SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#463387 - 12/18/18 06:23 AM Re: Tragic Death [Re: DonM]
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Trust Donny to miss the whole point. Nothing new there. Anyhow, yes Dave, I've heard many versions of the song, both vocal and instrumental. I even play the song; I like it (as a song). I only used it to show how different people view things through different cultural lenses, and how one thing that is familiar and comfortable to you may not seem offensive at all while something foreign will seem totally disgusting ALTHOUGH THEY MAY BE BEARING THE SAME MESSAGE. Let's be honest here; 98% of older Whites are going to hate Rap; period. But guess what. So do 98% of old Black folks. Sure, there is a very large racial component, but there is also a large GENERATIONAL component. In the meantime, you get posts like the one above whose sole purpose is to exacerbate an already toxic subject. Some people are just incapable of seeing below the surface of a complex social issue. I tend to ignore the thoughts, opinions, and mostly, the posts of these people as they add little of value to the conversation. 'nuff said.

chas

#463388 - 12/18/18 06:31 AM Re: Tragic Death [Re: cgiles]
Dnj Offline

Chas your missing my point, ....certain sections of society create this false PC hypocritical state of mind where one way certain things are offensive but, then it's ok if others usually the same sections do and say the same thing without repercussions. Maybe Gary's right just get a bottle of Honey Jack and enjoy life without all the silly everyday drama. I am glad for one thing and that is channels on my Sirius radio in my truck so I can just set them and listen to what ever I want when I want as it should be.

#463389 - 12/18/18 07:04 AM Re: Tragic Death [Re: Dnj]
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Originally Posted By Dnj
Maybe Gary's right just get a bottle of Honey Jack and enjoy life without all the silly everyday drama.

Maybe life is that simple in your orbit but not in mine. Sadly, too many people in MY orbit do exactly what you propose....and nothing changes for the better.

Sorry if I misinterpreted your video post but I don't see how that video aligns with your explanation of it. I guess I'm just dense. But fine, if you meant well.

chas

#463391 - 12/18/18 07:30 AM Re: Tragic Death [Re: cgiles]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By cgiles
Originally Posted By Dnj
Maybe Gary's right just get a bottle of Honey Jack and enjoy life without all the silly everyday drama.

Maybe life is that simple in your orbit but not in mine. Sadly, too many people in MY orbit do exactly what you propose....and nothing changes for the better.

Sorry if I misinterpreted your video post but I don't see how that video aligns with your explanation of it. I guess I'm just dense. But fine, if you meant well.

chas

That's ok Chas, ........that said, right now all I care about is two weeks of enjoying time with the family over the holidays and being thankful for what I have and of course all the great food and drink!!
I hope your doing the same.

Happy Holidays

#463400 - 12/18/18 10:29 AM Re: Tragic Death [Re: cgiles]
bruno123 Online   content

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
Guy’s stop trying to prove that your opinion is the right one. The is no right one, they are JUST opinions made by someone with a different view.

I have had some tough days lately and I often use SynthZone to get past those days, please don’t MESS THAT UP.

Beat of everything for the holidays, John C.

#463403 - 12/18/18 11:36 AM Re: Tragic Death [Re: DonM]
sparky589 Offline

Loc: NJ
I think todays AND yesterdays music ref!ect lifestyles of the time. The same argument can be made for both; its not a defense for one or the other when the content is offensive. Maybe it's a media thing, but my point is we don't see the criticism aimed at current music. Pointing out the mistakes of history is easy, learning from them, and changing takes more effort. I didn't intend to paint rap with a broad brush, but to illustrate that songs that do offend are not only old, but are currently being created, and rewarded in contradiction to the current climate. And not getting negative press like an old Christmas song. THAT is the double standard I object to..
The music industry's answer is to label music with an explicit lyric warning; so its okay and socially acceptable as long as they tell you about the content? The #me too movement is now saying "No". So where's the backlash? Its about $$, sales, not social responsibility in the entertainment industry. The record companies, artists and consumers are not feeling guilty..because the money is rolling in.

Edited by sparky589 (12/18/18 11:43 AM)

#463414 - 12/18/18 01:52 PM Re: Tragic Death [Re: sparky589]
bruno123 Online   content

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
Sparky, well said, I didn’t think you were that smart –NICE! (smile)

I should have known from your: “The old I get the more I realize how good I was”. It says so much.

Sparky you’re a plus here, Merry Christmas.
John C.

#463479 - 12/20/18 01:38 AM Re: Tragic Death [Re: cgiles]
Nigel Offline
Admin

Loc: Ventura CA USA
Originally Posted By cgiles
Gee Nigel, what a coincidence. Gangsta's Paradise was also the first 'Rap' song I was able to warm up to. It's a classic and I still like it to this day. I'm just not a big fan of "put your hands in the air, act like you really don't care" type Rap (or HipHop - I'm not really sure what the difference is smile ).
chas

I think the difference is that unlike previous forms of musical entertainment the focus is much more on the vocal presentation rather than the musical instrumentation. If the vocal message isn't there then for me there is nothing. But when the vocal message IS there then it becomes a powerful force. Here is a 14 year old rapper whose father was a rapper who was murdered just before she was born. Her performance is profound and her father would be so proud of her.

#463480 - 12/20/18 01:46 AM Re: Tragic Death [Re: bruno123]
Nigel Offline
Admin

Loc: Ventura CA USA
Originally Posted By bruno123
It is not the type of music that offends people, it is how man uses that music that offends people.
All music has its place. They called some of the music of my time elevator music. The music did not cause that, it was man that caused it.
John C.

I LOVE elevator music. I dunno how many times I have been in an elevator where I can name the artist and track name ... because I have it in my own musical collection.

#463495 - 12/20/18 06:48 AM Re: Tragic Death [Re: DonM]
Dnj Offline

rotf2

Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online