SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#466468 - 02/23/19 12:00 PM buying stuff in small town America
ekurburski Offline

Loc: Mountain Home, AR
I recently purchased a dr05 from Sweetwater and got a hell of a deal on a Performer vk from Don Mason. Now I need some cables which I ordered fom Sweetwater and they will arrive Tues or Weds next week. I thought it would be kind of nice to play with my new toys this weekend so went out into my town of Mountain Home Ar to see if I could find what I need. Not only no go but this really blew me away, I couldn't even get a MIDI cable without special ordering it. The one Music store in town ws closed on Sat. So, long story, short. I will wait til Tuesday or Weds.

#466474 - 02/23/19 12:45 PM Re: buying stuff in small town America [Re: ekurburski]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
You can use the VK without midi. It will analyze the music and pick appropriate harmony from that.

#466604 - 02/25/19 08:28 PM Re: buying stuff in small town America [Re: ekurburski]
Riceroni9 Offline

Loc: TX, USA
Yes, Earl:

Buying musical "stuff" in small town America is difficult and often impossible. Out little Music Store here in "West Mayberry" shuttered it's doors last year. Now we must drive to either Ft. Worth or Waco to try and find what we need. Most of the big box stores don't carry much unless it happens to be a big buck selling item... or devices intended for use on those items.

Let's don't even talk about "High End Arrangers." They don't keep them in those big box stores because they have no clue about what they are capable of doing.

Being an "old school" guy, I like to see what I'm attempting to consider buying (I call it "kicking the tires") and don't care much for using Amazon or similar suppliers for that reason.

The Mom and Pop stores are under tremendous pressure to compete because they can't buy "in bulk" and are forced to compete (and pay sales and inventory taxes) when most Internet sales go untaxed.

I hope Don's advice will allow you to use the new "toy" without having to buy something else... and wait, and wait and wait.

All the best, ----Dave

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online