SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#463877 - 12/29/18 07:58 AM Opinion on QSC powered speakers?
mweuch Offline

Am debating on purchasing two QSC 12.2 speakers to use with the Genos. Reviews on these speakers are very good but wanted to see if anyone here have used them in person or have any experience with them. Thanks and happy new years to all.

*** mod please move this post if posted in the wrong place ***

#463881 - 12/29/18 09:06 AM Re: Opinion on QSC powered speakers? [Re: mweuch]
montunoman Offline

Loc: Dallas, Texas
I never tried them out either but from what I hear they seem be among the top rated speakers in their price range. I’m sure your Genos will sound amazing through those speakers!

I think Uncle has some 12 QSC speakers. Hopefully he’ll chime in soon.

www.youtube.com/channel/UCV94i--V-A8kZShmGTKyDOw

https://www.facebook.com/elgrupocache

#463882 - 12/29/18 09:12 AM Re: Opinion on QSC powered speakers? [Re: mweuch]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
I assume this is the outfit you are talking about:

Keep in mind this is a conventional sound system, which has a significant amount of falloff. This means the audience members sitting closest to the speakers will experience uncomfortable volume levels, while audience members just 100 feet away may hear only half that volume.

With all the positive information posted on this site and others about linear array systems, Bose L1, etc..., I am at a loss to why someone would consider a conventional sound system, especially for an arranger keyboard as incredible sounding as a Genos. Just doesn't make good sense to me. Having owned many conventional sound systems in the past, some exceeding 3000 watts, I would never go back to one after using a line array system.

Good luck on whatever you decide upon,

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#463883 - 12/29/18 09:18 AM Re: Opinion on QSC powered speakers? [Re: mweuch]
Dnj Offline

Edited by Dnj (12/29/18 10:56 AM)

#463886 - 12/29/18 09:34 AM Re: Opinion on QSC powered speakers? [Re: travlin'easy]
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Originally Posted By travlin'easy

Keep in mind this is a conventional sound system, which has a significant amount of falloff. This means the audience members sitting closest to the speakers will experience uncomfortable volume levels, while audience members just 100 feet away may hear only half that volume.

With all the positive information posted on this site and others about linear array systems, Bose L1, etc..., I am at a loss to why someone would consider a conventional sound system, especially for an arranger keyboard as incredible sounding as a Genos. Just doesn't make good sense to me. Having owned many conventional sound systems in the past, some exceeding 3000 watts, I would never go back to one after using a line array system.

Gary cool

Gary for the same reasons you mention , the "conventional" system has advantages..If you know how to use them smile

Example , setting up in front of a dance floor, that needs the attention, only a conventional system can give.. and a moderate drop off control to tables beyond the dance floor.., where folks want to hear but also talk.. and pleasing the dance crowd on the floor..

Personally I have not found an array system that would make me change from my system.. The stereo factor alone dismisses the array for me..

#463887 - 12/29/18 09:49 AM Re: Opinion on QSC powered speakers? [Re: travlin'easy]
mweuch Offline

Thanks Mr easy. I guess because I never used an array system and just scared of how they may turn out and the hustle of returning them in case they are not for me. I probably should try them out. Thank you

#463888 - 12/29/18 10:01 AM Re: Opinion on QSC powered speakers? [Re: Fran Carango]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Originally Posted By Fran Carango

Gary cool

Gary for the same reasons you mention , the "conventional" system has advantages..If you know how to use them smile

Example , setting up in front of a dance floor, that needs the attention, only a conventional system can give.. and a moderate drop off control to tables beyond the dance floor.., where folks want to hear but also talk.. and pleasing the dance crowd on the floor..

Personally I have not found an array system that would make me change from my system.. The stereo factor alone dismisses the array for me..

Can't disagree Fran, although I love the line arrays for what I do. The stereo issue is easy, just use two units!

#463889 - 12/29/18 10:17 AM Re: Opinion on QSC powered speakers? [Re: mweuch]
travlin'easy Offline

Fran, I know you really old guys have problems changing to these new fangled systems, but for the vast majority of entertainers throughout the world, they do a fantastic job. And, as DonM said, just use two if you insist on stereo. I frequently used a pair of Bose L1 Compacts for larger crowds of 200 or more ppl and they sounded awesome. Additionally, with virtually no falloff, the line array systems allow you to play at lower volumes for EVERYONE in the room, and not blast the heads off those closest to the sound system, which is commonplace with conventional sound systems, particularly when performing in larger venues. Having owned more than two dozen conventional sound systems in my lifetime, I would never use anything other than a line array system.

