SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#465736 - 02/04/19 09:44 PM My first recording post
ekurburski Offline

Loc: Mountain Home, AR
https://app.box.com/file/396757295671

Several things wrong here. Number 1 the volume is to low on the playback.

#2. There are way to many mistakes in playing. This was one take.

#3 No resonence on my voice.

#4 Somehow I got an attempt at recording an instrumental stuck onto the end of the vocal recording.

I am looking for all the critical assistance I can get here. If this is what I sound like (and obviously it is) I need a LOT of practice before I try to book myself anywhere.

#465738 - 02/05/19 05:27 AM Re: My first recording post [Re: ekurburski]
Riceroni9 Offline

Loc: TX, USA
Hi Earl:

I "signed in" at Box and was unable to be taken to the link you provided. I'll check back later to listen. Not sure what needs changing in the "link" but hopefully, one of our experts will lead the way and explain it.

Back later, ----Dave

#465740 - 02/05/19 06:18 AM Re: My first recording post [Re: ekurburski]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By ekurburski
https://app.box.com/file/396757295671

Several things wrong here. Number 1 the volume is to low on the playback.

#2. There are way to many mistakes in playing. This was one take.

#3 No resonence on my voice.

#4 Somehow I got an attempt at recording an instrumental stuck onto the end of the vocal recording.

I am looking for all the critical assistance I can get here. If this is what I sound like (and obviously it is) I need a LOT of practice before I try to book myself anywhere.

Need the BOX SHARED link to song to listen? confused1

#465744 - 02/05/19 07:16 AM Re: My first recording post [Re: Dnj]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Earl ... Where the song is resident in BOX there is a square that says SHARE ... click on that and a screen will come up with a link and next to it will say COPY ... click on that and you will be able to post it here ...

#465746 - 02/05/19 09:12 AM Re: My first recording post [Re: tony mads usa]
ekurburski Offline

#465747 - 02/05/19 09:40 AM Re: My first recording post [Re: ekurburski]
Riceroni9 Offline

Loc: TX, USA
Thanks, Tony... now it works, Earl:

I listened and believe you have what I'd call "recording fright"... LOL! Don't be afraid to turn up the volume. Like me, you got a bit "pitchy" in a couple of places... but we've all been there. Practice, practice... practice! When you have time, tell us about your recording gear and any techniques you are using.

Great first post. I'm awarding you the Medal of Valor. You picked a song our Pal, Mason probably does when he performs down there in the Shreveport area. Maybe he will "chime in" with some advice.

Thanks for sharing. Keep grinding away at this... you are better than most!

#465748 - 02/05/19 09:57 AM Re: My first recording post [Re: ekurburski]
montunoman Offline

Loc: Dallas, Texas
Hi Earl, the country and western piano fills were pretty darn good!

Voice was "pitchy" at spots but over all your carried the tune.

For me (maybe because I'm drummer) the timing issues were the number one distraction. Somehow you got the beat turned around and was it very apparent when the drum fills were ending on beat 3 instead of beat 1. In my opinion the most important thing for a musician to know is where beat one is. Always know where is beat one! Most keyboards have some kind of indicator like a light that flashes on beat one.

Although I hated it at the time, I think high school marching band was one of the most important things that developed my playing. Having to mark time with the feet really helped me. I wish I could have gone to a Black gospel church growing up to learn to clap on 2 and 4... I seen some of those church folk be able hold it all down with their amazing tambourine playing and hand clapping, no need for a drummer!

