kozykeys Offline

Loc: york england
Hey you Guys
anyone know how to open ST3 files
jan

#4629 - 11/02/02 02:46 PM Re: ST3 files
Cloakboy Offline

Loc: Racine, Wisconsin USA
ScreamTracker, ModPlug Player, Impulse Tracker and possibly Winamp will open ST3 files.

Try winamp first, if that doesn't work do a google search for ModPlug Player. ScreamTracker is the program that ST3 files are made in and ImpulseTracker can create either .IT or .ST3 files. Screamtracker only runs under DOS, and I think ImpulseTracker does too.

#4630 - 11/02/02 03:08 PM Re: ST3 files
Anonymous
Unregistered

Wasn't there some kind of utility that would "rip" S3M's from demos? I also remember an S3M to general midi converter. Cloakboy, ever mess w/ those?

#4631 - 11/02/02 03:20 PM Re: ST3 files
Cloakboy Offline

ModPlug player lets you rip tracker files to .wav files. You could probably do the same thing in WinAmp, just not as intuitively.

An s3m to MIDI utility was likely programmed by someone, but honestly it sounds ****ing useless to me. Trackers are really just grids by which to program what point in time a wav file plays back. Sure you can control the speed at which it plays back, and FastTracker and ImpulseTracker even incorporated envelopes, but the point is that tracking is based on samples. A MIDI file of note on commands would be useless.

Getting a real sampler and reconstructing the mod file and resequencing it is a long, tedious process. Believe me, I know, I've done it on a few songs. In the end I ended up just sampling phrases and playing those back. It would have actually taken less time to just make a whole new damn song than reconstructing an old mod one. A few of my more "out there" tracker songs just got bounced to wav and played back as a whole wav file, something I hated doing but didn't really have any other option.

#4632 - 11/02/02 03:32 PM Re: ST3 files
kozykeys Offline

Loc: york england
Sorry guys you are way over my head
tell me if you will are they worth bothering with
thanks for your help
jan

#4633 - 11/02/02 05:20 PM Re: ST3 files
Cloakboy Offline

Are they worth making? No.

Are they worth listening to? Depends on who made them. I say go for it. Just get Winamp or ModPlug Player (do a google search if you don't have them already) and listen.

Skaven does great stuff. He's prolly the most well known tracker, or at least he was when i was into mods and shit.

Moderator:  Admin, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online