SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#466582 - 02/25/19 09:22 AM Keyboards later in life
guitpic1 Offline

Loc: Missouri
Don't know about the rest of you, but I just started keyboard at age 62..I'm now 70.

I figured out chords on an arranger as it was similar to guitar.

For me anyway, the arranger was a way for this string(mandolin, guitar, bass, banjo player) to learn keyboard. I started one key at a time, as I did playing strings as a kid.

Thing is, keyboard/piano players don't relate to arrangers...my brother(piano player)included.

I still see the advantage of arrangers, especially as a way for folks who want to learn keyboard.

Edited by guitpic1 (02/25/19 09:24 AM)

#466598 - 02/25/19 02:16 PM Re: Keyboards later in life [Re: guitpic1]
solomon8 Offline

Loc: Lehigh Acres, Fl USA
I am 72 and have played piano since I was 18. I play classical, jazz, etc. I love the arranger keyboards. They are a whole lot of fun. They can give you a lot of good ideas to use at the piano. Wishing you many years of enjoyment at the keyboard.

#466599 - 02/25/19 02:59 PM Re: Keyboards later in life [Re: guitpic1]
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
My 2 cents, I started at age 11 but thru age 17 it was probably a waste of my parent’s money. At 17 I took a real interest in piano and worked hard trying to improve. Fast forward to the present. I’m playing piano solo on Monday afternoons in the lobby of a medical center in The Villages Florida. The instrument is a Yammie DGX 650. Last winter I strictly played it as a piano the first few weeks into the gig this year I continued playing piano solo. About 3 weeks ago I thought I’d combine the arranger features and mix it up with some piano solo and some arranger backing. It was an enjoyable gig but more fun now that I play about 50% arranger style and 50% piano solo.

#466622 - 02/26/19 09:39 AM Re: Keyboards later in life [Re: guitpic1]
Riceroni9 Offline

Loc: TX, USA
It is never too late to begin exploring new ideas... especially things music related. Arrangers are evolving... some more, some less and who knows where tech will lead us. Stephen, I'm so pleased to know "the light came on" at seventeen... and you did not waste your parent's investment in your future. (Wish I had been fortunate enough to receive such a gift.) I can only imagine how you are enjoying the Gig... and now beginning to mix in arranger styles. Good on ya', Mate!

#466636 - 02/26/19 12:51 PM Re: Keyboards later in life [Re: guitpic1]
Bernie9 Offline

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
What a dream gig! I bet you don't even have to have chicken wire on stage in front of you. I remember some blood and guts places that did when I started in the sixties. I guess most of you know that the Villages is a very big and growing subdivision for the well healed in Florida.

#466643 - 02/26/19 03:55 PM Re: Keyboards later in life [Re: Bernie9]
sparky589 Offline

Loc: NJ
I only started playing an arranger less than 10 years ago. I too started with mandolin and guitar as a child, accordion also. As an adult I was excited to hear midi accordion playing with full variety of orchestral sounds and rhythm accompaniment. I then went to an accordion keyboard then full arranger learning limited left hand. I wish I had the early on piano training that many here did.

#466654 - 02/27/19 05:02 AM Re: Keyboards later in life [Re: Riceroni9]
Stephenm52 Offline

Originally Posted By Riceroni9
It is never too late to begin exploring new ideas... especially things music related. Arrangers are evolving... some more, some less and who knows where tech will lead us. Stephen, I'm so pleased to know "the light came on" at seventeen... and you did not waste your parent's investment in your future. (Wish I had been fortunate enough to receive such a gift.) I can only imagine how you are enjoying the Gig... and now beginning to mix in arranger styles. Good on ya', Mate!

Dave, It was the piano playing of musicians like Keith Emerson and Rick Wakeman that really got me motivated to start taking piano more seriously. I’m grateful they came along when they did. Hearing Oscar Peterson also played a big part.

This is a dream gig that’s for sure, the only blood and guts here may be in another section of the building where the hospital operating room is smile. Nice part about the gig there’s no equipment I have to haul, I just show up and play.

Edited by Stephenm52 (02/27/19 06:09 AM)

#466672 - 02/27/19 12:47 PM Re: Keyboards later in life [Re: guitpic1]
Riceroni9 Offline

Loc: TX, USA
Much to be said for only having to "show up and play!" You are now entering Don Mason's league! LOL! Proud of you!

#466676 - 02/27/19 02:02 PM Re: Keyboards later in life [Re: Riceroni9]
Stephenm52 Offline

Originally Posted By Riceroni9
Much to be said for only having to "show up and play!" You are now entering Don Mason's league! LOL! Proud of you!

Thanks Dave I appreciate the kind words, but Mason is in a class of his own. He made a nice living out of it, me? I’d probably have to be on food stamps to supplement what I make playing smile

#466683 - 02/27/19 07:15 PM Re: Keyboards later in life [Re: Stephenm52]
bruno123 Online   content

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
I like that food stamp talk, very humble, nice.
John C.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online