SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#465284 - 01/27/19 05:06 AM Volume pedal
Bachus Offline

How much use do you make of the volume pedal?
Personally i also tend to use it for other things like controlling the filter, dsp etc etc
But this topic is mostly about controlling volume..

In general, i use them for Organs, strings, brass, saxes, synths..
in general everywhere i don’t use the sustain/damper pedal..

But how to use it..
I used to softly rock the pedal on the beat.. keeping it at around 90% volume, leaving enough room to still accentuate things.. but i am currently trying to step away from rocking the pedal all the time... organ sounds on the Genos clearly become cheesy this way... i now try to use it only for swells, falls and accents...

There is not much theory about using the organ volume pedals, everyone seems to have its own style and habbits..

I am all open for tips and experiences

http://keyszone.boards.net

#465286 - 01/27/19 05:19 AM Re: Volume pedal [Re: Bachus]
bruno123 Online   content

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
I found that a volume pedal was good for home use, but it added to an already heavy load of things to do on a job. If it was used to play for listeners and not dancers, it might be good.

John C.

#465302 - 01/27/19 12:47 PM Re: Volume pedal [Re: Bachus]
Bernie9 Online   content

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
I am the opposite in that I wouldn't leave home without it. I guess it is whatever you are used to. I started out on the Hammond B3 in 1964 with the pedal used for mainly expression, but volume also. With keyboards, I rely on the volume pedal since I run chords on my left hand. Since I am moving voices, my left hand is constantly in play, so I rely on the pedal for overall volume and expression.

#465328 - 01/28/19 08:28 AM Re: Volume pedal [Re: Bachus]
Bill Lewis Offline

Loc: Bluffton/Hilton Head SC USA
I tried going without one but went back. I use it for volume of my RH voices. No matter how much I edited at home when I got on the job the voulme levels always seemed to need adjustment. I hate trying to make adjustments while playing/singing. Using the volume pedals also helps add a bit more expression to the sounds.
Like Bernie I was a Hammond guy and used the volume pedal all the time. Right foot volume or sustain pedal for the Rhodes on top of the B3 and Left foot on the bass pedals.

#465337 - 01/28/19 11:08 AM Re: Volume pedal [Re: Bill Lewis]
sparky589 Offline

Loc: NJ
Always..for right hand sounds for keyboard and midi accordion. Up for instrumentals between vocals of course. I imagine that those who are instrumentalists only can get by without it but I think it is easier to use to subtly find the right level without keeping hands off keys too long.

Edited by sparky589 (01/28/19 11:12 AM)

#465340 - 01/28/19 11:55 AM Re: Volume pedal [Re: Bachus]
Bachus Offline

Offcourse there is many more things you can do with the volume pedal..

Today i was playing a solo violin sound on right hand 1
And use the volume pedal on the right hand 2 and 3 voices
There where 2 orchestral string sounds..
And i used the volume pedal to bring the orchestra to the front, and to the back again..

It made for a very dynamic performance..

#465344 - 01/28/19 12:19 PM Re: Volume pedal [Re: Bachus]
The_g-man Offline

Loc: Republic of Ireland
Bachus, I see the Yamaha Modx 6 in your signature, have you checked out the Sample Robot program for it yet?

Their form asks you to select from the three different sized Montage keyboards, but if you pick the Montage 6, it accepts your serial number from the Modx 6 on their form. Free program until the end of March.

Sample Robot

#465353 - 01/28/19 01:43 PM Re: Volume pedal [Re: The_g-man]
Bachus Offline

Originally Posted By The_g-man
Bachus, I see the Yamaha Modx 6 in your signature, have you checked out the Sample Robot program for it yet?

Their form asks you to select from the three different sized Montage keyboards, but if you pick the Montage 6, it accepts your serial number from the Modx 6 on their form. Free program until the end of March.

Sample Robot

Downloaded it and played around with it
Sampled some omnisphere sounds
They ended up
Rather huge in size

But its a nice program

The modx version only samples in montage format..
Cant be used for Genos

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online