SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#462973 - 12/12/18 10:14 AM Jingle Bells
IMMusic_Curt Offline

Loc: New Symrna Beach, Fl.
Can't post Christmas tunes and not include Jingle Bells! We continue with our Jazz Trio arrangements of Christmas tunes.

https://soundcloud.com/immusic/jingle-bells

#462992 - 12/12/18 02:10 PM Re: Jingle Bells [Re: IMMusic_Curt]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By IMMusic_Curt
Can't post Christmas tunes and not include Jingle Bells! We continue with our Jazz Trio arrangements of Christmas tunes.

How much of this is recorded with a computer DAW?
Thanks for sharing..

#462997 - 12/12/18 02:45 PM Re: Jingle Bells [Re: IMMusic_Curt]
IMMusic_Curt Offline

It was 100% recorded in a DAW. Who cares?

So I guess I don't understand the question. What difference does it make if we recorded/used some generic style on a Ketron/Roland/Korg/Yamaha-whatever (which is nothing more than some simple 2/4/8 bar loop) vs. actually programming our arrangement of a tune using a DAW?

Isn't it really about sharing and enjoying music regardless of the tools used? In our case we 100% record every single note you hear into a DAW. Nothing is copied from some "loop library" or downloaded from some other "xyz" site. It is nothing more than us sharing our craft with you.

Enjoy the current and future tunes we plan on sharing with all keyboard players.

Edited by IMMusic_Curt (12/13/18 03:58 AM)

#462999 - 12/12/18 03:18 PM Re: Jingle Bells [Re: IMMusic_Curt]
Dnj Offline

It was 100% recorded in a DAW. Who cares?

So I guess I don't understand the question. What difference does it make if we recorded/used some generic style on a Ketron/Roland/?Korg/Yamaha-whatever (which is nothing more than some simple 2/4/8 bar loop) vs. actually programming our arrangement of a tune using a DAW?

Isn't it really about sharing and enjoying music regardless of the tools used? In our case we 100% record every single note you hear into a DAW. Nothing is copied from some "loop library" or downloaded from some other "xyz" site. It is nothing more than us sharing our craft with you.

Enjoy the current and future tunes we plan on sharing with all keyboard players.

Maybe some people do care how it was recorded..
So maybe they can learn and do it themselves in a similar way to a point using Daw tools, fx, etc, etc, .... Arranger playing technics can differ greatly from one player to the next on different gear from simple style playing to complex Daw multitracking arrangements. Happy Holidays!

#463004 - 12/12/18 03:31 PM Re: Jingle Bells [Re: IMMusic_Curt]
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
Cool! I enjoyed the tune very nice!

#463030 - 12/13/18 04:25 AM Re: Jingle Bells [Re: Dnj]
IMMusic_Curt Offline

Maybe some people do care how it was recorded..
So maybe they can learn and do it themselves in a similar way to a point using Daw tools, fx, etc, etc, .... Arranger playing technics can differ greatly from one player to the next on different gear from simple style playing too complex Daw multitracking arrangements. Happy Holidays!

I did misunderstand your question. If you didn't see this video it shows a few bars of us recording one track at a time. Does that help with understanding the process we use?

https://youtu.be/sL4m-dDA3sQ

#463036 - 12/13/18 05:31 AM Re: Jingle Bells [Re: IMMusic_Curt]
bruno123 Online   content

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
I am very, very interested in different way that people use to create music. When I first saw the word DAW I had no idea what that was. Am in a part of my life where I pass by most of the new things that are presented to make room for the enjoyment of playing.

Now if DAW is what I think it is then Cakewalk and Sonar are Daw programs. If so I did work with these programs – and enjoyed doing it.

Curt, for me styles are annoying, the constant whatever. I play full chords with my left hand, but because I found a LAZY WAY OUT, I have been using the automatic chords with my right. I also programed a dedicated three switch on my Pa4x which cut out: 1-All accompaniments except drums and bass 2-bass 3- Drums. This gives me room to express myself. The keyboard becomes more of me.

In no way am I saying styles are not good. They are good, and sometimes needed, but I like finding new ways to deal with them.
The more I am open to all the ways of creating, the more creative I can be.

Opinion, John C.

#463041 - 12/13/18 06:24 AM Re: Jingle Bells [Re: IMMusic_Curt]
Bernie9 Online   content

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
I find this all very interesting, though a bit intimidating. For 50 years I have been performing on organ then arranger keyboards and vocal. I am always looking to improve something, and God knows I have had no trouble finding plenty of areas that have needed improvement. I have added new material, new keyboards,and different combinations of them. I play with two full hands and have reached a plateau. Recently, I added harmonicas and a harmonica midi breathe controller. This is all well and good, but it is time to add some arrangements that I have, at least, partially created, instead of trying to find the right style or midi. I know it can be done in a DAW, my Pa4x, and BIAB. I tire, sometimes, of being a mere copycat. It is time for a new challenge, despite my age.

Bernie

#463048 - 12/13/18 07:56 AM Re: Jingle Bells [Re: Bernie9]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Originally Posted By Bernie9
"...... but it is time to add some arrangements that I have, at least, partially created, instead of trying to find the right style or midi. I know it can be done in a DAW, my Pa4x, and BIAB. I tire, sometimes, of being a mere copycat. It is time for a new challenge, despite my age."
Bernie

Bernie, first of all, as you know, age is just a number ...
As for creating or partially creating an arrangement, the easiest way to start might be with your Pa4X ... I would think it would be at least as easy as my Pa900 to change a style, or create a backing track arrangement ...
The last two songs I posted were tracks made directly on the Pa900, and "South of the Border" was done in about an hour from start to recording the vocal (I know it may sound like it, but you get my drift) ...
Good luck with your "challenge", make it a fun exercise, and I would love to hear something you create ...