Anyways, thanks for posting!

www.youtube.com/channel/UCV94i--V-A8kZShmGTKyDOw

https://www.facebook.com/elgrupocache

#465749 - 02/05/19 10:01 AM Re: My first recording post [Re: ekurburski]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
It's better than I was expecting...
You seem to have the ability to stay on pitch, although it wavered a time or two, but nothing that practice and experience won't take care of.
I think your voice has a pleasing quality to it, but as mentioned, don't hold back. Sing with confidence.
As far as the recording itself, I can't tell if you were using the mics on the recorder or the line-in inputs directly from keyboard or mixer. I highly recommend using the direct lines.
If I recall correctly you are using a Tascam DR-05. If so, you can increase the recording level by pressing the UP arrow portion of the wheel, while in Record Mode. Also I almost always use Audacity to get the final level right. It is free and easy to use. Copy and paste the song file to your computer. Then you just drag the song into it and it will open. The select Effects, then Normalize. Then File and Export file to MP3. You can name it if you like.
Keep at it, you are certainly on the right track. Let's hear some more.

#465750 - 02/05/19 10:30 AM Re: My first recording post [Re: DonM]
organgrinder Offline

Loc: ft. lauderdale, florida
First. don't be afraid. sing it strong. That will steady your voice.
second. I heard a little Roy Clark in your voice. Very pleasing. You'll catch on fast if you believe in yourself.
MEL

#465754 - 02/05/19 11:58 AM Re: My first recording post [Re: organgrinder]
Terrysutt Offline

Loc: United Kingdom
Sounds a nice song and I would take the key down a semitone to be
a bit more comfortable with the key, and also use the ending of the style you use, which will finish the song without recording anything after.

#465758 - 02/05/19 01:35 PM Re: My first recording post [Re: Terrysutt]
ekurburski Offline

Yes , I,m using the dr05. I recorded it straight to mp3 using the built in mikes. I set the recorder on the music rest stand after arming it. I didn't really want to us audacity as I'm trying to hear exactly what my audience hears without any additional processing. A couple of you indicated that I get a little pitchy in places. Not sure what you mean by that. And yes, I know I need to work on the timing issues. BTW, 20 years in Army marching bands hasn't seemed to help all that much.

Thank you Don for your kind comments although {I do wonder what was it that you expected? laugh

#465763 - 02/05/19 03:15 PM Re: My first recording post [Re: ekurburski]
tony mads usa Offline

Yes , I,m using the dr05. I recorded it straight to mp3 using the built in mikes. I set the recorder on the music rest stand after arming it. I didn't really want to us audacity as I'm trying to hear exactly what my audience hears without any additional processing. A couple of you indicated that I get a little pitchy in places. Not sure what you mean by that. And yes, I know I need to work on the timing issues. BTW, 20 years in Army marching bands hasn't seemed to help all that much.

Thank you Don for your kind comments although {I do wonder what was it that you expected? laugh

Pitchy refers to going slightly off key on some notes ... I think the suggestions of 'not being afraid to sing' are good ones - as the saying goes "sing as if no one is listening" ...
I also think lowering the key slightly would be a benefit, as it sounds like you are straining for some of the notes ...

I don't want to speak for Don, but perhaps the title of your first post "Boy Do I Suck!!" might have had him expecting less wink

#465765 - 02/05/19 04:57 PM Re: My first recording post [Re: ekurburski]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Earl, I fixed the volume problem for you using Audacity, which is a free, downloadable, multi-track recording program for PC computers.

After doing the volume repair, I noticed that there were some weird sounds in the background of the style you used, and additionally, a fair amount of 60 cycle hum, which is likely the result of poor grounding or a bad input cable. Hard to determine the source without being there.

Overall, not bad for an old codger, a bit pitchy in some spots, and it sounds as if you were singing near the top end of your vocal range. This can all be fixed with practice and timing problems will quickly be overcome when you get more comfortable with the recording process.

I did a bit of digging and found Audacity for other computer formats as well. Check out https://www.audacityteam.org/download/mac/

Attached is the volume corrected version of your song. Today I Started

Good luck,

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#465776 - 02/05/19 07:29 PM Re: My first recording post [Re: ekurburski]
W Tracy Parnell Offline

Loc: NY
First, you picked a great song and that shows good taste! Pretty good job, I agree maybe a half step too high. I think with some practice will come more confidence and you'll be where you want to be. Thanks for posting.

