SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#463860 - 12/28/18 12:23 PM A bit of marketing genius in Genos
guitpic1 Offline

Loc: Missouri
Guess I never thought of it before.....

I went on YouTube looking at tips/instructions for Genos.

The choices were endless..

Tons of folks selling Genos or styles/voices/programming for Genos that you could buy.

All had the best way to make "Your Genos work for you."

Gotta hand it to Yamaha. There are tons of 3rd parties out there, not related to Yamaha, helping Yamaha succeed.

Very smart.

smile

#463903 - 12/29/18 04:08 PM Re: A bit of marketing genius in Genos [Re: guitpic1]
Dnj Offline

The only bit of marketing genius in Genos is that they got people to pay $5k for an arranger kb worth far less.

coffee

#463904 - 12/29/18 04:51 PM Re: A bit of marketing genius in Genos [Re: guitpic1]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Oh, I don't know, Donny. There are folks willing to pay more than $20,000 for B3 with MK2, and how about the other organ guys that were selling them for up to $70,000 in the malls to little old ladies. You may not be willing to shell out $4,200 for a Genos, but there are lots of folks that have, even on this forum, and they don't regret paying the price. smile

I clearly remember sinking a bundle into my Commodore 64 computer with a floppy drive and dot matrix printer, then later shelling out nearly $4,000 for an IBM PC Laptop that weighed nearly 20 pounds and the battery was only good for 2 hours at most. Didn't regret either purchase and made lots of money from both systems. smile

Remember, you were always the person saying keyboards pay for themselves in just a few weeks. wink

Happy New Year, old friend,

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#463905 - 12/29/18 05:38 PM Re: A bit of marketing genius in Genos [Re: guitpic1]
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
Add me to those who paid well under $5000 for a Genos let’s say closer to $4000 I don’t regret it one bit. I use it for gigs regularly, my audiences like what they hear, I like what I hear and I won’t be on this earth forever. I always keep in mind the male side of my family have not lived to a ripe old age, dad was 64 when he died I’m on the verge of 67 so I’ve got 3 more years than my dad did. Life is too short.

When I worked for Avery Piano in Providence in the mid-70s I’ll never forgot a couple came in saw the high gloss white Chickering Baby Grand piano we had for sale. Cost at the time was about $5000, neither one played it was just a show piece for their home. There was one stipulation to the sale they had to get at least one piece of sheet music to place on the music rack so it looked like someone did play. Another amusing story is my wife’s cousin and her husband are very successful in the fire sprinkler/suppression business. Neither one played but they loved to hear me play piano so they went out and bought a baby grand for their living room so that when we visited they could hear me play. They had a daughter who took lessons for about a year but really had no interest in music. The piano sits there today and when we visit I usually sit and play a few tunes, sad part they just don’t really keep it tuned and serviced like they should.

Happy New Year to all SZ members!

Edited by Stephenm52 (12/29/18 05:42 PM)

#463906 - 12/29/18 05:40 PM Re: A bit of marketing genius in Genos [Re: guitpic1]
Riceroni9 Offline

Loc: TX, USA
Amazing when we consider all the major technological "advances" that happened within the last 25 or 30 years. Most made possible by an engineer at Texas Instruments in the form of the micro-chip.

Speaking of computers (and I've owned more than a few)... one of my favorites was the Commodore Amiga. It had the same master chip as the Apple MacIntosh but could run rings around most of the PCs and other machines available at that time. Remember when a 1 MB Hard Drive was the size of a brick and cost nearly $500. bucks?

When it comes to Keyboards, I know so little... sticking mainly to Yamaha PSR models beginning with the 2000, then a 910 and finally a 970. I took a brief tangent with a Korg Micro Arranger but lacked the patience to learn how to properly use it. Sure sounded good for such a small gizmo.

Looking backwards from a very limited perspective... it appears to me that most of the Yamaha Arranger advancements have been in software and firmware. Most of the layouts are strikingly similar... and thus easier for an old geezer to adapt in an upgrade. I do wish they would work on the pricing to make these marvelous units more affordable for young talents.

Happy New Year, everyone from West Mayberry!

Edited by Riceroni9 (12/29/18 05:42 PM)
Edit Reason: spelling

#463913 - 12/29/18 10:36 PM Re: A bit of marketing genius in Genos [Re: guitpic1]
Bachus Offline

Originally Posted By guitpic1
Guess I never thought of it before.....

I went on YouTube looking at tips/instructions for Genos.

The choices were endless..

Tons of folks selling Genos or styles/voices/programming for Genos that you could buy.

All had the best way to make "Your Genos work for you."

Gotta hand it to Yamaha. There are tons of 3rd parties out there, not related to Yamaha, helping Yamaha succeed.

Very smart.

smile

Most 3rd party libraries come from other instruments
Kapro comes from korg kronos(also got converted to montage)
Easy sounds comes from yamaha montage

Yet there is still no grand piano librarie

http://keyszone.boards.net

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online