#463053 - 12/13/18 09:46 AM Re: Jingle Bells [Re: IMMusic_Curt]
IMMusic_Curt Offline

Bernie,
I agree with Tony. Maybe start by just recording one track. For example, take a style mute the bass line and record your own bass line. Something that simple can make a big change in the overall arrangement.

#463055 - 12/13/18 10:30 AM Re: Jingle Bells [Re: bruno123]

So what is a DAW?

John C.

#463056 - 12/13/18 10:33 AM Re: Jingle Bells [Re: bruno123]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA

#463058 - 12/13/18 10:52 AM Re: Jingle Bells [Re: IMMusic_Curt]
IMMusic_Curt Offline

Good link Tony. Some may also know by the name Cakewalk, Sonar or Logic and there a number of other ones out there. Basically allows you to record MIDI or Audio data. You can record your whole performance at once on to a single track or the way we do which is one "track" at a time. For example, track 1 = Piano part. Track 2 = the bass line, Track 3 = Acoustic Guitar, Track 4 = Percussion, etc.

For more info:
Cakewalk
Logic Pro

#463061 - 12/13/18 12:25 PM Re: Jingle Bells [Re: IMMusic_Curt]
Bernie9 Online   content

In addition to the above suggestions regarding my Pa4X, I may look at Cakewalk by Bandlab, which I downloaded months ago. Along with BIAB, I can digest enough info in order to choose my best workflow. I am guessing it will be some of all three. Unfortunately, I don't dabble, but jump into the quagmire and dig myself out.

Thank you all for the suggestions.
Bernie

#463063 - 12/13/18 12:52 PM Re: Jingle Bells [Re: IMMusic_Curt]
jingleman Offline

Loc: The Villages, FL, USA
Good link Tony. Some may also know by the name Cakewalk, Sonar or Logic and there a number of other ones out there. Basically allows you to record MIDI or Audio data. You can record your whole performance at once on to a single track or the way we do which is one "track" at a time. For example, track 1 = Piano part. Track 2 = the bass line, Track 3 = Acoustic Guitar, Track 4 = Percussion, etc.

Curt: Why can’t arranger keyboards output individual tracks through usb. Yamaha has included this technology with modx and montage. This would allow overdubbing or replacing certain voices with vst’s or improve a mix for final release. If the technology is already in place (Yamaha), why not implement it.

#463064 - 12/13/18 01:22 PM Re: Jingle Bells [Re: jingleman]

Thank you Tony. The magic word is AUDIO -- all my work was done with midi, it was in in the Kn7000 days.

John C.

#463072 - 12/13/18 03:49 PM Re: Jingle Bells [Re: Bernie9]
W Tracy Parnell Online   content

Loc: NY
Originally Posted By Bernie9
In addition to the above suggestions regarding my Pa4X, I may look at Cakewalk by Bandlab, which I downloaded months ago. Along with BIAB, I can digest enough info in order to choose my best workflow. I am guessing it will be some of all three. Unfortunately, I don't dabble, but jump into the quagmire and dig myself out.

Thank you all for the suggestions.
Bernie

Bernie, IMO BIAB works best in conjunction with a DAW. There is now a VST plug-in available that will let you drop tracks into your DAW of choice. It will also let you audition up to seven (I think it is) parts from any Realtrack and decide which one to use. I used to do this "by hand" by reloading the tracks and saving several that I would then cut and paste from to make a better sounding part. I haven't used the new plugin yet but it should make the workflow easier.

Bottom line-BIAB is great for adding parts to a composition that would be otherwise hard to do or even impossible if you don't play a certain instrument. For example, a keyboard player who wants guitar parts but doesn't play guitar.

#463077 - 12/13/18 09:01 PM Re: Jingle Bells [Re: jingleman]
Bachus Offline

Originally Posted By jingleman

Curt: Why can’t arranger keyboards output individual tracks through usb. Yamaha has included this technology with modx and montage. This would allow overdubbing or replacing certain voices with vst’s or improve a mix for final release. If the technology is already in place (Yamaha), why not implement it.

Because Yamaha has always been spreading their latest technology over several instruments..

When Genos arrived i made a long list of technology in other Yamaha instruments not available in their most expensive keyboard Genos. This one was high on the list.

Also works the other way, why arent there any ensemble or SA2 voices in Montage?

http://keyszone.boards.net

#463083 - 12/14/18 01:11 AM Re: Jingle Bells [Re: IMMusic_Curt]
Bernie9 Online   content

Bernie, IMO BIAB works best in conjunction with a DAW

Thanks, that's a good tip.

#463084 - 12/14/18 02:21 AM Re: Jingle Bells [Re: IMMusic_Curt]
guitpic1 Offline

Loc: Missouri

😊👍👍

#463086 - 12/14/18 04:08 AM Re: Jingle Bells [Re: jingleman]
IMMusic_Curt Offline

Originally Posted By jingleman

A good question. I suspect no matter what features are/aren't included there is probably a pretty good chance we all will question why they did/didn't include that one killer feature that is important to us. Now, if you think outside of the box a little, it is possible, on some arrangers, to take a style and output it as a midi file. Once that is done, you can open that file with a DAW and modify it however you want. Next, save it and then import it back into your arranger. Doing that requires following a strict file format with various markers in the file that indicate part "A," "B," Intro, Ending, Fill - etc. Not for the faint of heart and a tedious process.

Edited by IMMusic_Curt (12/14/18 04:21 AM)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online