Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#463395 - 12/18/18 09:35 AM Best / Worst Christmas Song
Bill Lewis Offline

Loc: Bluffton/Hilton Head SC USA
Give a listen:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oc_a7nuc...ODjiabTv2iv2pHc

This was done by a bunch of studio musicians on a recording date just goofing around. But you gotta be pretty good to play so bad.
Memories of Spike Jones ? Made me smile.

I have it admit I'm tired of most Christmas music this year. One more Burl Ives Holly Jolly or Dominck the Donkey and I'm ready to damage my stereo.

Edited by Bill Lewis (12/18/18 09:39 AM)

#463396 - 12/18/18 09:53 AM Re: Best / Worst Christmas Song [Re: Bill Lewis]
Jerryghr Offline

Loc: Buffalo, NY
That's a great jazz version of Sleigh Ride. I was scattin' right along to it. laugh2

Jerryghr

Edited by Jerryghr (12/18/18 09:55 AM)

#463399 - 12/18/18 10:16 AM Re: Best / Worst Christmas Song [Re: Jerryghr]
Sapphire Online   content

Loc: Benfleet, Essex. UK
So glad I listened to that. I now know what I have been doing wrong

I must try to play plenty of bum notes and not keep in time with the drummer.

Bill, I have never heard of the two songs you mention but after youtubing them I can see the attraction of destroying the stereo.

Alan

Edited by Sapphire (12/18/18 11:06 AM)

#463402 - 12/18/18 11:35 AM Re: Best / Worst Christmas Song [Re: Bill Lewis]
SAM CA Offline

Loc: Los Angeles
Originally Posted By Bill Lewis

This was done by a bunch of studio musicians on a recording date just goofing around. But you gotta be pretty good to play so bad.....

True! Obviously they did it on purpose, but it's really hard to do so!

#463406 - 12/18/18 01:04 PM Re: Best / Worst Christmas Song [Re: SAM CA]
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Originally Posted By SAM CA

I think they just offset the individual instrument tracks. I'd like to see them do that with a three-voice delayed-entry (there's a name for that, I'm just having a brain fart) version of 'Row, Row, Row your boat' smile smile.

chas

Edited by cgiles (12/18/18 01:09 PM)

#463410 - 12/18/18 01:30 PM Re: Best / Worst Christmas Song [Re: Bill Lewis]
Jerry T Offline

Loc: Phila. 'burbs, Pa. USA
"One more Burl Ives Holly Jolly or Dominick the Donkey and I'm ready to damage my stereo."
I feel ya Bill, One more Christmas gig, already requests for Dominick 2 days out

#463411 - 12/18/18 01:34 PM Re: Best / Worst Christmas Song [Re: cgiles]
Bill Lewis Offline

Originally Posted By cgiles

I think they just offset the individual instrument tracks. I'd like to see them do that with a three-voice delayed-entry (there's a name for that, I'm just having a brain fart) version of 'Row, Row, Row your boat' smile smile.

chas

I think your making it way to complicated. Probably had a break in their recording schedule and just started fooling around. But it just comes off really funny.

#463412 - 12/18/18 01:36 PM Re: Best / Worst Christmas Song [Re: Jerry T]
Bill Lewis Offline

[quote=Jerry T] "One more Burl Ives Holly Jolly or Dominick the Donkey and I'm ready to damage my stereo."
I feel ya Bill, One more Christmas gig, already requests for Dominick 2 days out
[/quote

Oh man, a requseat for that !!! I've played a lot of stupid songs but for that one, time to go into DJ mode for a few songs and head to the bar.

#463419 - 12/18/18 02:41 PM Re: Best / Worst Christmas Song [Re: Bill Lewis]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA

chas

I think your making it way to complicated. Probably had a break in their recording schedule and just started fooling around. But it just comes off really funny.

I was thinking something similar to offsetting the individual tracks ...

chas - fugue ?

#463421 - 12/18/18 02:51 PM Re: Best / Worst Christmas Song [Re: Bill Lewis]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
[quote=Jerry T] "One more Burl Ives Holly Jolly or Dominick the Donkey and I'm ready to damage my stereo."
[/quote

Oh man, a requseat for that !!! I've played a lot of stupid songs but for that one, time to go into DJ mode for a few songs and head to the bar.

Hey, show some respect for my little Italian friend wink ... how would Santa Nicola get up the hills of Italy without him ???

Actually the folks in NH/AL venues really like singing along with Dominick ... Have fun with it - a nice Tarantella style, transpose one full step for each chorus, they'll LOVE it ...

I look at it this way ... the Christmas season only lasts a couple of weeks (although this year my first Christmas party with full sing-a-longs was Nov.18 ). .. the more I play these songs, means the more I am working ... after Dec 25 that playlist doesn't see the light of day until next year ... so enjoy !

#463424 - 12/18/18 03:01 PM Re: Best / Worst Christmas Song [Re: Bill Lewis]
Bill Lewis Offline

Kudos to you Tony. Thats being a pro, give em what they want no matter how much it hurts ! Its like Chas playig Mustang Sally for 45 minutes !! I bet the smiles and them singiing along along makes the song worthwhile so good for you for giving them some fun time . Good job and Merry Christmas.

#463426 - 12/18/18 03:08 PM Re: Best / Worst Christmas Song [Re: Bill Lewis]
Dnj Offline

Anyone that complains about playing music out should stay home.

#463429 - 12/18/18 04:20 PM Re: Best / Worst Christmas Song [Re: tony mads usa]
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Originally Posted By tony mads usa

chas

chas - fugue ?

No Tony, I think we used to call it ROUNDS. Here is a YT example:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ITvyJniLMGY

chas

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online