SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#462860 - 12/10/18 01:37 PM My NC2X and Donny's T-shirt
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
I decided to record my Studiologic NC2X. Full of bloopers but who cares (it's jazz, right smile ). This is their version of the Mark I Rhodes (not very authentic, especially compared to my SEVEN) but the board is very playable. I haven't recorded the organ voices yet - still tweaking to try to get it to sound at least as good as the Nords.

It's been kind of gloomy around here lately so I thought I'd do something really 'hokey'. You may or may not recognize it as there are lots of bloopers, but in case you don't, it's an ageless tune called Blue Skies (Skys ?? ). I forgot the melody in a couple of places and it's hardly a 'jazz' tune, but hey, anything's a jazz tune if you just put a shuffle beat behind it smile. Hmmm, I really should have rehearsed it a couple of times. Anyhoo.....

https://app.box.com/s/1bavlgmn0a0uqof141qwg6y4hp5d2025

chas

#462867 - 12/10/18 06:30 PM Re: My NC2X and Donny's T-shirt [Re: cgiles]
bruno123 Online   content

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
Chas, another winner. I am going to make a CD of your music--- I understand your way of playing a song. Never doubted what song it was, and I did not feel you lost the melody.

The trick of a good musician, play the wrong note and make it sound right. My friend once said that you can’t make a mistake when playing Jazz. If you play the wrong note quickly move to the note next to it. (smile)

John C.

#462872 - 12/10/18 07:27 PM Re: My NC2X and Donny's T-shirt [Re: cgiles]
cgiles Offline

Thanks John. As I've gotten older...well old, actually, I've gotten very lazy about playing. If I'm recording, if it's 'close', I'll just let it go and not redo it. It's like, when you're practicing, you come up with all kinds of good licks, but as soon as you hit 'record', your brain (and fingers) goes into stupid mode. Probably doesn't happen when you're gigging regularly, but old age certainly factors into it.

chas

#462875 - 12/10/18 08:40 PM Re: My NC2X and Donny's T-shirt [Re: cgiles]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Chas, very nice version of Blue Skies. You still got it! Your fingers sound young to me. smile
I know you're a Willie fan and have heard his version too.

#462879 - 12/11/18 01:31 AM Re: My NC2X and Donny's T-shirt [Re: DonM]
bruno123 Online   content

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
Chas, there was a guitar player that would hum his jazz lines while he was playing, Toots T????????? His lines were original.

I had students who could not play a jazz line, but they could hum a jazz line with no effort. I did teach my students the scale modes that are used in improvisation, and then told them to forget their names and try not to use them when they were searching for a line unless they wanted to sound like every other guitar player. Those scales were in the heart of the students – they found their way into their playing without thought.

I love this subject, John C.

PS, my last thought: Do note play from your fingers, play from your heart, sound like Chas. That is what I hear from your playing now.

#462888 - 12/11/18 04:37 AM Re: My NC2X and Donny's T-shirt [Re: cgiles]
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
Chas, Nice job always liked that tune.

#462889 - 12/11/18 04:49 AM Re: My NC2X and Donny's T-shirt [Re: cgiles]
Gunnar Jonny Online   content

Loc: Norway
Originally Posted By cgiles
...when you're practicing, you come up with all kinds of good licks, but as soon as you hit 'record', your brain (and fingers) goes into stupid mode..

What a great relief there is to hear that there are more than me who experience this. Specially when it comes from professional players.
Even though I'm just an amateur and not recording, this happens when I play with others or listeners present.
When it comes to hit the right key at the right time, and then suddenly, it did not work out the way as when practiced.... shocked

Lovely version of Blue Skies.
The first name that strikes my mind when see that title is Jim Reeves,
but as a jazzy version I also think I've heard Ella Fitzgerald recording.
"Success is not counted by how high you have climbed
but by how many you brought with you." (Wil Rose)

#462893 - 12/11/18 05:37 AM Re: My NC2X and Donny's T-shirt [Re: Gunnar Jonny]
Dnj Offline

clap cool2

I really enjoyed listening,...Great song,
with a bit of Vol parts balance mix attention
all will be sensational in a tasty way... cool2

Edited by Dnj (12/11/18 07:11 AM)

#462899 - 12/11/18 06:18 AM Re: My NC2X and Donny's T-shirt [Re: DonM]
cgiles Offline

Originally Posted By DonM

I know you're a Willie fan and have heard his version too.

Of course. And I'm not just a recent fan; I've been a Willie fan since before he became a Country superstar, back when he was writing all those great R&B tunes. That, plus his efforts with Farm Aid and other humanitarian projects, plus the 'aroma' inside his tour bus smile , and of course his gigantic musical gifts.

chas

#462901 - 12/11/18 06:41 AM Re: My NC2X and Donny's T-shirt [Re: cgiles]
Riceroni9 Offline

Loc: TX, USA
Morning, Chas:

What a treat! I kept expecting Ella or Julie to "break-in" with a vocal from "Heaven"... (maybe even Mason)... but your playing style is just right for my "expert ears!"

Thanks for sharing your talent with us. ----Dave

P.S. Merry Christmas from West Mayberry!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online