SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#463877 - 12/29/18 07:58 AM Opinion on QSC powered speakers?
mweuch Offline

Am debating on purchasing two QSC 12.2 speakers to use with the Genos. Reviews on these speakers are very good but wanted to see if anyone here have used them in person or have any experience with them. Thanks and happy new years to all.

*** mod please move this post if posted in the wrong place ***

#463881 - 12/29/18 09:06 AM Re: Opinion on QSC powered speakers? [Re: mweuch]
montunoman Offline

Loc: Dallas, Texas
I never tried them out either but from what I hear they seem be among the top rated speakers in their price range. I’m sure your Genos will sound amazing through those speakers!

I think Uncle has some 12 QSC speakers. Hopefully he’ll chime in soon.

www.youtube.com/channel/UCV94i--V-A8kZShmGTKyDOw

https://www.facebook.com/elgrupocache

#463882 - 12/29/18 09:12 AM Re: Opinion on QSC powered speakers? [Re: mweuch]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
I assume this is the outfit you are talking about:

Keep in mind this is a conventional sound system, which has a significant amount of falloff. This means the audience members sitting closest to the speakers will experience uncomfortable volume levels, while audience members just 100 feet away may hear only half that volume.

With all the positive information posted on this site and others about linear array systems, Bose L1, etc..., I am at a loss to why someone would consider a conventional sound system, especially for an arranger keyboard as incredible sounding as a Genos. Just doesn't make good sense to me. Having owned many conventional sound systems in the past, some exceeding 3000 watts, I would never go back to one after using a line array system.

Good luck on whatever you decide upon,

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#463883 - 12/29/18 09:18 AM Re: Opinion on QSC powered speakers? [Re: mweuch]
Dnj Offline

Edited by Dnj (12/29/18 10:56 AM)

#463886 - 12/29/18 09:34 AM Re: Opinion on QSC powered speakers? [Re: travlin'easy]
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Originally Posted By travlin'easy

Keep in mind this is a conventional sound system, which has a significant amount of falloff. This means the audience members sitting closest to the speakers will experience uncomfortable volume levels, while audience members just 100 feet away may hear only half that volume.

With all the positive information posted on this site and others about linear array systems, Bose L1, etc..., I am at a loss to why someone would consider a conventional sound system, especially for an arranger keyboard as incredible sounding as a Genos. Just doesn't make good sense to me. Having owned many conventional sound systems in the past, some exceeding 3000 watts, I would never go back to one after using a line array system.

Gary cool

Gary for the same reasons you mention , the "conventional" system has advantages..If you know how to use them smile

Example , setting up in front of a dance floor, that needs the attention, only a conventional system can give.. and a moderate drop off control to tables beyond the dance floor.., where folks want to hear but also talk.. and pleasing the dance crowd on the floor..

Personally I have not found an array system that would make me change from my system.. The stereo factor alone dismisses the array for me..

#463887 - 12/29/18 09:49 AM Re: Opinion on QSC powered speakers? [Re: travlin'easy]
mweuch Offline

Thanks Mr easy. I guess because I never used an array system and just scared of how they may turn out and the hustle of returning them in case they are not for me. I probably should try them out. Thank you

#463888 - 12/29/18 10:01 AM Re: Opinion on QSC powered speakers? [Re: Fran Carango]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Originally Posted By Fran Carango

Gary cool

Gary for the same reasons you mention , the "conventional" system has advantages..If you know how to use them smile

Example , setting up in front of a dance floor, that needs the attention, only a conventional system can give.. and a moderate drop off control to tables beyond the dance floor.., where folks want to hear but also talk.. and pleasing the dance crowd on the floor..

Personally I have not found an array system that would make me change from my system.. The stereo factor alone dismisses the array for me..

Can't disagree Fran, although I love the line arrays for what I do. The stereo issue is easy, just use two units!

#463889 - 12/29/18 10:17 AM Re: Opinion on QSC powered speakers? [Re: mweuch]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Fran, I know you really old guys have problems changing to these new fangled systems, but for the vast majority of entertainers throughout the world, they do a fantastic job. And, as DonM said, just use two if you insist on stereo. I frequently used a pair of Bose L1 Compacts for larger crowds of 200 or more ppl and they sounded awesome. Additionally, with virtually no falloff, the line array systems allow you to play at lower volumes for EVERYONE in the room, and not blast the heads off those closest to the sound system, which is commonplace with conventional sound systems, particularly when performing in larger venues. Having owned more than two dozen conventional sound systems in my lifetime, I would never use anything other than a line array system.

Good luck,

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#463892 - 12/29/18 11:06 AM Re: Opinion on QSC powered speakers? [Re: mweuch]
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
To answer the QSC question, I couldn't warm up to the QSC sound.. I found them harsh, not unlike other high power speakers (Podium Pro etc).. They are loud, not the misleading numbers companies are posting though..

Don, the problem with two arrays in stereo... as I mentioned many times... voice cancellation..

I think that 90 degree is more than enough dispersment..180-360 degree is way overkill.. and asking for problems.

I still use old Roland Cube 100's that have the sound and capability that I need/want.. and with added mixer (Edirol) it runs with the output of the QSC and others.. As for numbers Roland rates the Cubes at 100 watts... Just compare the Roland 100 watts to the 2,000 watt QSC.... What a joke!!!

One of the most pleasing speakers, with a warm even sound that fills a room is the Marantz voice rover..

Where Gary is using the Bose Compact, I find I can get the same results with the Marantz..(it has a 10 inch long throw woofer, and a wide horn)..

#463895 - 12/29/18 12:04 PM Re: Opinion on QSC powered speakers? [Re: travlin'easy]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Fran, I know you really old guys have problems changing to these new fangled systems, ...
Good luck,
Gary cool

Wow ... so it's an AGE thing ?!? ... surprised

The fact is that DIFFERENT sound systems/keyboards/microphones/houses/cars/boats/WHATEVER appeal differently to different people ...
I have been using my Podium 10s for years, and they STILL are great for the type of work I do ... I use one for smaller groups - up to 80 people or so, and 2 for larger crowds than that ... a few weeks ago we played for 2 crowds of over 150 people and they were more than sufficient - the dance floor was filled and the folks beyond the dance floor heard the music fine (we could tell by their interaction), but could still converse with each other at a comfortable level ...
Of course, these are not people looking for the 'ear-splitting, chest pounding' dance music of the under 50 crowd ... I have recently been to a couple of venues where most of the attendees were in the under 50 category ... the DJ in one place and the band in another all used 'conventional' systems and the dance floor was really loud, but the drop off to the tables beyond the dance floor was acceptable ... I would think that if these two venues were using line array systems to produce the affect they wanted on the dance floor, the music in the rest of the room would have been too loud ...

So IMHO the bottom line is use what works best for you and your business ... there is no one perfect answer for anything ...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online