SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#464686 - 01/17/19 05:08 PM WiFi Access Point function on Genos and Tyros
jimlaing Offline

Loc: Raleigh, NC
Hi . . .

Thanks to Iain McGuire who pointed out that Genos (and Tyros 5) have an "Access mode" for its WiFi ... i have been experimenting with using the Genos as my "private little network" for connecting a few iPads together (they are running the music-display app "unrealBook". It seems to work nicely! I usually bring my own little hardware router, set to Access Point mode, to establish my little network when I am playing with my band and we have several iPads. It would be nice to have one less piece of gear to set up etc., if I could use Genos itself. I tested it to ~25 ft. distance and it still worked fine.

My only concern is WiFi channels. I don't know a lot of detail about how WiFi channeling works - but I kind of thought many routers "found the best channel" and/or switched channels (and 'told' devices to switch channels) based on channels in use in the area. I don't know if WiFi is this 'smart' or not. The Genos lets you set a single, fixed WiFi channel (default = 11).

What I wonder is, what if I'm in a public place playing, and they have several (or many) WiFi's going, and some use Channel 11. Would mine not work, or interfere with theirs? With my own router (hardware device), it seemed to "take care of" the channel issue, and nearly always work flawlessly.

Does anyone have experience with this? Esp. with using Genos as an access point to connect some iPads or similar devices in a 'private network'? [I'm not talking about any Internet access, just a simple, private network for a few iPads to talk to each other].

Thanks...
Jim

#464862 - 01/20/19 02:13 PM Re: WiFi Access Point function on Genos and Tyros [Re: jimlaing]
MacAllcock Offline

Loc: Preston, Lancashire, England
My experience with a Behringer x18 mixer - which is a single channel 2.4g band device - is that if you pick a clear channel it can maintain the connection quite reliably but in a noisy environment became very hit and miss.

Now use an external dual band router and connect using the 5g band, many more usable channels and so very easy too get a clean signal.

On 2.4 gig you can really only use 1, 6 and 11 due to the bandwidth of the signals.

I use a Wi-Fi sniffer app to check channel usage at a venue and then change band if necessary. Never had to switch my 5G channel.

In a public environment I'd recommend an external router than does 5g and connect using that.

Edited by MacAllcock (01/20/19 02:14 PM)
Edit Reason: Typo

#464864 - 01/20/19 03:12 PM Re: WiFi Access Point function on Genos and Tyros [Re: MacAllcock]
Harold123 Offline

Loc: Harrisville Pa USA
John...I see You Are using what My Friend and I are discussing Maybe switching to a Digital Mixer. We are checking Out the Behringer X18 air mixer which has Super Reviews at Sweetwater.com. We want to go totally Wireless with Mixer,Aray Speakers,Mics,Monitors,etc...Getting Rid of 50 foot snake, etc...Goal is Better clean Sound, And Clean everything Up, Less Gear Set-up Time...Save Start up Settings easy to adjust as needed... Myself using a 12.2 Tablet. My Friend is up Front Most of the night He could use His I-Phone to adjust Front Monitors if needed. Being I Do the Sound Mix for Three Hours I could walk anywhere to ajust The Mix in the Building...Any Help is Welcome...Thank You Harold

Edited by Harold123 (01/20/19 03:14 PM)

#464866 - 01/20/19 03:34 PM Re: WiFi Access Point function on Genos and Tyros [Re: jimlaing]
Dnj Offline

Be careful going wireless...... Middle of a show we hear a car service dispatcher break in.!
And intermittent static, dropouts, frequency issues etc, of all kinds too during live play...

Good luck

Edited by Dnj (01/20/19 03:35 PM)

#464873 - 01/20/19 05:10 PM Re: WiFi Access Point function on Genos and Tyros [Re: Dnj]
Harold123 Offline

For sure would not just use the Internal Wi-Fi Router...Would be adding a Cat5 added Router...Donny are You using Your JBL'S outside Your Home? Still Love Them? We Run 6-7 Vocal Mics plus Stage Piano in Stereo, Harmonica and 2 Guitars etc...Sometimes a Violin...16 Channel Snake, 16 Channel AL Yamaha Mixer. We Do a Monthly 3 Hour Music Jam 9 Months per Year starting up again 4th Sat of March...Thanks Harold

#464874 - 01/20/19 05:22 PM Re: WiFi Access Point function on Genos and Tyros [Re: Harold123]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Harold ... Any vids of your group?

#464885 - 01/20/19 08:04 PM Re: WiFi Access Point function on Genos and Tyros [Re: tony mads usa]
Harold123 Offline

None Tony...This is just an OPEN Jam at a Old Grange Building We rent Free to Public. (A lot of Seniors like Me I'm 70) Nothing Pro about it, Just a lot of fun for everyone. Free Coffee Finger Food etc...We Average Maybe 8-10 Musicians some Vocalist up front in a Half Musicians Circle. The remainder of Vocalist come up front 2 songs per Set to Sing averaging 15-20 people total on the sign up sheet...Some has been in Bands, etc over the Years. The reason for 6 Vocal Mics is some do 4-5 part Vocal Harmony...We average 50-75 People last Year. We Go through the list about 1-1/2 times on average...People donate well. 6-10 Homemade Pies is donated each event By My Partners Wife they are raffed at the end of the evening...We also Give a $50.00 Cash to a name picked from a attendance signup list...It's just not local, some attendees and performers travel 5-20 miles!...I'm less than 3 miles. I've made a lot of Friends....I hope this helps You understand somewhat. I Also attend 3 other Jams on Friday or Sat Nights per Month...I enjoy it a lot...Got to Have Fun in Life......Thanks Harold {PS Maybe I can get a Photo at some point if I can figure out how to put it on the forum}

Edited by Harold123 (01/20/19 08:10 PM)

#464888 - 01/20/19 08:37 PM Re: WiFi Access Point function on Genos and Tyros [Re: Harold123]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Harold, definitely sounds like FUN !
When you get a pic there are enough of us here to help you post it ...

#464911 - 01/21/19 08:30 AM Re: WiFi Access Point function on Genos and Tyros [Re: Harold123]
Harold123 Offline

Tony...Remember just few years ago when Don Mason and Gary Diamond Sponsored Forum Jams ( Kundos To Them)... What My Friend and I do is about the same thing only open to the Public...So many Seniors In Our Rural Area Just Don't have Any Offerings, most are on fixed Income and Maybe lost a Spouse.... .They Really Enjoy this...We Get great Satisfaction doing it...I know those who serve and Have Served The Seniors in Homes and any Senior setting Know Exactly what I'm explaining...I kid Some People(not our Guest) We try to provide Music and Fun before the Seniors have to Move to a Home/center...Any Questions are Welcome to All...Sorry For taking this Post so much in this Direction...Sincerely Harold From Northwestern Pa

Edited by Harold123 (01/21/19 08:31 AM)

#464993 - 01/22/19 08:00 AM Re: WiFi Access Point function on Genos and Tyros [Re: jimlaing]
MacAllcock Offline

Loc: Preston, Lancashire, England
Harold - since we went to an external router with the X18 and connecting using the 5G band then connection to the mixer has been rock solid.

The mixer itself has been excellent. Very occasionally doesnt boot up properly and you have to turn off and on again. Only niggle is that it doesn't have a discrete effect on/off footswitch. Trying to accurately hit the echo mute on a touchscreen sometimes demonstrates that touchscreen interfaces are not quite so effective if you just make a quick jab at the "button".

Being able to wander around a venue and tweak the sound instantly is really good.

I'm not sure that the free Behringer software is available for an iPhone. I think there is a 3rd party paid-for app that does this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online