SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#464080 - 01/02/19 07:17 AM Re: Can't Believe This Actually Happened! [Re: Riceroni9]
Jerryghr Offline

Loc: Buffalo, NY
Originally Posted By Riceroni9
Makes me wonder what Arranger Artists will be asked to play 50 years from now?

50 years from now the question will be "What the hell is an Arranger?" smile

Jerryghr

#464081 - 01/02/19 07:27 AM Re: Can't Believe This Actually Happened! [Re: Jerryghr]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By Jerryghr

Jerryghr

50 years?.... they are already saying that already! rotf2 seriously frown

#464082 - 01/02/19 07:46 AM Re: Can't Believe This Actually Happened! [Re: Dnj]
Jerryghr Offline

Loc: Buffalo, NY
Originally Posted By Dnj

Jerryghr

50 years?.... they are already saying that already! rotf2 seriously frown

On our New Tears Eve gig we played the early shift for the dancers, followed by a younger rock group.

The group that followed us came in early and listened to us. As I was packing up they came over to compliment us on the sounds coming from a duo. They couldn't believe what they were hearing.

They never heard of an "Arranger" and were quite impressed with it. I know that they aren't going to run out and get one. Besides they aren't sold at the local Guitar Center. smile

Enjoy em' while you can, and be thankful for the work we are getting.

Jerryghr

#464083 - 01/02/19 07:58 AM Re: Can't Believe This Actually Happened! [Re: Jerryghr]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA

Enjoy em' while you can, and be thankful for the work we are getting.
Jerryghr

+ 1

#464085 - 01/02/19 08:30 AM Re: Can't Believe This Actually Happened! [Re: hammer]
Bill Lewis Offline

Loc: Bluffton/Hilton Head SC USA
Changed channels between football and the NYE shows. They were so boring with the announcers trying to be funny and kill time. I didn't know any of the performers or songs until the last one by Christine Aguilera. She can still sing ( yell ? )
What I did notice was the bands playing in the pouring rain. I know it was all taped music but it must have been a well paying gig to bring your multiple keyboard setup out in the rain and have it get soaked. I was watching the rain pour off the edges of Christine's keyboard player. And rain ain't too good for a guitar either if I'm correct.
Do any of you think that maybe the backline rental companies have non-functioing boards and dummy instruments for such occasions ?

#464087 - 01/02/19 08:53 AM Re: Can't Believe This Actually Happened! [Re: Bill Lewis]
tony mads usa Offline

Originally Posted By Bill Lewis

Do any of you think that maybe the backline rental companies have non-functioing boards and dummy instruments for such occasions ?

Bill, I hadn't thought of that, but it is quite possible ... There was one point when I saw the top of a Grand Piano with puddles of water on it !!! ...
I can't believe that there can't be some arrangement where these entertainers have a covering over their heads ... and while it looked liked Diana Ross was performing at the ice rink in Rockefeller Center, I didn't see any rain falling down on her ... perhaps Diana even has power over Mother Nature grin ...
While I figured the background music was recorded, it did seem to me that a lot of the singers WERE actually singing ... and Sting looked liked he had his eyes fixed on a lyric monitor for most of his performance ...

As for the 'banality' of the hosts' 'fill the dead air' comments, I could not help but feel that the next day they would wake up like the drunk at the office Christmas party, saying "Oh no, did I REALLY do that?!?"

#464089 - 01/02/19 09:19 AM Re: Can't Believe This Actually Happened! [Re: hammer]
montunoman Offline

Loc: Dallas, Texas
Señor Hammer,

I do find that the music of the 70’s goes over very well at the nursing home and senior venues. Barry Whites “Love Theme” is a great instrumental, Copacabana works well as an instrumental too. For the Eagles, Hotel California works great as an instrumental too. I have a fake book published by Warner Brothers called the “Classic Rock Fake Book” Also Hal Leonard has produced a good series of “Pop Real Books” with the music the 70’s to today in lead sheet format.

But really you should give singing a try! I used to do all instrumental too, but once I started singing just a few years ago ( with no prior training) I felt like i connected much more with the audiences and got much more compliments and more business despite not having the greatest voice. If you can sing in tune
there’s no reason you should be singing at your shows!

www.youtube.com/channel/UCV94i--V-A8kZShmGTKyDOw

https://www.facebook.com/elgrupocache

#464090 - 01/02/19 09:26 AM Re: Can't Believe This Actually Happened! [Re: montunoman]
tony mads usa Offline

Deanne ... + 1 on the recommendations to add more vocals to your performances ... Instrumentals are beautiful, but one can pour forth a lot more emotion with vocals ...

#464091 - 01/02/19 09:27 AM Re: Can't Believe This Actually Happened! [Re: hammer]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
I've heard Deane sing and he sings VERY well. Same with Paul.

#464092 - 01/02/19 09:31 AM Re: Can't Believe This Actually Happened! [Re: hammer]
124 Offline

Sing your heart out. They love it as it's the human element in the sea of synthesis. It connects on that human level. People don't 'sing' instrumentals, there's just not much emotional connection to them. Net result is that most instrumentals on an arranger, unless the player is exceptional, are going to register closer to elevator music more than anything else.

Instrumentals have their place but are mainly for background. Vocals put the 'you' out there.

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online