today as it was the first time I listened to it after buying the album all those years ago.

A song sequenced by Colin Leaney, Larry Gosmeyer, and others is beautiful music. It is beautiful and fresh whether played yesterday, today, or tomorrow.

I dare say folks on a dance floor dancing to the Glenn Miller band were not expecting the band to play Moonlight Serenade a hundred different ways. The band played from written music. That is akin to sequencing. This penchant for sounding different every time you play a tune is something I'll never understand. My neighbor hears me play and wants me to repeat a tune. So I play it exactly the same way again. Why? Because that is the way she likes to hear it! If I played it differently every time she would not like it, I'm sure. And whose to say that those who play tunes differently every time are playing them so that they are musically appealing every time. I, for one, would doubt they are.

Just my thoughts.

Chuck
Manchester, UK

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online