SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#462925 - 12/11/18 01:20 PM Re: When You Quit Playing [Re: guitpic1]
travlin'easy Online   happy

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
I retired two years ago because of heath issues. I didn't want to retire. I was making a damned good living, working nearly every day, sometimes doubles, and an occasional triple. I mainly did the senior circuit, best pay, best hours and best audiences. I also filled in for friends at restaurant and nite club jobs, plus I also did some private parties and political fund raisers.

Now that I am retired, I still play the keyboard about two nights a week for an hour or so in the office where it is set up. Most of the time, I'm trying to learn songs that I never performed regularly, or new songs (old songs that I never heard before). The pain in my lower back and neck is excruciating at times, my inability to breathe without supplemental oxygen has taken it's toll. Sometimes I cannot get through a song without coughing uncontrollably, which is disheartening to say the least. And, just a few weeks ago I was told that I have macular degeneration, which leads to blindness. Last night, I was trying to play a song from the movie "Ballad of Cable Hogue", a beautiful, lively, Irish song that I heard for the first time while watching the movie on my Fire Stick. I got to coughing real bad and completely lost the sight in my left eye. Docs think I may have dislodged by lens implant. After a couple hours and some eye drops, I got most of my sight back, but my left eye is still a bit fuzzy. Scary!

I guess I'll continue to plink on those plastic keys till I'm unable to cope with the other stuff, then I'll just spend my time sailing with some hot honey on Chesapeake Bay until I cannot do that anymore. Gettin' old ain't fer wimps and sissies! wink

Gary cool

Edited by travlin'easy (12/11/18 01:22 PM)
Edit Reason: spelling

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#462928 - 12/11/18 02:05 PM Re: When You Quit Playing [Re: travlin'easy]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Originally Posted By travlin'easy
... then I'll just spend my time sailing with some hot honey on Chesapeake Bay until I cannot do that anymore.
Gary cool

Unless you mean the kind of 'honey' that comes out of a jar, I think Carol would make sure you're not doing it too long ... drink

#462929 - 12/11/18 02:16 PM Re: When You Quit Playing [Re: guitpic1]
travlin'easy Online   happy

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
My honey comes in a bottle these days. Far less expensive, great tasting, no hassles. wink

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#462931 - 12/11/18 02:24 PM Re: When You Quit Playing [Re: travlin'easy]
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
I'll just spend my time sailing with some hot honey on Chesapeake Bay until I cannot do that anymore. Gettin' old ain't fer wimps and sissies! wink

...neither is hanging out with hot honeys smile.

chas

#462933 - 12/11/18 02:29 PM Re: When You Quit Playing [Re: travlin'easy]
tony mads usa Offline

My honey comes in a bottle these days. Far less expensive, great tasting, no hassles. wink

Gary cool

laugh2

#462938 - 12/11/18 03:24 PM Re: When You Quit Playing [Re: tony mads usa]
tony mads usa Offline

Back to the OP ...
i will 'retire' when the business tells me to by not calling me for gigs ...

Even after that, I believe I will continue to play even for just my own enjoyment until the Lord takes me away ...
I say this for a couple of reasons ... When we had the band in NY and someone would say they 'used to play' we would wonder what that meant - how does anyone 'used to play' ... we couldn't imagine never playing an instrument again, and still feel the same way ...
Also, when I relocated to Rhode Island and left the band behind, having lost the 'security blanket' of my 4 friends and band mates, I did not play professionally for 7 years, but I played constantly at home, especially on weekends when I would play for hours straight ... My wife said to me that she did not want to chase me out of the house, but that I should get some business cards made and go out and look for gigs ... I got a gig in the first restaurant I went into ... the owner told me to sit at the piano and play a few songs ... I did and started playing there two weeks later ... and the rest, as they say, is history ... so, no, I don't think I will ever stop ...

#462947 - 12/11/18 04:28 PM Re: When You Quit Playing [Re: guitpic1]
Bill Lewis Offline

Loc: Bluffton/Hilton Head SC USA
As others have said, when the gigs stop coming. They have been sparse here as I'm an unknown and different then what they're used to. Haven't got the urge to pursue the NH but may do that soon. Love to get a premenent resaturant gig but thats hard to find.
I am playing at home for my own enjoyment a lot more that I did when I just played at hoem to practice something for a gig.
Time will tell but I'll always play one way or another.

#462952 - 12/11/18 11:37 PM Re: When You Quit Playing [Re: guitpic1]
beachbum Offline

Loc: Austin
Interesting topic.. I quit playing and making up new music about 6 months ago... Sold all my gear on ebay... I took up music in 2002 and from "you suck" comments at that times managed to turn it around and worked hard to get the right sound and by the end of the journey, I thought I had some pretty solid songs and thumbs up when I posted... In the end it became a miserable to write songs and took a lot out of me to do it... So, 6 months later I am good... Will see if I ever want to take it up again... But for now Netflix and kicking back with my spare time is good...Plus I have 4 dogs that get more time!

#462955 - 12/12/18 04:40 AM Re: When You Quit Playing [Re: guitpic1]
btweengigs Offline

Loc: Florida, USA
Beachbum...
Many of us here followed you on your song writing and performing journey. I enjoyed watching your progress and how your writing, playing, voice and recording techniques developed over the years. I'm glad you found satisfaction in it and wish you the best.
Eddie

#462958 - 12/12/18 06:14 AM Re: When You Quit Playing [Re: guitpic1]
bruno123 Online   content

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
Beachbum, I had a school of music with over 400 students/ The question that was often was, “How am I doing”. My answer was always the same;
“As long as you are enjoy your playing you are doing good”.

IPORTANT:
Most comments that are made by people are made to
MAKE THEMSELVES FEEL GOOD. There are others who care.

Star posting again, there are people who are sincere in their helping.
John C.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online