#465818 - 02/06/19 09:15 PM Re: My first recording post [Re: ekurburski]
Nigel Offline
Admin

Loc: Ventura CA USA
You don't have to use app.box you can attach mp3 files to your post in this forum. Just need to click on File Manager before posting and browse to the mp3 file on your PC and it will attach to your post.

#465820 - 02/06/19 09:29 PM Re: My first recording post [Re: Nigel]
DonM Offline

Originally Posted By Nigel
You don't have to use app.box you can attach mp3 files to your post in this forum. Just need to click on File Manager before posting and browse to the mp3 file on your PC and it will attach to your post.

I must be sleepy, or just gettin' old. Where is File Manager?
Thanks

#465824 - 02/06/19 10:46 PM Re: My first recording post [Re: ekurburski]
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Switch to full reply screen. And the file manager is on the bottom.

#465837 - 02/07/19 06:24 AM Re: My first recording post [Re: Fran Carango]
bruno123 Online   content

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
Can I attach wave files to my post?
John C.

#465838 - 02/07/19 07:26 AM Re: My first recording post [Re: bruno123]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
No, only files up to 10 megs.

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#465839 - 02/07/19 07:28 AM Re: My first recording post [Re: bruno123]
Fran Carango Offline

No wav upload and remember 10 mb file size limit..

#465840 - 02/07/19 07:43 AM Re: My first recording post [Re: ekurburski]
Fran Carango Offline

I usually copy a link from one of my websites, where I have uploaded a file.. Here is an example

http://seniors4u.homestead.com/Instrumental_medley.mp3

#465841 - 02/07/19 07:46 AM Re: My first recording post [Re: Fran Carango]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By Fran Carango
I usually copy a link from one of my websites, where I have uploaded a file.. Here is an example

clap what a great medley Fran,
I am sure your audiences love it too .... headphone
thanx for sharing.

#465843 - 02/07/19 09:00 AM Re: My first recording post [Re: Nigel]
tony mads usa Offline

Nigel, yes, I have done this in the past, and some members "suggested" that I use BOX or some other file service ... I have no idea as to why ...

#465844 - 02/07/19 09:02 AM Re: My first recording post [Re: tony mads usa]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By tony mads usa

Nigel, yes, I have done this in the past, and some members "suggested" that I use BOX or some other file service ... I have no idea as to why ...

box gives you so many more options and convenience to post what ever you want and share it etc..

#465845 - 02/07/19 09:14 AM Re: My first recording post [Re: Fran Carango]
montunoman Offline

Loc: Dallas, Texas
Originally Posted By Fran Carango

What a nice medley!

www.youtube.com/channel/UCV94i--V-A8kZShmGTKyDOw

https://www.facebook.com/elgrupocache

#465847 - 02/07/19 09:37 AM Re: My first recording post [Re: Dnj]
tony mads usa Offline

Originally Posted By Dnj
Originally Posted By tony mads usa

box gives you so many more options and convenience to post what ever you want and share it etc..

True, but as the listener, I don't see an advantage of BOX over posting directly on S-Z.

#465849 - 02/07/19 01:03 PM Re: My first recording post [Re: ekurburski]
ekurburski Offline

Thank you DonM. Glad to see I'm not the only one that couldn't find the file manager.

#465851 - 02/07/19 02:15 PM Re: My first recording post [Re: ekurburski]
DonM Offline

Well, I'm new here. smile

#465852 - 02/07/19 02:15 PM Re: My first recording post [Re: ekurburski]
tony mads usa Offline

Thank you DonM. Glad to see I'm not the only one that couldn't find the file manager.

Don must have been "sleepy" ... I'm sure he's used it many times ... wink grin

#465853 - 02/07/19 02:16 PM Re: My first recording post [Re: DonM]
tony mads usa Offline

Originally Posted By DonM
Well, I'm new here. smile

laugh2

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online