SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 6 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#466938 - 03/04/19 07:28 AM Re: Senior residence AD problem...advice? [Re: Mark79100]
Bernie9 Online   content

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
I know I have made many times the amount I could have earned in the music business. I felt it was too risky, even though I would have much rather played music than sell insurance for forty years. I think it depends on your degree of talent, ability to entertain, locale, and the nut you are dealing with at the time. Dave is above average, for sure, and more power to him. I didn't have as much fun, but have been financially rewarded for my sacrifice. Now I can have my cake and eat it.

Edited by Bernie9 (03/04/19 07:30 AM)

#466939 - 03/04/19 08:54 AM Re: Senior residence AD problem...advice? [Re: Mark79100]
Bill Lewis Offline

Loc: Bluffton/Hilton Head SC USA
Bernie
Just what I was saying. Talent alone is no guarantee because you have to deal with "nuts" constantly. People who know nothing about your business can control your business. I too took the conservative route with some telling me not to do it. I now can have lots of cake LOL !

#466945 - 03/04/19 09:46 AM Re: Senior residence AD problem...advice? [Re: Bill Lewis]
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
What I did is incorporate the music interest into the rest of the organizational communication work I do. Now, with all former 100% print users using more and more broadcast quality YouTube work, I have an advantage of being able to supply original scores.

In my 70's, I'm making more playing music than I ever have. It has just evolved and is an enhancement to the film production work.

Of course, it's a compromise. Playing out, I'm taking a second seat to a ham sandwich. If I played the fusion jazz I'm hooked on exclusively, I'd have starved to death years ago.

Look at me! I have less to bitch at than most.

Russ

#466946 - 03/04/19 10:13 AM Re: Senior residence AD problem...advice? [Re: Mark79100]
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
There's a reason they call our industry show "Business" and not show "ART". (paraphrasing Miss Piggy)

It's always been a business to me, no booze, no long breaks, top gear, always stayed current, and relevant to my demographic ... I play for the house. I've seen so many talented musicians loose their foothold because of "artistic" choices, but the ones who kept paying the bills knew that it was so much more than a "gig"
(that's why I rarely use the word) This is my calling. My profession, and my vocation.
I never wanted big lights, boats, fancy cars, or summer homes. I just wanted to use my skills to make music that makes people happy. (me included)
I truly believe that you can shape your own destiny ... if you're willing to work for it.

The "nuts" and "crazies" that we encounter are part of the cost of doing business. We've all got things about our jobs that we don't love, but in my case ... the positives far outweigh the negatives. I change with the times, I adapt, and I push on. In 2 more years, I'll take my social security, and that'll ease up some of the need to chase that almighty dollar. I never intend to retire, but I wouldn't mind slowing down just a bit an about 10 years. I'm not a snow-bird candidate (I'd miss fall and winter too much,) so I will stay put, and keep the tunes coming till I can do it no longer. Then, I'll make another adjustment for whatever the circumstances suggest. It's always been that way as an independent contractor. Working for yourself has it's privileges ... as long as you and the boss agree. smile

When I taught school, I was very careful to encourage my students to follow their passion. I nurtured them, but I challenged them, too.If I thought they had a real shot at the biz, I told them so. I've offered real world advice based on the talent, and drive I saw in each of them. My teachers did the same for me in high school, so I think it's my duty to pass it on.
I get very defensive when people dismiss my chosen business as less than adequate, or sufficient. There's nothing else I'd rather do, and I'm pretty sure many, many people in the "real world" work force cannot say the same. Most nights, I can't wait to get to work, and that feeling has been strong in my heart since my first "gig" (yes, back then it was) in 1969. Fifty years on the job, and still loving it ... sounds like a career to me.
If I ever put the money ahead of the job ... someone please SAVE ME!
smile

#466949 - 03/04/19 10:57 AM Re: Senior residence AD problem...advice? [Re: Uncle Dave]
bruno123 Online   content

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
Dave, I’d like to agree with you, but then we would both be wrong.
ha ha ha I could not resist.

Dave, you don’t need to be saved, you are 100% right in your opinion, in what has happened to you. So is are the others that post here. --- They are opinions from their experience.

I do have a problem with the word career. If it is a career, it is the only career that you get fired from at the end of the job/gig.
Keep in mind that I played Wedding and parties- - - one-nighters
Just saying, John C.

#466950 - 03/04/19 11:00 AM Re: Senior residence AD problem...advice? [Re: Mark79100]
organgrinder Offline

Loc: ft. lauderdale, florida
John
I was just going to say the same thing.
MEL

#466951 - 03/04/19 11:18 AM Re: Senior residence AD problem...advice? [Re: Mark79100]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
A lot of people work really hard at jobs they don't particularly like, so that when they can get old they can retire and go fishing or play golf or travel, or lie around the pool.
I started doing all that 45 years ago because I played music at night and had all day free.
When the music gets to where I don't want to do it, I'll quit. Or when they tell me to quit, that would do it too.
I was fortunate enough to make enough to support myself and my family for a long time, but often things were quite bleak. Something always turned up and I took the occasional "day" job when absolutely necessary. My wife does have a very good job which takes care of our insurance, so that has been a big help. These days, she makes a lot more than I do as well, but then she is a young thing (59) and I've been on SS for fourteen years!
When I had a real job, I totally hated having to get up and be somewhere at 8 in the morning, even though I had a fine and interesting occupation. Along the way I owned a few businesses, including a golf club company, driving range and night club. None of them seemed like work at all!
If I had it all to do over, I'd probably make a few changes. Such as not wasting those first 10 years working!! smile

#466953 - 03/04/19 11:48 AM Re: Senior residence AD problem...advice? [Re: Mark79100]
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
My problem is.... I still don't know what I want to do when I grow up.. grin

I have always worked for myself, with a few temp day jobs over the years (early years)..

I would not change a thing if I had to do it over again.. grin

Maybe stay away from a few mistakes I have made smile

The secret to any success … is to be content with what you are doing. wink

#466955 - 03/04/19 12:31 PM Re: Senior residence AD problem...advice? [Re: bruno123]
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Originally Posted By bruno123
it is the only career that you get fired from at the end of the job/gig.

Again ... perception. No one can "fire" me, but me. The rooms I work, and the people writing checks are my clients, not my boss. Many of my colleagues fail to remember this.
smile
Just to be clear --- we're good, John. Just good old conversations.

#466960 - 03/04/19 02:41 PM Re: Senior residence AD problem...advice? [Re: Mark79100]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
I agree, Dave. They are MY clients - not my employer. I am Self Employed, so the only person that can fire me is me. I've been self employed since 1975 and enjoyed every minute of it. Music was my best business venture, ever!

Now, you mentioned that one of the vices you never were interested in was boats, which is a good thing. The word boat is an acronym for Break Out Another Thousand. They are expensive to own and maintain, but damned, they sure provided me, my family and friends with lots of fun over the past 55 years. Mine is up for sale, but if and when it sells, it will be one of the saddest days in my life. If it does not sell, my son will inherit it, then donate it to charity if he cannot sell it. Not a bit deal - I'll be dead at that point.

Dave, and all others on the zone, you are more than welcome to come down to Maryland and the Chesapeake's upper reaches and go sailing with me at any time the weather is fit. No charge, open bar, and the steaks and burgers are on me as well. Yes, I have a gas grill on the boat - Hell, it's a yacht!

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

Page 6 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online