Good luck,

Gary cool

#463892 - 12/29/18 11:06 AM Re: Opinion on QSC powered speakers? [Re: mweuch]
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
To answer the QSC question, I couldn't warm up to the QSC sound.. I found them harsh, not unlike other high power speakers (Podium Pro etc).. They are loud, not the misleading numbers companies are posting though..

Don, the problem with two arrays in stereo... as I mentioned many times... voice cancellation..

I think that 90 degree is more than enough dispersment..180-360 degree is way overkill.. and asking for problems.

I still use old Roland Cube 100's that have the sound and capability that I need/want.. and with added mixer (Edirol) it runs with the output of the QSC and others.. As for numbers Roland rates the Cubes at 100 watts... Just compare the Roland 100 watts to the 2,000 watt QSC.... What a joke!!!

One of the most pleasing speakers, with a warm even sound that fills a room is the Marantz voice rover..

Where Gary is using the Bose Compact, I find I can get the same results with the Marantz..(it has a 10 inch long throw woofer, and a wide horn)..

#463895 - 12/29/18 12:04 PM Re: Opinion on QSC powered speakers? [Re: travlin'easy]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Fran, I know you really old guys have problems changing to these new fangled systems, ...
Good luck,
Gary cool

Wow ... so it's an AGE thing ?!? ... surprised

The fact is that DIFFERENT sound systems/keyboards/microphones/houses/cars/boats/WHATEVER appeal differently to different people ...
I have been using my Podium 10s for years, and they STILL are great for the type of work I do ... I use one for smaller groups - up to 80 people or so, and 2 for larger crowds than that ... a few weeks ago we played for 2 crowds of over 150 people and they were more than sufficient - the dance floor was filled and the folks beyond the dance floor heard the music fine (we could tell by their interaction), but could still converse with each other at a comfortable level ...
Of course, these are not people looking for the 'ear-splitting, chest pounding' dance music of the under 50 crowd ... I have recently been to a couple of venues where most of the attendees were in the under 50 category ... the DJ in one place and the band in another all used 'conventional' systems and the dance floor was really loud, but the drop off to the tables beyond the dance floor was acceptable ... I would think that if these two venues were using line array systems to produce the affect they wanted on the dance floor, the music in the rest of the room would have been too loud ...

So IMHO the bottom line is use what works best for you and your business ... there is no one perfect answer for anything ...

#463896 - 12/29/18 12:07 PM Re: Opinion on QSC powered speakers? [Re: mweuch]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
I have set up, started a recording and walked all over the room and can't hear any noise cancellation. I know that in theory it should be there, but in reality if I can't hear it, I guess it isn't noticeable.
Although some sounds are panned center, including voice, many are panned left or right to varying degrees and therefore shouldn't be affected unless they happen to share an exact same wave length.
Could it be that noise cancellation is more noticeable on conventional speakers than it is on the line arrays?
I do recall having two passive speakers in my club, where it was necessary to move one of them a little because of this factor.
If I were regularly playing for more dancers that want to really feel the thump, then conventional speakers might be more in order, particularly, as Fran noted, if you wanted the sound level to fall off.
And, despite what the manufacturers say, there IS some falloff. It is not as loud at the end of the room as it is ten feet away. However the sound throughout the room remains at a listenable level much better with line array.

#463897 - 12/29/18 01:34 PM Re: Opinion on QSC powered speakers? [Re: mweuch]
Bill Lewis Offline

Loc: Bluffton/Hilton Head SC USA
The bueaty of the line arrays is the clarity and dispersion you get. I've used combinations of (1) JBL EON One ( just did a brunch at a CC ), two for larger events and STEREO !, ( last few weeks I've been playing Christmas music for the merchants in Bluffton's shopping district OUTSIDE !. Never had so many people compliment me AND specifically my sound system. ) and just last week used two with my small Behringer sub for a DJ dance party in a bowling alley where I had to do a bunch of Hip Hop.
My keyboard never sounded better and singing is so much easier with the clarity and coverage. No monitor needed.
I will never go back to speaker "Boxes" again.
Get two JBL Eon Ones, and enjoy. Your back will like them too. You will be very surprized by the sound quality over conventional speakers and Yes, you can always send them back but I bet you won't.

