SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#46229 - 10/15/02 05:20 AM Probably Off-Topic .... sx-pr604
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hello,

Forgive me if I should not be posting here regarding the sx-pr604 ensemble piano, but I can't seem to find any active technics piano forums - and you seem the sort of folks who might be able to help....

I am thinking about purchasing a 604 (or a Yamaha CVP203), but have a few questions/issues.

** I prefer the piano sound of the 604 but much prefer the electric pianos on the 203 (as a sad 80's throw back, I love the yamaha DX style electric pianos). Any opinions ?

** How well is midi functionality implemented, as I would like to use the 604 as a master keyboard to drive my Korg O1W/Pro, EMU Proteus 1 and very occasionaly an Ensoniq ESQ1.

** How good are the styles/fills/intros/etc on the 604 as compared to the 203 ? I have used the styles on a Yamaha Electone AR80 orgran and they seem pretty good, however I don't have much experience of "arranger" type functionality.

** I would like to be able to purchase and load styles on the 604 as you can on the 203. Is this possible ? Can I convert styles from the Technics arranger keyboards ?

** Lastly, can I load different sounds from other technics instruments ? Is this what NX Sound compatible means ?

My dealer is can only demo the main features, he does not really know about midi, expandability etc.

Hope it was not too long a post.

Best regards and look forward to hearing from you !!
George King

#46230 - 10/15/02 12:26 PM Re: Probably Off-Topic .... sx-pr604
Bud Whipple Offline

Loc: The Plantation, Leesburg, Flor...
George, I can only answer on the PR604, since it's one I've used on occasion. There isn't much I can say to encourage you to buy one of these units if you are going to get into arranging and composing music. They are great sounding standup units, but tough to carry around and certainly don't have the features of a KN6000-7000. It all depends on what you want to do with the thing, I suppose. The KN keyboards have the PR's beat all to pieces when it come to playing functions, sounds, rhythms, etc. You can listen to the sequenced songs and styles from the KN keyboards, but you can't do anything else with them. I don't think the composers are compatible with each other and I also think the versatility of the KN's far outshines the PR's. They just aren't in the same league, and the price difference isn't that great, either. I would highly recommend the new KN7000 if you are into something more than playing music. Composing, arranging and recording music is much enhanced with the KN series. In my opinion, anyway. Hope this helps, and welcome to the forum. Even if you do end up buying a PR, you'll still find things of interest here.

#46231 - 10/15/02 03:41 PM Re: Probably Off-Topic .... sx-pr604
Anonymous
Unregistered

Bud,

Thanks for your reply. The main reason for the purchase is to have a piano - for our children to learn on. It will live full time in our dining room so it has to be a "nice" piece of furniture as well ! It does not therefore need to be portable (for that I use my Korg and EMU).

As a synth player I was just keen to get a digital piano with synth type functions that would keep me interested - i.e. loading new patches, editing patches, sequencing, etc.

I realise that these features are going to be a compromise on an instrument like this so I want to get the best one possible in my price range.

Best Regards
George King

#46232 - 10/15/02 04:57 PM Re: Probably Off-Topic .... sx-pr604
Bill Norrie Offline

Loc: North Yorkshire UK
George, you are not 'Off Topic' this is a Technics instrument forum which is not confined to the KN series. Quite a few of the members have the PR series pianos.
I have heard the PR604 and it's big brother the PR804 and was VERY impressed with the sounds and facilities on these instruments. One feature which may be of particular interest to you, since you mentioned that your children would use it to learn, is the inclusion of the 'Progessive Pianist' training facility on the PR804. It is certainly worth looking at but not knowing what your budget is, the 804 may be a bit expensive.
Welcome to the Forum George

------------------
Willum

After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is Music.
Aldous Huxley
( especially when the music is played on a KN7000....)

#46233 - 10/15/02 06:26 PM Re: Probably Off-Topic .... sx-pr604
Lanny Offline

Loc: Placitas, NM USA
George,

Glad to see posting about ensemble pianos. I have a PR 702 that I have been thrilled with and have played both the 604 and 804 a very little bit. I have a brochure on them, so can answer questions about the differences between the two models if you have any.

The x04 series is a natural progression from the previous models, retaining all the really nice operating features but with updated rhythms and sounds. I don't think you could go wrong with either one.

I don't have any experience with the Yamaha you mentioned, but have played the CVP 209 and thought it to be a fine instrument as well.

Lanny

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online