SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#463864 - 12/28/18 03:52 PM Genos Knobs - modified
jimlaing Offline

Loc: Raleigh, NC
Hi - here is my 2nd project (after doing the Drawbars project) - my first attempt to add small white lines on the 6 Knobs of the Genos. Attaching before and after pictures. For this first attempt, I used parts of small vinyl letters (white), cut to size (I used a capital "I" cut in half for most of them!) When I do my 2nd Genos, I may try something different - I may even paint ½ of the knobs white and add a black line, and alternate them?! [I bought some more knobs from Yamaha to have as spares or in case I sell someday and the buyer wants original, unaltered knobs]

Jim (3 photos)

Attachments
Genos Knobs original-sm.jpg

Genos Knobs white lines-sm.jpg

Genos Knobs white dark-sm.jpg

#463865 - 12/28/18 04:18 PM Re: Genos Knobs - modified [Re: jimlaing]
Riceroni9 Offline

Loc: TX, USA
Hi Jim:

I hope they are paying attention at Yamaha. Nice touch! Happy New Year!

#463866 - 12/28/18 04:48 PM Re: Genos Knobs - modified [Re: Riceroni9]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Very nice job ...
For the price of the Genos one would think it would come like that ...

#463873 - 12/29/18 04:18 AM Re: Genos Knobs - modified [Re: jimlaing]
Bachus Offline

Maybe you should make a how to video?

Or do you plan to sell them?

Edited by Bachus (12/29/18 04:19 AM)

http://keyszone.boards.net

#463874 - 12/29/18 05:17 AM Re: Genos Knobs - modified [Re: jimlaing]
Togge Offline

Very nice!

#463878 - 12/29/18 08:36 AM Re: Genos Knobs - modified [Re: jimlaing]
jimlaing Offline

Loc: Raleigh, NC
Hi - I don't plan to sell them ... they are easy to do. I of course first bought some extra knobs from Yamaha first, in case I messed things up. That wasn't necessary, but I did it in case I decided to paint some knobs [I may later experiment with painting some knobs white and adding a black "line" just for fun.]

I did this on a table (knobs not on the Genos). I used ¼" vinyl letters (the kind you can buy in most good-sized office supplies stores (or online). I used the capital "I" letter, which is basically a white line ... and put it on the edge of an X-acto knife. I cut it to size (somewhat "by eye"; no measuring) to make a white "line" about the size needed for the knob.

Then using the X-acto knife and a bent-open paper clip, I placed the "line" (part of the letter "I") into place on the knob. It is a bit tricky to get it in the exact right place - but the X-acto knife helps here; moving it around and "tucking it in" (pushing it in a bit) to place. . .

Jim

#463884 - 12/29/18 09:21 AM Re: Genos Knobs - modified [Re: jimlaing]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Very creative, Jim. As for getting ANY manufacturer to go along with modifications, they really don't want to hear that they didn't do something right the first time around. I went through this with Rock And Roller when I redesigned the top tier for my R-10. The top shelf they came up with was heavy, very difficult to install, took up lots of room in the van and expensive. I came up with something very simple, easy to attach, very lightweight and inexpensive. I talked with the guy that actually designed the top rack - he could have cared less and pretty much told me he was the engineer, I didn't know what I was doing and to go F off and hung up the phone. Same thing happened when I offered to rewrite some user manuals for Yamaha and Lowrance. They never even responded to my letters or emails on the subject. Anyone that has sat down with a Yamaha arranger keyboard user manual will tell you it is a nightmare in print. Same is true for Lowrance GPS/Plotter user manuals - they may as well be written in an ancient language - horribly written.

Good luck,

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#463891 - 12/29/18 10:53 AM Re: Genos Knobs - modified [Re: travlin'easy]
Bachus Offline

Originally Posted By travlin'easy
Very creative, Jim. As for getting ANY manufacturer to go along with modifications, they really don't want to hear that they didn't do something right the first time around. I went through this with Rock And Roller when I redesigned the top tier for my R-10. The top shelf they came up with was heavy, very difficult to install, took up lots of room in the van and expensive. I came up with something very simple, easy to attach, very lightweight and inexpensive. I talked with the guy that actually designed the top rack - he could have cared less and pretty much told me he was the engineer, I didn't know what I was doing and to go F off and hung up the phone. Same thing happened when I offered to rewrite some user manuals for Yamaha and Lowrance. They never even responded to my letters or emails on the subject. Anyone that has sat down with a Yamaha arranger keyboard user manual will tell you it is a nightmare in print. Same is true for Lowrance GPS/Plotter user manuals - they may as well be written in an ancient language - horribly written.

Good luck,

Gary

I am a strong believer that companies that dont listen to their customers in some form are doomed to die... even popular companies can’t escape such fate in the long run..

#463922 - 12/30/18 06:33 AM Re: Genos Knobs - modified [Re: jimlaing]
Dnj Offline

looks nice BUT,..Might be a mistake when genos 2 comes out and you try to sell it altered like that....
unless you can reverse the process.

#463942 - 12/30/18 01:01 PM Re: Genos Knobs - modified [Re: Dnj]
Bachus Offline

Originally Posted By Dnj
looks nice BUT,..Might be a mistake when genos 2 comes out and you try to sell it altered like that....
unless you can reverse the process.

If you would have read, you would know he ordered a spate set of knobs and has the orriginal ones in his desk..

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online