Edited by Bill Lewis (12/29/18 01:39 PM)

#463898 - 12/29/18 01:36 PM Re: Opinion on QSC powered speakers? [Re: Bill Lewis]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By Bill Lewis
The bueaty of the line arrays is the clarity and dispersion you get. I've used combinations of (1) JBL EON One ( just did a brunch at a CC ) , two for larger rooms and STEREO !, and just last week used two with my small Behringer sub for a DJ dance party in a bowling alley where I had to do a bunch of Hip Hop.
My keyboard never sounded better and singing is so much easier with the clarity and coverage. No monitor needed.
I will never go back to speaker "Boxes" again.
Get two JBL Eon Ones, and enjoy. Your back will like them too. You will be very surprized by the sound quality over conventional speakers and Yes, you can always send them back but I bet you won't.

+1

#463901 - 12/29/18 03:47 PM Re: Opinion on QSC powered speakers? [Re: mweuch]
travlin'easy Offline

It was many years ago when Fran and I went to see Uncle Dave Boyd performing in an Italian restaurant, one that was an incredible challenge for any sound system. Dave was using his Bose L1 PAS system, one that he had recently put into service. The restaurant had a horseshoe, circular shaped bar in the middle, and two dining rooms off to each side of the bar, separated by half walls for about 1/3rd of the length of each. It was an extremely large venue, Dave was situated on a small stage just a foot above floor level, the place was packed, and he was just four feet away from the nearest patron.

Fran and I were situated in the west dining room, behind a wall and could not see Dave at all. However, I could hear him performing very well, yet we were able to hold a conversation at normal voice levels. The quality of the music was incredibly crisp, clear and clean. You could clearly hear every instrument of the keyboard, both style and right hand, and the realism was absolutely incredible, yet we were situated more than 70 feet away, partly behind a wall. I was really impressed. That 10-inch sub was more than enough to provide all the bottom end any venue I've attended would require.

I got out of my seat and walked throughout the entire venue, the volume was pretty much equal throughout, yet it was never overpowering and quite comfortable at any location in the entire restaurant. The clincher was when I walked up to the stage while Dave was performing a light rock song and singing. As I approached closer and closer, the volume did not get louder. In fact, I actually placed my ear against the sound column and the volume remained constant. I was hooked, and called Bose the following morning and ordered an identical system.

At the time I was using a pair of Barbetta Sona 32SC powered speakers that I had purchased just 6 months earlier in a music store that was only a few miles from where UD was performing that night. They were a bit step up from the insanely heavy Peavey SP5Gs I was hefting onto poles two years prior to that. As I said earlier, I have owned more than a dozen of the top brand conventional sound systems prior to the Bose. At the time, they all sounded great, but they were all pale in comparison to the Bose.

The only reason I sold my Bose L1 PAS system was the total weight was 92 pounds, about 30 pounds for each segment. When I switched to the Bose L1 Compact, I knew that there would be some loss of overall quality, but in reality, the difference was insignificant because I was performing to smaller audiences, usually just 60 to 100 ppl at most, therefore I didn't really need the power of the PAS system.

Now, I, like DonM, have never experienced problems with phase cancellation when using 2 systems in stereo, and because I was warned this could be a problem, I checked for this at every venue where I performed. I remember Scott Yee talking about this, especially using his Yamaha piano voices, which are heavily, stereo sampled. I created a mono piano voice that many individuals on this and other forums have downloaded, which I felt added a lot more depth to Yamaha's piano voices. Other folks, apparently, agreed.

Now, I know Fran will not purchase anything unless it has the Roland trademark boldly imprinted on it. That night, though, while listening to UD perform, I think he was quite impressed as well, but would never admit it in public. wink Later that evening, Fran and I went to see Donny performing for a large crowd in Brick, NJ, where the dancefloor was packed to capacity and he had a pair of monster speakers perched on poles. For those of you that have been here a while, you know that DNJ changed sound systems as frequently as some folks change their socks. The next time I saw him performing, he had a Bose PAS. Six months later, while I was cruising around the country in my van, I saw Don Mason on stage with a Bose PAS. 600 miles to the southeast was where Eddie Shoemaker (Btweengigs) was on stage and wowing his crowds with Bose PAS. When I got back home, I was at my Daughter's church where 4 wall mounted PAS towers filled the 600 seat church with incredible sounding music from the church choir and band.

I guess my point is, line array systems have been around for quite a while and while they were initially used in large theaters, they have, IMHO, really changed the world of small band and OMB performers by providing us with incredibly clear, crisp, wonderful sounds, with outstanding dispersion at lower volumes that we were never able to achieve with our older, conventional sound systems of years past.

Fortunately, I'm now retired and no longer shopping for a sound system. But, if I were, I would do the same thing I did so many years ago. Jump in my van, get the kids to watch the cat, and Carol and I would spend a month driving around the country listening to dozens of Synthzone and PSR Tutorial performers, live and on stage. Hell, I would even drive to New England to hear Tony. wink

As I said earlier, good luck on whatever you decide upon,

Gary cool

Edited by travlin'easy (12/29/18 03:48 PM)

#463907 - 12/29/18 05:47 PM Re: Opinion on QSC powered speakers? [Re: mweuch]
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By mweuch
Am debating on purchasing two QSC 12.2 speakers to use with the Genos. Reviews on these speakers are very good but wanted to see if anyone here have used them in person or have any experience with them. Thanks and happy new years to all.

*** mod please move this post if posted in the wrong place ***

I know nothing about QSC but I believe Frankieve is or was a dealer. Give Frank a call and he’ll give you his experience with them not only as a dealer but as a musician.

http://audioworksct.com

203-876-1133

#463910 - 12/29/18 08:17 PM Re: Opinion on QSC powered speakers? [Re: Stephenm52]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Gary, I hope you are getting a commission from BOSE because you certainly spend a lot of time 'selling' them ... wink
I don't think anyone 'put down' BOSE or other line array systems - at least, what I was saying was that there could be applications where other types of speakers might work better ...
And yes, Fran may be a Roland guy, but I know someone on this forum who thinks Yamaha and BOSE are the 'be all and end all' ... wink
And come up anytime ...

#463911 - 12/29/18 08:25 PM Re: Opinion on QSC powered speakers? [Re: tony mads usa]
Dnj Offline

Edited by Dnj (12/30/18 06:34 AM)

#463923 - 12/30/18 06:38 AM Re: Opinion on QSC powered speakers? [Re: Dnj]
Dnj Offline

#463959 - 12/30/18 07:51 PM Re: Opinion on QSC powered speakers? [Re: mweuch]
mweuch Offline

Thank you everyone for all the responses! Ive decided to rent them and try them out first and see how they fit my needs and how they sounded with the Genos. So far the salesman at GC is telling me they are the best but hes probably just trying to make a sale. Thank you all and have a safe Happy New Year!

#463961 - 12/30/18 08:37 PM Re: Opinion on QSC powered speakers? [Re: mweuch]
Torch Offline

I don’t have the K 12.2 but the K 8.2. I was looking into buying the RCF TT08-A – an 8 inch speaker $2,000 each, but a guy who owns both QSC K8.2 and the TT08A says the K8.2 is 80 % of what RCF can do. I never liked the 1st version of the QSC K series. Too harsh. The 2nd version seems to be a big improvement as many say in comparison with the 2nd version. Prostar Audio was a having an 18% sale just about across the board. So I purchased the K8.2. Solid sounds. I use it along with my Centerpoint Stereo Spacestation V3.
"You Shall Know the Truth, and the Truth will set you free." John 8:32

#464046 - 01/01/19 11:25 AM Re: Opinion on QSC powered speakers? [Re: mweuch]
shueymusic Offline

Loc: Lebanon, PA
I too have the K8.2 stereo pair. I did add the QSC KS112 powered sub because I was missing the punch or bottom.

Now, right before Christmas, I just came across a great deal.
On the same day, I got an offer on my RCF ART 312a mkII speakers... the guy paid cash. Three hours later, I sold my pair of RCF ART 310a mkII speakers. I wanted to upgrade my 12” speakers and I found a deal on Facebook Marketplace for an open box RCF ART 732a mk4 with cases for only $680 a box. I sold 4 speakers from 2010 to buy 2 new 12” speakers.

I had 2 gigs with them and the sound great... much better with my Genos compared to the QSC K12.2.

Only 40 lbs... “1400w”... the cases can stay on the speaker and you can still but them on the pole... lower crossover point for better bass and clean highs. Great sounding box! $600 per speaker and $80 per case. The RCF ART 732a are normally $899 per speaker. Also check out the RCF HD12A compared to the QSC K12.2.

Have fun!!
Yamaha Genos - RCF M20x - RCF HD10A (Stereo) - Jupiter Pocket Trumpet - Sennheiser e935 - Neumann KMS-104 plus-N

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online